Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The head man has spoken.... "Pentax isn't going away" !

Looks to me like this is pretty good news. This Fall will tell us a lot of the rest of the story.

Bob

08-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Actions speak louder than words.
08-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Google translation:
QuoteQuote:
Explains Mr. Kawauchi "Yes, Pentax will always exist at the product level," he said the name change internally Pentax does not as much a thing, Pentax not the first time control of the hands, and the name of the Pentax PENTAX In the first does not represent a company that is a subsidiary of Asahi Optical year product name. The implication PENTAX now and then it was no difference. Here, some friends of the heart of the stones can be put down.
My translation of the Google translation: Pentax will always exist at the product level but it is no longer a company or even a division of a company. The name change was only for internal use and does not mean anything. This is not the first time Pentax has changed hands and having the Pentax name first does not indicate a company or brand that is a subsidiary. It used to be Asahi Pentax (company -> brand) and now it is the same again. There is no difference between what was called Asahi Pentax and now Ricoh Pentax. People who have heavy hearts over this can rest at ease, Pentax is NOT doomed.

Nikon -> Coolpix
Ford -> Explorer
Sony -> Vaio
Dell -> Inspiron
Canon -> Speedlite
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Google translation:

My translation of the Google translation: Pentax will always exist at the product level but it is no longer a company or even a division of a company. The name change was only for internal use and does not mean anything. This is not the first time Pentax has changed hands and having the Pentax name first does not indicate a company or brand that is a subsidiary. It used to be Asahi Pentax (company -> brand) and now it is the same again. There is no difference between what was called Asahi Pentax and now Ricoh Pentax. People who have heavy hearts over this can rest at ease, Pentax is NOT doomed.

Nikon -> Coolpix
Ford -> Explorer
Sony -> Vaio
Dell -> Inspiron
Canon -> Speedlite
I agree.. my beautiful old Spotmatic that I bought new in 1971 has "Asahi" right on the front... Friends who bought theirs in the states said Honeywell.... I have no problem with my Pentax saying Ricoh Pentax as long as they keep the unique quality of Pentax going on into the future... ( and continue to support all my old lenses)

Bob

08-04-2013, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
This is my opinion, but why do you all think that nothing really new has come out? No real updates to the AF system, not the obsolete flash system, etc. The answer is that Ricoh is obviously developing a completely whole new state of the art system, rooted in the 21st century. This means most likely the general retirement of the K mount, as it really hasn't been competitive in the market since the 1990s. They may retain it for a FF high-end body, but I doubt it, I don't see Ricoh re-invigorating K mount lens development any more. What would be the point if they can instead sell lots of mirrorless cams that are cheaper to manufacture and that's where the market is going anyways (for the 90%).
If Ricoh hadn't bought Pentax, they could have done exactly as you suggest without spending $150M on irrelevant products and expertise only to toss them in the garbage bin. Not to mention the disruption of trying to integrate 2 different corporate cultures.

That the K mount hasn't been competitive has nothing to do with its intrinsic attributes, but rather of weaknesses in features like autofocus and the camera system as a whole, and of subpar execution in marketing and distribution. It may very well be that Ricoh put advancements on the K series cameras on the back burner to allow for new development, but tossing out the K mount - the only significant thing Pentax brought to the table - makes no sense to me.
08-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
but tossing out the K mount - the only significant thing Pentax brought to the table - makes no sense to me.
Pentax IS the K-mount and is what Ricoh bought. 645D, some spotting scopes and binoculars, and the 645D are probably less that 15%of the total Pentax worth, and I bet P&S is another 10%.

This is raw speculation but from some financials we had in the past at least 75% of revenues were generated by K-mount sales.
08-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Pentax IS the K-mount and is what Ricoh bought. 645D, some spotting scopes and binoculars, and the 645D are probably less that 15%of the total Pentax worth, and I bet P&S is another 10%.

This is raw speculation but from some financials we had in the past at least 75% of revenues were generated by K-mount sales.
Yeah, it does come down to one simple thing.

It doesn't matter what they wrap around it, what color it is, mirror or not - without that piece of metal Pentax just isn't.

08-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I heard Pentax is going 100% towards mirrorless K-mount cameras based on the K-01. They are getting rid of all of their pentaprisms and flapping mirrors.

Let's see how long it take for that crazy idea to come back as a confirmed rumor...
08-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I heard Pentax is going 100% towards mirrorless K-mount cameras based on the K-01. They are getting rid of all of their pentaprisms and flapping mirrors.

Let's see how long it take for that crazy idea to come back as a confirmed rumor...
I'd be so torn on something like that. The lack of moving parts and the simplification that comes with it is very appealing to my technical senses. It's trade-off to an electronic viewfinder that breaks it for me. There would have to be some leaps and bounds in technology before I would consider a EVF.
08-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Whether or not Pentax will be here or not here in the future.....no one in this forum knows. It's all opinion.
08-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I heard Pentax is going 100% towards mirrorless K-mount cameras based on the K-01. They are getting rid of all of their pentaprisms and flapping mirrors ...
Yes, Rice High swears by it. So it must be true, because he's a Pentax expert.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-04-2013 at 08:07 PM.
08-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'd be so torn on something like that. The lack of moving parts and the simplification that comes with it is very appealing to my technical senses. It's trade-off to an electronic viewfinder that breaks it for me. There would have to be some leaps and bounds in technology before I would consider a EVF.
You mean moving parts like the zoom lens and helicoid and DC/SDM motor and all those moving buttons and switches, and that gosh darn shutter...it moves.

By the time we get dow to it we can only have a touch screen, voice activated, fixed focal length camera with only a digital zoom, wirelessly recharged.
08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #43
Veteran Member

You mean moving parts like the zoom lens and helicoid and DC/SDM motor and all those moving buttons and switches, and that gosh darn shutter...it moves.

By the time we get dow to it we can only have a touch screen, voice activated, fixed focal length camera with only a digital zoom, wirelessly recharged.
You just about described the 41 megapickle Nokia Lumia 1020. I played with one for 5 minutes this weekend and came away with my mind nearly blown.
08-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #44
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
.. Pentax has repeatedly said they are committed to three APSc dSLR's...
Repeatedly? This is the first time I hear such thing — that APS-C line (should?) consist of 3 DSLRs.
Can you please elaborate with more info.

I think that could be a problem; K500 and K50 are not the cameras that drive the sales of better lenses, especially DA* and DA Ltds. To me, K50 and K500 are aimed at folks buying kit lenses.

To sell more quality lenses, Pentax needs APS-C cameras that are clearly advanced enthusiast and pro level. When they have such cameras, then sales of lenses will go up too, and K50 users will suddenly see an extra appeal in better lenses.

Or, two more APS-C DSLRs are needed. In total, four. Just one body above K50 makes lineup still very weak, wanting and is same as what we have today.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-04-2013 at 10:28 PM.
08-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Indeed. It's much faster and easier to say: "Start camera application. Set to shooting mode. Take an image, now!" with a perfect English accent than to press a button. I can't wait to have such a wonderful feature on my camera.
It's called progress, right?