Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #811
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
So is it camera or cameras?? Looks like the K-3 is coming soon. Any others on their way for this year?
My apologies, when I posted this thread I wasn't quite sure if the guy I had spoken to was alluding to one or more new cameras.

I guess we still don't know, but recent rumors would suggest one.

10-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #812
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
My apologies, when I posted this thread I wasn't quite sure if the guy I had spoken to was alluding to one or more new cameras.

I guess we still don't know, but recent rumors would suggest one.
True. The only other camera that could theoretically be refreshed would be the 645D but we've not had any leaked pictures or much in the way of rumours. So if it is coming before the end of the year I think the announcement is still a way off. Big IF there.
10-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #813
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What's this? Facts and logic in this thread? Stop that immediately!
LOL! I must agree. Facts and logic has gone out the window, except for a few posts. No matter what Ricoh releases as the next Pentax, how many of us will be really happy with what they release? The "wishlist" has grown so long that at least some of use will be sorely disappointed.
10-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #814

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
True. The only other camera that could theoretically be refreshed would be the 645D but we've not had any leaked pictures or much in the way of rumours. So if it is coming before the end of the year I think the announcement is still a way off. Big IF there.
Maybe Pentax is a bit worried about rumors spreading about Canon entering the MF market and they are considering their next move more carefully.

10-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #815
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Maybe Pentax is a bit worried about rumors spreading about Canon entering the MF market and they are considering their next move more carefully.
Or maybe, the 645D being quite popular in Japan, they prefer to wait until CP+ (Yokohama, Japan; 13-16 February 2014) to make a 645D-related announcement.
10-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #816
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
Of course they are worried. Everyone is worried. But users shouldn't be.
Pentax will most likely loose any kind of possible advantage with its 645D system, because they have spent 3 years in that market, doing nothing and playing pinball while Ricoh was throwing dices and asked astrologers what to do next with Pentax.
If Canon enters that market, they will conquer it in 18 months, and expand it further. MF will be totally invigorated as all other players are totally incapable of invigorating it, or adding any new value.
Canon can save that market and give it a new dimension.
10-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #817
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Canon can save that market and give it a new dimension.
Or maybe the THREAT of Canon will cause the current players to wake up. I think this is an area Pentax has a large POTENTIAL advantage. But they need to get out in front and make it not worth Canon's time. Which means a new 645d, soon. Plus more support in the lens, accessories and software areas.

10-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #818
Forum Member

recently read somewhere that Sony was listed as a "medium format" exhibitor at an upcoming show... Perhaps they'll be making some wicked new sensors that Nikon and possibly Pentax will utilize in next-gen MFD bodies.
10-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #819
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
recently read somewhere that Sony was listed as a "medium format" exhibitor at an upcoming show... Perhaps they'll be making some wicked new sensors that Nikon and possibly Pentax will utilize in next-gen MFD bodies.
If Canon goes MF and others can only rely on CCDs, they will fry very quickly IMO.

Canon has the resources to sell lower price at first to win the market. Also they'd produce modern MF sized-CMOS.
That would kill CCDs based cameras IMO. Not what I wish but... if as Aglet says, Sony ventures into bigger CMOS, as Sony is now feeling the heat of Toshiba, Aptina. Sony may want to go higher upmarket ?
10-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #820
Pentaxian

I'm not really sure how the MF market suddenly has so much potential, that everyone wants to get in
Samsung, Canon, Sony... with the existing players, it would be the most crowded camera market.
10-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #821
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not really sure how the MF market suddenly has so much potential, that everyone wants to get in
Samsung, Canon, Sony... with the existing players, it would be the most crowded camera market.
Now, you don't see why. Just to make Pentax worst buy ever in this sector too, simple. MF is the new FF.
Suddenly newcomers with less new lenses for MF would be better and more viable alternative, just enough to piss some one off.
10-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #822
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well the MF market itself may be defined by the high megapixel and high bit colour depth demands of professionals in the advertising and modelling industries (to name two obvious ones) but there is nothing inherent within a MF sized sensor that restricts it to these sectors other than cost and size (and maybe current technology).

Both cost and size of MF bodies could theoretically be brought down with investment - especially by a company with sensor design skills and facilities like Canon; which is also a company that could design their mount from scratch to be as compact as possible.

However, I don't see this happening as 35mm sensors are starting to edge into the low end MF market anyway and Canon would risk cannibalising its own sales. Pentax on the other hand, whilst not having a FF market to protect, and having an existing mount and lens catalogue, doesn't have the ability to drive forward MF sensor technology by itself.

The interesting thing in all of this is of course Samsung's prototype MF sensor of a couple of years ago.... Although there's been no word about that since.
10-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #823
Pentaxian

Caat, but Pentax already made the step with the 645D - much more affordable than any other DMF.
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Now, you don't see why. Just to make Pentax worst buy ever in this sector too, simple. MF is the new FF.
Suddenly newcomers with less new lenses for MF would be better and more viable alternative, just enough to piss some one off.
You have a point. I suppose the next thing will be for everyone to make a Q equivalent?
10-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #824
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Or maybe the THREAT of Canon will cause the current players to wake up. I think this is an area Pentax has a large POTENTIAL advantage. But they need to get out in front and make it not worth Canon's time. Which means a new 645d, soon. Plus more support in the lens, accessories and software areas.
Smart companies create new opportunities, expand current markets and create new markets. Pentax brand did that only once, 60 years ago. They also entered MF digital market 3 years ago and did nothing; didn't expand the market, nor created anything new from it. They are sleepers.

So Ricoh seems to be incapable to lead there.

If Canon enters that market, they surely aim to conquer it, lead and expand, to make it worth entering. Creating all new game of new values.

Which means, other players will soon become marginalised. Canon won't enter it with one camera and one new lens, and wait two more years to make another, for God's sake! And what is most important, they won't depend on some small chip maker to deliver them ancient tech MF sensors; they can do all sensor tech in house.

And that is one reason why Ricoh Imaging will most likely always be the follower, or, "an alternative" to industry leading providers. Ricoh obviously has Canon as a role model, but doesn't have Canon's pastures.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.
10-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Smart companies create new opportunities, expand current markets and create new markets. Pentax brand did that only once, 60 years ago. They also entered MF digital market 3 years ago and did nothing; didn't expand the market, nor created anything new from it. They are sleepers.

So Ricoh seems to be incapable to lead there.

If Canon enters that market, they surely aim to conquer it, lead and expand, to make it worth entering. Creating all new game of new values.

Which means, other players will soon become marginalised. Canon won't enter it with one camera and one new lens, and wait two more years to make another, for God's sake! And what is most important, they won't depend on some small chip maker to deliver them ancient tech MF sensors; they can do all sensor tech in house.

And that is one reason why Ricoh Imaging will most likely always be the follower, or, "an alternative" to industry leading providers. Ricoh obviously has Canon as a role model, but doesn't have Canon's pastures.
Holy moly! That's what I mean....I thought that Pentax had a system already, just W/O digital back/camera for MF...while Canon has nothing, Zero, plans...so they have to come up with all bells and whistles...Suddenly it makes Pentax sleepers, gradually expanding with digital also. Also being most affordable MF system by the date, with possible Update behind the corner...plans, but still having one at pro/entustic shooters hands already. ! ? ! So far Canooon MF looks like pentax FF, and still Canon looks better