Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #871
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ok, so it should be possible for Sony to market an AF PK to E adapter? If they do that, and market that pretty FF OMD-clone then there will be more people jumping then ever.
Not without Ricoh's agreement since they would use Ricoh's intellectual property / infringe Ricoh's IP rights in doing so.

It would be easier the other way around (Ricoh obtaining a licence from Sony to design an autofocus K-to-E adapter) but what would be Ricoh 's interest in proposing such an adapter? Promote the use of old Pentax lenses? the sale of NEXs?

10-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #872
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Geez Uluru what's the problem with you since 2 days ago, you moan about everything....

Who said the K5-II would go away?

K500 - K50 - K5-II - K3

Seems allright to me, as long as they can keep prices sufficiently apart.
I made a similar post but immediately deleted it - Moderator bait and all. Depressing.
10-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #873
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Not to mention that a good EVF will ad a lot of costs. That's why implemention of such can't really be seen as cost cutting at all, but should be seen as an enhancement. A step forward to make use of its advantages other then lowering costs. Look at the rumored Sony FF OMD clone... (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/238609...look-like.html) It's beautifull, very ergonomic, sturdy and mounts just about each and every lens out there. It's exactly the 3 points that got me into Pentax: beauty, ergonomics and (backwards) compatibility.

Edit: I'm obviously not an engineer, but the fact that there are no AF adapters from other mounts to E-mount makes me assume it's probably an egineering nightmare. But affordable AF adapters would work in Sony's advantage. The market for those is bigger then E-mount market itself, as it will pull lots of people over. Imagine being able to just use your precious KAF lenses (or canon or nikon lenses AF lenses) on E-mount. As a Sony user you then wouldn't have to stay with one foot in your old brand, because you have some nice lenses of them laying around.
According to this article, lens adapters aren't the same thing as having a native mount lens:

LensRentals.com - There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters
10-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #874
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I made a similar post but immediately deleted it - Moderator bait and all. Depressing.
LOL I know what you feel.
Usually I react a lot more heavily but since I got a mod in the face only a week or so ago, I used the handbrake

10-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #875
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
According to this article, lens adapters aren't the same thing as having a native mount lens:

LensRentals.com - There Is No Free Lunch, Episode 763: Lens Adapters
Sorry, I've been adapting lenses to my NEX for years now. And I've been using Pentax lenses on my 5DmkII with adapters for equally long. And even as a relentless pixelpeeper I've never noticed any of the symptoms described in that article. So either the problem doesn't exist, or it's to small for me to notice. Either way, I don't care.
10-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Because cutting off your existing user base from using their expensive lens collections and minimizing the number of lenses available at launch would be a GREAT strategy for launching a full frame platform...
I think Pentax needs to make a decision based on what has the most "future" for the brand. The problem, as I see it, with the current k mount, is not anything to do with electronics. It is just that it has a pretty long registration distance as compared to most of the more "modern" mounts.

Pentax certainly cannot base their decision purely based off of what would make members of the Pentax Forums happy. For one thing, we are all over the place -- some wanting k mount forever, while others want EVF, new lens mount. If Pentax would use a new lens mount, they would make an adapter which would be OK. Not perfect, but if the rest of the camera was good enough to sell well and there were good new lens options with it, it certainly could be a hit.
10-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #877
Pentaxian

Geez Uluru what's the problem with you since 2 days ago, you moan about everything....

Who said the K5-II would go away?

K500 - K50 - K5-II - K3

Seems allright to me, as long as they can keep prices sufficiently apart.
That is why the seemingly contradictory rumours of a 20 mp and 24 mp bodies make some sense. I predict we will see a K5Mk3 and a K-3 this fall. Pentax released the K50 and K500 at the same time to cover different market slices.

10-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax certainly cannot base their decision purely based off of what would make members of the Pentax Forums happy. For one thing, we are all over the place -- some wanting k mount forever, while others want EVF, new lens mount. If Pentax would use a new lens mount, they would make an adapter which would be OK. Not perfect, but if the rest of the camera was good enough to sell well and there were good new lens options with it, it certainly could be a hit.
Based upon Ricoh Senior Management comments over the last year, I predict

Pentax (brand) will strategically retain the K-mount as the mirrored dSLR mount - their traditional system camera mount - q and 645. There will be a dSLR K-mount FF body, but not "soon" (by our definition of soon).

Ricoh (brand) will (eventually) release a FF MILC with an OLED EVF, a new, modern, electronic mount, new lenses - in short, all the "new technology" toys. The limiting factror today is EVF technology, which Ricoh believes is not yet sufficiently advanced. They believe OLED is the right technology for an EVF.
10-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #879
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL I know what you feel.
Usually I react a lot more heavily but since I got a mod in the face only a week or so ago, I used the handbrake
I'm supposed to be on Double-Secret Probation, but I just can't seem to go an entire day without making at lest one post.
10-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #880
Veteran Member

Pentax (brand) will strategically retain the K-mount as the mirrored dSLR mount - their traditional system camera mount - q and 645. There will be a dSLR K-mount FF body, but not "soon" (by our definition of soon).

Ricoh (brand) will (eventually) release a FF MILC with an OLED EVF, a new, modern, electronic mount, new lenses - in short, all the "new technology" toys. The limiting factror today is EVF technology, which Ricoh believes is not yet sufficiently advanced. They believe OLED is the right technology for an EVF.
I think the word "soon" for full frame has been thrown around since the *istD, just to give it a little perspective
10-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think the word "soon" for full frame has been thrown around since the *istD, just to give it a little perspective
Even before the *istD, remember the MZ-D.
10-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #882
Veteran Member

No offense meant, but for Ricoh to talk about EVF technology being "not yet sufficiently advanced" while we are holding in our hands Nex cameras with OLED EVF, and enjoying the experience; well its good for a laugh. I just hope they have something more interesting than OLED EVF to write about in their future advertising.
10-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #883
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
No offense meant, but for Ricoh to talk about EVF technology being "not yet sufficiently advanced" while we are holding in our hands Nex cameras with OLED EVF, and enjoying the experience; well its good for a laugh. I just hope they have something more interesting than OLED EVF to write about in their future advertising.
I merely report. Those are the words that were used last April. He said LED Evf's weren't yet up to the task. OLED might be a different story. (3rd to last paragraph)

I think we might be surprised within a week.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-04-2013 at 10:54 AM.
10-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Pentax needs to make a decision based on what has the most "future" for the brand. The problem, as I see it, with the current k mount, is not anything to do with electronics. It is just that it has a pretty long registration distance as compared to most of the more "modern" mounts.

Nikon is doomed, they should change the mount asap - giving up on whatever market share they have on the DSLR market

Stop with this nonsense. There's no reason for Pentax to abandon the K-mount and the much larger DSLR market, in order to start from scratch with a new MILC system.
Those wanting to migrate to MILCs should do so, without asking for entire companies to migrate with them. There are lots of options, just choose one! Even worse, you're implying that we, those who like Pentax for what it is - a traditional SLR manufacturer - should be completely disregarded and either forced to go MILC or to jump ship. You have the guts to decide what's "OK" for me!
And your "it certainly could be a hit" is an interesting construction... certainly could be? Is it certain, is it possible or you don't know but made it up because you'd like Pentax to give up on K-mount and us?

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.
10-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #885
Pentaxian

I merely report. Those are the words that were used last April. He said LED Evf's weren't yet up to the task. OLED might be a different story. (3rd to last paragraph)

I think we might be surprised within a week.
I think we'll be surprised with different "goodies".