Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Sigma mount conversion rumor

Sigma to announce mount conversion services on Thursday | Photo Rumors

If it is true, all Sigma lenses will be available with Pentax mount.

07-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I forget where I read it, but earlier today I saw this story and it was a $300 charge and only on their new Contemporary/Art/Sport range. All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up until the official press release...
07-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Obviously they will only convert lenses to K-mount if they already have a K-mount version of that lens. And if I understood correctly it's will only be done on a few of the latest lenses, but I guess future lenses will be prepared for mount replacement too.

There is no reason to believe that Sigma will do it for free, why on earth would they do that?

Edit:
And I guess it will only be done on lenses where all version has AF-motor in the lens. To be able to do it for a reasonable cost it must be easy to replace the mount. They might be able to keep the electronics, and just replace the firmware in the lens.

Last edited by Fogel70; 07-30-2013 at 02:42 PM.
07-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Already posted and discussed here. It's MUCH more expensive than Leica's existing service for example.

07-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SIgma provides pretty good service. They even rechipped Sigma-made Quantaray 24/2.8 (Canon mount) that people grabbed on the cheap when Ritz Camera when broke. Until they ran out of chips.
07-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I want to watch this deal as I didn't pick up a 50-150 2.8 during clearance. And I don't see much sign that they're thick upon the ground in the used market. This way I could get a Nikon/Canon/SIgma copy and pay for the conversion. With luck, I could get Square Trade to insure it for a reasonable price.

Of course, it's not one of the new lines but we haven't seen the details on the offer yet.

The Pentax 50-135 specs are good but I'm looking for at least moderately quick AF (grandkids, aircraft, etc,) and I'm not enthralled with the idea of taking it out of service for SDM repair every 12-24 months. Many here have had good experiences but I don't way to worry about it. Of course, I could buy two ......
07-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Obviously they will only convert lenses to K-mount if they already have a K-mount version of that lens. And if I understood correctly it's will only be done on a few of the latest lenses, but I guess future lenses will be prepared for mount replacement too.

It isn't obvious to me. Why couldn't they take any Nikon lens and convert it to a K mount? I would think they would have to shave a bit off the end of the lens and slap a K mount on it.

07-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is what passes for exciting in the photo world these days......<yawn>

....zzzzzzzzzzzzz..................zzzzzz.............zzzz........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........
07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
It isn't obvious to me. Why couldn't they take any Nikon lens and convert it to a K mount? I would think they would have to shave a bit off the end of the lens and slap a K mount on it.
Because I think most users would want AF on the lens if the convert it to a new mount, and then they would need electronics/software working on the new mount too. So they will not shave off anything, they will remove the old mount and take parts they have on stock for the new mount and screw that on. Then they will need replace the Nikon firmware in the lens by a Pentax version made for that lens, and then test/calibrate AF on the new mount

New Sigma lenses is designed with this in mind, so it can be done easy and cost effective.

Last edited by Fogel70; 08-01-2013 at 12:31 AM.
08-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's now official:

Change Your Mount | Sigma
08-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Already posted and discussed here. It's MUCH more expensive than Leica's existing service for example.
It is always nice if someone provides a link to where something has been discussed already.

In this case, I guess you mean the thread about the "changing lens mounts" rumour.

BTW, "Leica" is not "Leitax".
I cannot imagine that Leica itself would charge less for a mount conversion than Sigma. Although, given what a Leica lens costs new, a customer should have all sorts of lifetime entitlements.

Also, I guess it remains to be seen how much Sigma will actually charge. Some mentioned "free", others up to "300 EUR". Both of these seem a bit extreme.
08-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shame, I was hoping this would have allowed us to finally get a copy of the 120-300/2.8 for Pentax. The lens *is* in the list, but they only change the mount to mounts the lens is already offered in, so still no Pentax...

Wim
08-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
(...)

Also, I guess it remains to be seen how much Sigma will actually charge. Some mentioned "free", others up to "300 EUR". Both of these seem a bit extreme.
It's stated in the page the link to which is in the message preceding yours

In Europe it's more expensive, €100 / €200 / €325 instead of $80 / $150 / $250. Shipping costs to and back from Japan are to be added on top of these fees in both cases.
08-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It is always nice if someone provides a link to where something has been discussed already.

In this case, I guess you mean the thread about the "changing lens mounts" rumour.

BTW, "Leica" is not "Leitax".
I cannot imagine that Leica itself would charge less for a mount conversion than Sigma. Although, given what a Leica lens costs new, a customer should have all sorts of lifetime entitlements.

Thanks, I always appreciate pedantic corrections. Have a nice day
08-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If this is what passes for exciting in the photo world these days......<yawn>
Not for me. The thing that strikes me is that I can have a 180mm macro and a 800mm F/5.6 with K mounts. I'd rather not pay $13,000 or $18,000 for Canon or Nikon versions of the 800mm.