Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #916
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I could be totally wrong, but my impression is that companies often give up on products (in this case a camera model) when such products no longer sell significantly in the marketplace. They don't give up products because of a coupla posts on the internet
That's entirely correct (of course, long-time strategy also matters, and the definition of "significantly" varies a lot).
However, I never said the companies are adjusting their strategies following internet posting.

QuoteQuote:
But i don't think it will be 10 years before something happens to the DSLRs. Sony doesn't give out numbers but there were reports earlier in 2013 that their A-mount sales weren't satisfying so they've already announced that the SLT concept is no more. They also mentioned that the Nex models were making a profit. Then we read that they are shifting efforts to produce a FF Nex (mirrorless of course) as a priority over other camera projects. That announcement was several months ago. There have been repeated rumors recently that not just one, but 2 Nex FF Nex cameras will be issued in October 2013 and that a FF A-mount will be announced in 2014. So you have a company that is not happy with its DSLR-like sales, and has the capability and sensors to disrupt the status-quo in the market place. Sony has already manufactured the RX-1, a FF mirrorless camera with a fixed lens. Since they did that, they certainly can do the ILC camera.
We'll see; so far MILCs aren't gaining any terrain over DSLRs, and that's a fact. I will remind you this was about the immediate future, not what could happen in 10 years.
Sony is not the best example, as they no longer makes DSLRs (the SLT is basically a MILC with a legacy mount). The 3 players on the DSLR market are Canon, Nikon, Pentax. That's all.

QuoteQuote:
I just can't conceive that Canon and Nikon are going to sit idly by, and watch Sony have the only mirrorless ILC FF cameras without starting their own efforts towards a mirrorless ILC FF cameras (that ultimately will replace the DSLR). Sure, Sony doesn't have, i think, the lenses to compete full on with the Nikon and Canon lines, but third party lens mfrs could help with that. I don't know what Pentax has in the works, they are so good at keeping secrets :-)
The good thing about the rumored Sony FF MILC is that we'll see the market size, for such a product. IMHO is vastly overestimated by the MILC supporters.
I'll ignore the speculations that everyone must be working on similar products, just because Sony does (Sony, who has no other chance to make upper level cameras). Mr. Kitazawa of Pentax actually said: "it was our conclusion that APS-C should be the utmost size for mirrorless segment" - and IMHO that's better than mere speculation.

QuoteQuote:
So, i don't think it will even be 5 years before we see something happening to the DSLR type cameras. Meanwhile, I'll continue to use my APS size Pentax and Sony cameras because i don't want to carry around larger lenses, but some day.... i might buy one if the price comes down to something i can consider :-)
From 10 years now it's down to less than 5; we'll see about that.

10-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #917
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
It is pretty much the same. Arguments against such an adapter appear to be classic FUD: spreading "fear, uncertainty, doubt".

It isn't a case of all cameras switching over at once, and all lenses having to be adapted at once! The process will take years, and I would expect Ricoh/Pentax to carry its customer base with it to continue its strategy of building credibility as a company to that can be relied on.
I'm afraid you don't understand the most important argument against such an adapter: that too many people don't want to adapt their modern lenses to a mirrorless system. MILC fans assumption is that everyone would be fine with such a migration, which is BS.
As long as there are 5 DSLRs sold for each MILC, building a strategy based on such a migration would be a grave mistake. And specifically for Pentax, their K-mount must be and is a priority, much more than copying Sony into making a NEX-like system.
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #918
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife is about as average as they come (and I guess I'm closer to average than most Forum members). She's absolutely delighted with the Q/02/06 with its tiny sensor I gave her to upgrade from her Optio A40 (which she also enjoyed). She actually takes more photos than I do, prints someting every week (uploaded to Walgreens and picked up in an hour) and displays on the web on her blog. For her right now a V1 would be overkill but I expect Pentax will release some iteration of a APSc MILC someday (Qx?)

I imagine there are several orders of magnitude more photographers in the world like her than like the members of PF.

As much as I theoretically object to adapters I've had more fun with the Q and the K>Q adapter than just about any photography tool since I got the K10D. The reality is, if I can have electrical contacts and AF functionality with my current lenses, how does an adapter differ from the Auto Extension Tube Set K I've had for decades?
Definitely. What people want are a small package, but with controls of a larger camera and better image quality than point and shoots/camera phones have. Just as APS-C and four thirds cameras are "compromises" as compared to full frame, even smaller sensored cameras are also compromises. There is no "perfect" camera and so the question is what works for the majority of people.

That said, I am happy with the SLR format and will stick with it till something truly better comes along.
10-07-2013, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #919
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Thank you God,
for the opulent, endless supply of overhears
and reassuring personal confessions,
messages as bold as victory's spears
of Ricoh sales representatives, heralds of future bright,
conveyed to camera stores sales people,
for their contentment, and to our own delight.
My turn for some prose, courtesy of Mr Shakespeare:

"Life is a game.
Everyone ridicules everyone else.
But he who has the last laugh
Laughs longest."

10-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #920
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
My turn for some prose, courtesy of Mr Shakespeare:

"Life is a game.
Everyone ridicules everyone else.
But he who has the last laugh
Laughs longest."
When in doubt, turn to Mr Shakespeare...
10-08-2013, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #921
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
When in doubt, turn to Mr Shakespeare...
"What's in a name? A Pentax by any other name (i.e. Ricoh) would smell as sweet"
10-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #922
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm afraid you don't understand the most important argument against such an adapter: that too many people don't want to adapt their modern lenses to a mirrorless system. MILC fans assumption is that everyone would be fine with such a migration, which is BS.
As long as there are 5 DSLRs sold for each MILC, building a strategy based on such a migration would be a grave mistake. And specifically for Pentax, their K-mount must be and is a priority, much more than copying Sony into making a NEX-like system.
I do understand the argument. I simply don't believe what you say is the whole truth, and misses the point.

I won't bother with more here, because I've said it at length before, and I haven't seen what I consider to be credible responses from you.

10-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #923
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast full frame cameras
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ricoh, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

(Just a little something I wrote about the future. Channeling some of the despairing thoughts I have read recently on the forum).
10-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #924
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the K-3 finally announced... think anything else is up in the pipeline? Will there be a 645D II?
10-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #925
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Will there be a 645D II?
They might as well bundle that one with a light aircraft for aerial photography, as much as I could afford one
10-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #926
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
With the K-3 finally announced... think anything else is up in the pipeline? Will there be a 645D II?
And of course the FullFrame. Which could be the source of the 40MP rumor wrt the K-3. Or did they mix up the 4K movie function with the megapixel count???
10-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #927
Pentaxian

There was a rumor there would be 5 new dslrs this year. We have three up unttil now k-50 k-500 k-3. So there will be a 645D II and a FF (or a 67D )
10-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There was a rumor there would be 5 new dslrs this year. We have three up unttil now k-50 k-500 k-3. So there will be a 645D II and a FF (or a 67D )
I could spoil your hopes by counting : K50, K500, K3 black and K3 silver.
That still leaves room for a 645D II
10-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #929
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
Don't forget all the k-50 colour variations.
10-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #930
Veteran Member

In another? thread, Uluru, who seems to have some 'unique insight', suggests that 2 models might be announced around Jan. One higher than the K3, and 1 lower.

QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote