Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plenty of FA lenses on new Ricoh Imaging Website

Interchangeable Lenses : Digital Cameras : Products | RICOH IMAGING

New Ricoh Imaging website shows a lot of FA lenses never recently listed in an official lineup, such as:
  • SMC PENTAX-FA 20mm-35mm F4 AL
  • SMC PENTAX-FA J 28mm-80mm F3.5-5.6AL
  • SMC PENTAX-FA 28mm-105mm F3.2-F4.5 AL [IF]
  • SMC PENTAX-FA J 75mm-300mm F4.5-F5.8AL

Very interesting ...

07-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting. They have the roadmaps there too, but it looks like the same ones. Also, where's the 560mm?
07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And they give the equivalent focal length in 35mm format. So the 28-105 is really a 43-161? Obviously the equivalent focal length when used on APS-C. Now I'm really confused, I guess that means there is no FF? Pentax really is doomed..

I'm guessing someone finally opened that basement storeroom.
07-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
The PDF roadmap available from the same webpage is weird; although now is second half of 2013, the PDF is from early 2011 or something like that, shows the development of lenses to be issued during 2012, which are already available for purchase (say DA560).

Then, the list of lenses on the webpage itself is confusing, because of the inclusion of the 4 FA lenses not listed before, yet DA560 and DA18-135 are missing — albeit they are selling everywhere.

Then the column "Equivalent focal length in 35mm format" shows WRONG values for FA lenses — values are just automatically multiplied by 1.5 and for FA lenses that is not necessary.

And as a sugar on top, there is a list of lens models discontinued in the Japanese market only.

Geez, it's so confusing! Does ANYBODY at Ricoh know what they are doing and communicating to people?

Last edited by Uluru; 07-31-2013 at 11:35 PM.
07-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

New Ricoh Imaging website shows a lot of FA lenses never recently listed in an official lineup, such as:

Very interesting ...
Hasn't these lenses been available on the Pentax Japanese site for years? I don't think they ever was removed from Japanese market.
07-31-2013, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Then the column "Equivalent focal length in 35mm format" shows WRONG values for FA lenses — values are just automatically multiplied by 1.5 and for FA lenses that is not necessary.
With "Equivalent focal length in 35mm format" they show what FOV a lens used on a APS-C DSLR would be compared with film body. So it does not matter for what format the lens is designed for, or if the lens can be used on a film body or not.
07-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Hasn't these lenses been available on the Pentax Japanese site for years? I don't think they ever was removed from Japanese market.
And here is me thinking this is the start of the lenses for my new FF pentax camera.

But then what do you think of the introduction? Is it a slip using 35mm format?
"PENTAX offers a wide selection of 35mm-format interchangeable lenses to give you greater creativity and flexibility in advanced digital SLR photography."

07-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Very interesting ...
All the FA J's are still available in Japan, FYI, for some reason.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
But then what do you think of the introduction? Is it a slip using 35mm format?
"PENTAX offers a wide selection of 35mm-format interchangeable lenses to give you greater creativity and flexibility in advanced digital SLR photography."
They probably haven't updated that text in years, so it's not a sign of Pentax releasing a FF DSLR next week.
All Pentax K-mount DSLR use 35mm format lens mount, so it might be that they are referring to.
08-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

They're obviously in the process of updating their webpages....
08-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh and the Japanese site lens section hasn't changed in a long time for the English version, the whole lens section and PDF is different on the Japanese version...
08-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
Well, they had 2 years to make that website.
Perhaps this confusion, contradiction and absentmindedness is also "part of the previously carefully outlined strategy", as Jim Malcolm would say.

I can almost read news from the few weeks in future:
"Ricoh Imaging is releasing Nikon 70-200 VR lens, with revolutionary new HD coating", and
"After three years of laborious development, Ricoh Imaging is issuing a new version of iPhone with revolutionary new camera ...".

And in Cupertino CA, Tim Cook looks and in bedazzlement, "What the ...... ?!!?!."

Last edited by Uluru; 08-01-2013 at 12:44 AM.
08-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's the Japanese site, English translation version. Not a high focus for anyone in Ricoh's Japanese home market sales department who oddly enough probably devote their focus to the Japanese language version. English version likely assigned to an intern or similar junior to manage. These lenses are listed in the forum database, so nothing new. Let's all calm down and resume normal transmission!
08-01-2013, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
It's the Japanese site, English translation version. Not a high focus for anyone in Ricoh's Japanese home market sales department who oddly enough probably devote their focus to the Japanese language version. English version likely assigned to an intern or similar junior to manage.
"An intern I pay $5,000 a year just cost me $350,000 in lost sales by posting outdated and/or incorrect data on my corporate website.".

QuoteQuote:
These lenses are listed in the forum database, so ...!
And so are Takumars.

Why can't I let go of an impression that this whole Pentax and Ricoh Imaging "thing" is run nonchalantly as a backyard sidekick by someone whose real job, and interest, is something else ... say, making and selling copiers?

Last edited by Uluru; 08-01-2013 at 01:49 AM.
08-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
That's right, they were always listed on the Japanese web site and available through Japanese dealers.