Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Pentax doesnt even know what lenses they are making. So far, all of the other catalogs and roadmaps I have seen were incomplete. They omitted the FA primes (FA 50mm f1.4, FA 35mm f2.0), the FA limiteds (31mm, 43mm, 77mm), and those FA and FAJ zoom lenses. Even though all of these lenses can be bought as new. I guess that not all of these lenses are available in all markets - but globalization is a thing, so we all know about the lenses and prices in other markets/countries. I also think that Pentax believes that FA lenses are for film, so they dont advertise them for digital bodies. They really need to get this straightened out, confusing information can be worse than no information at all.

But there were some very good posts in this thread, already stating as much.

Btw, that FA 20-35mm seems very attractive to me. I've never seen it in any store, though. And I dont remember seeing members posting photos taken with it.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-01-2013 at 10:09 AM.
08-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
It's remarkable isn't? Pentax/Ricoh is a global company - not the largest in its line of business but of a certain site. Still their communication and general presence on the net seems to be without anything that resembles a strategy (except, "say as little as you can possibly get away with!) I have been a web professional for what is possibly the largest organization in my country (and that place could be chaotic too!) and I still do some freelance work. Pentax' performance is the kind of stuff people write articles about with "Don't do like this!" tagged onto them.

They have so many possiblities to reach out and do stuff on the net that people would love to read but there is nothing but the occasional tutorial on Facebook. It begins to worry me a bit because I suspect the organization is just not there yet. And the takeover was what - almost two years ago?

The last time I went to their website and had a look around it was because I wanted to download the raw converter and in the end I found out I had to copy the URL and change it manually - the link was broken with the consequence that you actually don't get what the link says but the earlier version. There are so many obstructions like this. I am positive that someone in the organization have gotten the job of being in charge of their web strategy without wanting the job or having the skills. Believe me, I have seen that happen myself and I have worked with people saying stuff like: "I am told to update and all that, but I tell you this - I am not doing it!" Because they didn't understand how the system worked and were afraid of the damn thing. I would not be surprised if this is actually an older list in a nice table layout and nobody knows how to update it. And then ... well, what the heck let's just put it on shall we!
+1...
The way business is done nowadays is via website...not walking into a camera store and asking the high school drop out sales associate questions.
Job #1,2 AND 3 of Ricoh following the buyout should've been to make their websites consistant across all countries, and update/correct their info.
This is more critical for Ricoh than with Nikon and Canon because most stores do not stock Pentax gear, so their website must be top-notch.
08-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I guess that not all of these lenses are available in all markets
Canon does the same with their mirrorless lenses.
08-01-2013, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For a company that has so little store presence outside Japan one would think getting the online presence right, vibrant and attractive would be a priority, then driving customers to webstores.

Based upon personal experience with multiple global enterprises, apparently getting the web presence right is either much harder to do than we would imagine or upper managers as a rule haven't yet fully embraced the importance of web presence.

08-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm guessing someone finally opened that basement storeroom.
What a great line!

Thanks for the laugh.

M
08-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I work at a big company with a huge website. The website is micromanaged in small chunks by individual teams who have their own schedules and goals. It's hard to get all these little teams to communicate. Even getting the right font across all the pages is a challenge! I can understand the difficulties of maintaining a big site even if it still annoys me.
08-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #37
Pentaxian

All this + the disappearance of the "original" PENTAX branded "PENTAX RICOH" website shows the world how badly RICOH mismanages it's takeover of the once so famous photography LABEL they until now failed to give any sound marketing or innovative development....
For a lot of loyal PENTAX owners, it's a really hardtime not feeling that RICOH's maxime will not be for the brand they choose :
RICOH.confusion.failure

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-01-2013 at 01:36 PM.
08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Someone please explain something to me...

When Pentax was still with Hoya, I could type the URL: HOME | RICOH IMAGING and ended up in really Pentaxy site.

