Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
That's a problem, too. People automatically assume if they put out one ad, it will reach a massive number of people and because the population segmented so many different ways, advertising can be very expensive to get the desired penetration to the target groups.
In India, there is IPL and Cricket which penetrates every segment of population.

08-15-2013, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vow, great tidings indeed for a country where old timers and studio folks still venerate Pentax Film cameras. And I say this from smaller towns like Patna in Bihar, where film photography was a passion.
I buy all my Pentax gear abroad and have never worried about Service. Even when I owned an MZ-5n I got it repaired by an independent stores in the Fort area Mumbai. The good thing about India is that nothing is thrown away, as we have very good local mechanics and repair men, who can put back sick equipment with cannibalized or improvised parts.
I have repeatedly informed my friends in the US to send their Lens problems - recoating, separation, fungus cleaning etc - to India for repairs at 1/2 to 1/4 of the US cost including shipping.
Ricoh must be prepared to make a dent into the well trenched Canikon market here in India. And I wish them good luck as an earlier Pentax + Ricoh Film camera user.
But firstly Ricoh will have to change the mindset of Professional Photographers in India, by giving them their best loaner cameras and lenses. Reason Why? These guys have been spreading the word to erstwhile Pentaxian families that DSLRs are only Canikons and nothing else.
Wish you well Ricoh. Also wish you had retained the word Pentax in some form on your letter head & web site.
08-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
The good thing about India is that nothing is thrown away, as we have very good local mechanics and repair men, who can put back sick equipment with cannibalized or improvised parts.
I have repeatedly informed my friends in the US to send their Lens problems - recoating, separation, fungus cleaning etc - to India for repairs at 1/2 to 1/4 of the US cost including shipping.
I wish people here in the Southwest US didn't treat nearly everything as disposable. I had no idea repair was so inexpensive there for US customers. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.
08-15-2013, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I wish people here in the Southwest US didn't treat nearly everything as disposable. I had no idea repair was so inexpensive there for US customers. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.
In many countries not eaten up with post-WWII capitalist predilection that "everyone must buy and own everything and replace all things after a few years of ownership, or, buy and buy all the time", you'll find thriving traditional culture of taking care about things, sharing them and mending them continuously.
Fix things, don't throw them away, use them again. It's natural. But post-WWII capitalism as such makes us all broke, and we are all broke today.
Even in Pentax's case; I know Pentax must sell cameras and lenses to make their bread and butter, but don't just throw away your old cameras. Think twice before buying new. Your kids will be grateful.

08-17-2013, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Fix things, don't throw them away, use them again. It's natural.
Even in the US it is not all a throw away society, at least some places it is still a fix it, don't buy it mentality. I grew up on a farm and when I left we were still using two tractors made in the late 1940's several from the '50's and '60's and several pieces of equipment that were originally horse drawn and converted to tractor pulled. New does not always mean better, and for some purposes the new equipment was just not suited to our farm. So if it broke, break out the welder and fix it.

So tell me again why the k-5 II is not good enough and we are beating up Pentax for nothing new?
08-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #36
Site Supporter

That's good news about India and thanks for sharing it ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 08-17-2013 at 12:29 PM.
08-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So tell me again why the k-5 II is not good enough and we are beating up Pentax for nothing new?
Of course K-5II is fine for many good use. And you see, I still use a K-7, with serious sensor banding issues, and I will continue using it. I'm not throwing it away despite the fact that each image has a "defect".

So when I'm asking for new, I'm not asking it for myself. I would like Pentax to stick around for a while, that's all.
08-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
So when I'm asking for new, I'm not asking it for myself. I would like Pentax to stick around for a while, that's all.
Ah, well that is OK then. Maybe they should release a new camera so we can all go out and buy one so they can make lot's of money and stick around for a while! It will be a terrible sacrifice for everyone but of course it is all in a good cause!

08-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #39

Welcome to India

Hi

During trekking, i always share my K5-II with my friends to capture some photo's. They gets amazed by quality of camera and starts inquiry about availability of pentax. Now i can tell them to wait till sept.

