Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #136
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
People forget that in SLR's the light meter was often (usually) located where the AF array is now.

When AF came in with the beam splitter the only place for the meter to go was off the prism. In most AF SLR's it went in front of the prism.

Now we also have overlays integrated into the pentaprism/mirror assembly and those live off the prism, too and the light meter is usually located above the ocular but able to observe the prism. Our cameras have gotten larger because because we have more automated system that have to live somewhere.

So in a modular system with AF located where it has to be, you still need a place for the matrix meter. If you take the OVF prism module off, you have no meter. Since today's matrix meters are scene readers, they only work if they have a full zone analysis of the frame. You cannot use a simple CdS in today's systems.

And if you want to AF off the sensor why have a mirror?

Again you're back to 2 different bodies and not a modular system.

08-07-2013, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #137
Loyal Site Supporter

Q: Now, what's going on for the Pentax Full Frame thing?

A: Our development team is still working on it and the project is not aborted.

This is about the same as saying "We haven't filed bankruptcy yet" or "R&D still has a summer intern playing around with the idea."

The K-01 was not discontinued owing to the low demand. But it was discontinued owing to the higher demand than that the production could meet.
Here in the USA they were selling for $300. Pentax was practically giving them away. So in the alternate reality that Ricoh lives in, as demand rises prices fall.
08-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
According to a friend with a 1D, these are the kinds of lenses people with that type of camera are interested in:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM

He is surely kidding you. There are far less people buying such lenses than people buying fish-eye lenses....
08-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
And an EVF option on a mirror system is pointless when the raison d'etre of an EVF is to NOT have a mirror. What 's the point of such a module?
The mirror will be locked in the up position when the electronic finder is used.
Whats the use for mirrorless anyway?

08-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

This is about the same as saying "We haven't filed bankruptcy yet" or "R&D still has a summer intern playing around with the idea."

The K-01 was not discontinued owing to the low demand. But it was discontinued owing to the higher demand than that the production could meet.
Here in the USA they were selling for $300. Pentax was practically giving them away. So in the alternate reality that Ricoh lives in, as demand rises prices fall.
$300 for that camera and they were still making money... the real price should of not been more than $500 at launch and drop it towards $300 after a year or so. $300 is a realistic price for the K-01.

The original price was their biggest mistake with this camera... probably they were hopping it will be like a "fashion item" considering the designer involved.
08-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #141
Pentaxian

I suspect you're right. I wouldn't put too much into this FF thing. They are working on it and probably have since 1999. They really need to get their APS line-up (cameras and lenses) complete and gain traction in marketshare. FF is forever an option with the K-mount.
I agree that it seems strange they rebate a camera they can't make enough of...
08-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #142
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
$300 for that camera and they were still making money... the real price should of not been more than $500 at launch and drop it towards $300 after a year or so. $300 is a realistic price for the K-01.

The original price was their biggest mistake with this camera... probably they were hopping it will be like a "fashion item" considering the designer involved.
I strongly doubt that is a profitable price point for the K-01 given its starting MSRP with lens.

They were dumping these all over.

It may be a market realistic price for a non-traditional design lacking some key features, but it's the kind of product that breaks the bottom line.

Still, I give kudos to Pentax for trying. I quite like the design. An articulating rear LCD, an optional EVF of very high quality, updated movie mode and input jacks, and a revamped 16-45 SD motor, silent AF lens and I'd have given this a serious through as a backup and video system.
08-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #143
Veteran Member

I doubt they had a loss on he cameras in the end... maybe they didn't got what they were expecting, but that's a different story.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

... An articulating rear LCD, an optional EVF of very high quality, updated movie mode and input jacks, and a revamped 16-45 SD motor, silent AF lens and I'd have given this a serious through as a backup and video system.
That would almost be a completely different camera design... ... since it has to accommodate for the additional functions...

08-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I'd say the K-01 was a hit on the Japanese market, and a bit of a flop in other markets (Europe, USA). Still, I tend to believe Kawauchi-san if he states that the K-01 sold better and faster than they anticipated. The biggest plus is that there was a lot of talk about the camera on social media and websites. Free advertising...
08-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #145
bxf
Site Supporter

$300? A cynic would say that they would sell even more if they were to reduce the price even further...
08-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
$300? A cynic would say that they would sell even more if they were to reduce the price even further...
How cheap can you get?
If they would of given them away for free everyone would of thought they are the holy grail...
08-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how many K-01's they finally shipped, but the (rumored) $1,000,000 fee, plus the extended development time to work with the guy (cost-accounted) certainly must have contributed materially to the initial release price. Apparently there's still enough demand to run a batch of blue and white bodies.

Furthermore we cannot know what effect the Ricoh cost ratiobnalization / restructuring and the resultant need to clear the channel of "warehoused for future sale" inventory might have played on MANY odd small things that happened in calendar 2012.

I mean, really, special pricing on FA Limiteds if you buy a K5? Where's that coming from?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-07-2013 at 12:46 PM.
08-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #148
Pentaxian

How would you know, since you didn't read (and understand) the original Japanese version?
08-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Originally posted by Winder

Q: When did you stop beating your wife?

A: I've never beaten my wife. At anything.
08-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #150
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How did this thread degenerate to FF speculation?