Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #181
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
... and the Pentax logo has been redesigned (losing its iconic red colour), and the "default" brand on the camera products website is "Ricoh" (notice the GR and other Ricoh cameras are not branded). Pentax appears very much a secondary, sub brand.
See how Ricoh is in red colour?

Adding red Pentax would somewhat conflict, and often from a branding perspective, to establish a hierarchy, product names are written just in black, or grey, or some neutral colour. So yes, it is very likely there will be no more red Pentax letters if the communication piece is signed with Ricoh. And it will be.

Default product line, now, this is tricky, but I think we may say it is Ricoh. However, note how Ricoh skilfully hides "Imaging" part from the holding company's name, and it doesn't sign off as "Ricoh Imaging", but but with Ricoh (Imagine, Change).

08-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At some point, were I Mr. Kawauchi in the face of this ongoing insistence that Pentax is going away, rather than repeatedly stating that the company plans to keep the Pentax brand, I would surely say, "Oh, what the hell. They don't believe us anyway. Give them what they seem to want."
08-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #183
Site Supporter

Take a look at the History section of the Ricoh website, Pentax isnt going anywhere. Ricoh isnt stupid enough to throw this away, in fact is what they spent all the money to acquire, the brand and history have a ton of value:
RICOH Imaging Timeline
08-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Take a look at the History section of the Ricoh website, Pentax isnt going anywhere. Ricoh isnt stupid enough to throw this away, in fact is what they spent all the money to acquire, the brand and history have a ton of value:
RICOH Imaging Timeline
I agree.
Ricoh didn't have a footprint in the prosumer end of things and it's obvious that they bought into Pentax to fill in that gap. Though it may be awhile before they actually deliver on that. From what I can see, Ricoh may be concerned about first impressions insofar as their flagship product goes. To which I'd add, I can't say I blame them. see: "All eyes on us"

08-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
RICOH IMAGING Americas Corporation, originally founded in 1919 under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co., launched its first SLR camera in the 1950s under the PENTAX name. Today, RICOH IMAGING Americas Corporation continues to produce the heritage-rich, award-winning line of PENTAX DSLR cameras, lenses and sport optics equipment as well as RICOH's offering of stylish and compact digital cameras, known for their wide-ranging, rich set of features.
I think this says all I need to know. The fact that they took the time to preserve the history timeline and retained references to Asahi Optical Group indicates they have no intention of making 'Pentax' fade away.
08-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The speed of the dumping of the Pentax name so soon after the takeover makes me suspect it's a Japanese corporate ego thing. The timeline and statements about the Pentax heritage from Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. are most likely written by Americans to reassure Americans. But are the people who wrote these on the US site plugged into Ricoh's thinking? Probably not. There's no obvious acknowledgement of Pentax history on the Japanese Ricoh site: I would be much happier if there was. Sure, "Pentax" will remain, short-term, but I am not hopeful about its long-term survival.

I hope I am wrong about all this, because I have a sentimental attachment to Pentax.

OTOH I do think the K-mount will endure.

Last edited by Gray; 08-18-2013 at 10:15 AM.