Now with Ricoh, I type in HOME | RICOH IMAGING and end up on a Ricoh site. With the only reference to Pentax is the logo still on the camera bodies. Pentax bodies next to Ricoh cameras as well. That must be next in line to change, because it's really confusing. I honestly really do think the name "Pentax" is going to disappear.
08-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I honestly really do think the name "Pentax" is going to disappear.
I think we should wait and see...if the flagship DSLR is labeled "Ricoh", the Pentax name is in trouble. I personally don't think that will happen...but some people will come here and say "NO, it wont happen" like they sit in the board room.
08-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I honestly really do think the name "Pentax" is going to disappear.
I don't agree. The name was probably the most valuable thing that Ricoh purchased. I believe it still has greater brand recognition than Ricoh has among the photographic community.
If Ricoh decides that Pentax-branded products don't have enough value for themselves, then they can license the brand name out to manufacturers in need of instant cred for cheapo products that are photography-related. This is what has happened to other faded brands including Polaroid, Vivitar, Bell & Howell to name a few.

I hope things don't get to that point, but I would not be shocked it it did.

M
08-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
..."I am told to update and all that, but I tell you this - I am not doing it!" Because they didn't understand how the system worked and were afraid of the damn thing. I would not be surprised if this is actually an older list in a nice table layout and nobody knows how to update it. And then ... well, what the heck let's just put it on shall we!
:

Uh, tell me about it. Actually, the only camera company's website I truly enjoy to browse is Leica. German precision engineering — in just everything. The site is up, always up to date, full of interesting stuff. When some new products are there, webpages are refreshed, consistent, and it all just works!
How come, despite the fact that Leica does not pretend to be in the top three imaging companies in the world?

You know why? Because Leica already is there, at the very top. They are small, but they understand that's the position in people's mind that counts, not in market share. Leica truly is a dame who accidentally shares the hotel floor with the loudmouth bunch that want to join the 800 pound gorilla club.

I also like the Olympus website, when they launch some product, like OMD or Pen 5. Unlike Ricoh/Pentax, they actually HIRE someone who knows how to do stuff.

When I see Pentax / Ricoh website like this, I see no no attention, no precision, no real care, out of which one feels no passion, no love, no emotion. Just plain nothing.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.
08-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
:

Uh, tell me about it. Actually, the only camera company's website I truly enjoy to browse is Leica. German precision engineering — in just everything.
Stop this whining. There's nothing wrong with Pentax web page. At least I can find the number of mp and sensor size in seconds; no such luck over at Leica after 10 minutes of trying. Maybe I'm just dim.
You guys are winded up about the minutes details as if it was the end of the world.
08-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I suspect they rolled out the new site just as soon as the top-level graphics and layout templates were ready.

The detailed pages will be updated as time and resources permit.

(I hope.)
08-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #44
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Stop this whining. There's nothing wrong with Pentax web page. At least I can find the number of mp and sensor size in seconds; no such luck over at Leica after 10 minutes of trying. Maybe I'm just dim.
You guys are winded up about the minutes details as if it was the end of the world.
It is not whining — this is my bread and butter, and I know exactly what I'm talking about. I simply show examples from the same industry that blow Ricoh's web presence in water.

Some specs are there, and inconsistent, but zero user experience, precision or sense of purpose.

In marketing jargon, the necessary link between the precise engineering of the cameras and lenses, and their story to excite buyers, is missing — lost somewhere in layers upon layers of the corporate onion. If Leica had such a website, they'd be out of business because Leica and any smart end customer oriented company very well knows they are not selling nuts and bolts and glass, but exciting dreams and new possibilities. It is about tactile persuasion and seduction and“ right‘ now, Ricoh“ may seduce only‘“ the truly desperate‘[].

Ricoh is a b2b company, their only contact with end users like us is through very limited range of products. Because of their such nature, it shows and I'm worried. Ricoh is selling 'solutions' and I don't want to buy a consumer product that is offered to me as an 'imaging solution'. That is not end customer lingo, it's corporate b2b talk.

The whole Ricoh Imaging experience should be best if totally separated from the wider corporate atmos and developed into a unique, warm experience, that speaks stories, directly to human emotions in language people want to hear.

So far, I have every right to be highly suspicious in Ricoh's intentions because there are no proofs that show otherwise. It is still very likely they will demolish the whole Pentax idea, which was for decades rooted around an exciting emotional experience.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-01-2013 at 05:09 PM.
08-01-2013, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Stop this whining. There's nothing wrong with Pentax web page.
C'mon...there's being a fanboy and then there's being ridiculous.