WELCOME PENTAX
08-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Test if this image is added to the News and Rumors index page.

India flag.
08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #41

Fabulous news. Wait is finally over.
I am finding it really hard to get any lens here in India.
08-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To my Indian friends, I will be curious to hear how Ricoh/Pentax sells their products over there.
Today we keep hearing that economic growth in India is below 5% and the Rupee is at an all time low.
The cost for new Pentax gear would be exceptionally expensive in India and the profits for Ricoh/Pentax slim to none.

I understand why Ricoh/Pentax has stayed out of India, does anyone have an insight into why they are now deciding to enter that market now?

Is it possible that the K50/500 as low cost cameras are now within reach of the average Indian?

With prices for Pentax getting more expensive, why would Ricoh/Pentax go into India now? Any ideas?
08-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #43
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I understand why Ricoh/Pentax has stayed out of India, does anyone have an insight into why they are now deciding to enter that market now?
India is a hugely populous country and from what I understand, tens of millions of people are becoming "middle class" every year and achieving an income that means they could buy a DSLR if they wanted to. So, as you said, I bet the K5/K50/K500 are within the grasp of many more people nowadays.

In Europe, North America and other rich countries, it's fair to say that most people could buy a DSLR if they really wanted to and those who haven't done so already probably aren't that interested. So developing countries (not just India) are attractive markets, even if they might have economic downturns in a given year.

The other thing is the weak rupee reduces Ricoh's start-up costs, so it could be an advantageous time to invest in distribution and service facilities.
08-28-2013, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
To my Indian friends, I will be curious to hear how Ricoh/Pentax sells their products over there.
Today we keep hearing that economic growth in India is below 5% and the Rupee is at an all time low.
The cost for new Pentax gear would be exceptionally expensive in India and the profits for Ricoh/Pentax slim to none.

Is it possible that the K50/500 as low cost cameras are now within reach of the average Indian?

With prices for Pentax getting more expensive, why would Ricoh/Pentax go into India now? Any ideas?
Avery good question. Here are some answers:-
a) There always have been all kinds of middle class Indians. Take my Uncle and my Dad circa 1937. They had Leica and Kodak 35 mm cameras, and the TLR Relleiflexes.
b) Take me an average 30 year old Engineer in 1978 with a Pentax K1000 SE (made in japan). As an eight year old boy my Dad gave me a British Ensign Full View Flex Camera - an all metal TLR.
c) Then we have the rich class - quite plenty when you consider India's population.
d) I was in Europe late 2011 with my wife. Half the tourists were Indians every where. And my God, their buying power would stun the average American.
e) A lot of Indians travel overseas on business, company work, immigration or plain fun. Most come back with cameras, especially folks like me who do not get Pentax in India.
Note: a) you won't see folks bringing back household goods, Stereos, Laptops, other electronics as they are plentiful in India itself.
b) since the Canikons have been present in India, people buy them here itself simply because of warranty concerns and the price difference
negligible
c) with the Rupee jumping from 54 to 67 in just a few months, the equation is now bound to change. But for overseas Indians a $ is a $ and not
Rs 67, and he continues to bring the latest stuff with him. And you will be surprised at the number of global Indians in North and South
America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Australia, New Zealand and the Far East.
f) Pentax is a spent force today. Agreed they made great film cameras - reason why I have stuck with them. They must expand into greener pastures.
And what better country than India with a mind boggling base of educated Graduate Indians - the biggest in the world.
g) Some (2) years back, I read that earnings from the sales of DSLRs & Lenses were equal to or more than P&S cameras put together.
h) And once you buy a DSLR you are lured into buying more Lenses and accessories.
Regards.
09-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Rs 9,200 is a special price (regular - Rs 10,345/$169) available only to "Pentaxians" in Sept 2013.

BTW, the Canon EF 50/1.8 II is available for only Rs 7,700.

Is it already out ?