Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Gear to go on sale in India soon

Today I was contacted by a representative of Ricoh India with some very welcome news for our Indian members! I quote:

QuoteQuote:
A warm Welcome to Ricoh India Ltd.

We are glad to announce that we would be launching the RICOH & PENTAX range of Camera's / Lenses / Accessories & Binoculars in India very soon.We are currently in the process of finalizing our sales, distribution & service network.Will keep you all updated with the necessary information.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great to hear!
08-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Banned

A good new market to explore!
08-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Banned

This will be interesting, as I know the Indian market intimately. They are a hungry bunch of consumers out there, BUT they are very demanding. If Pentax doesn't have its SDM and service networks setup right there, we will certainly hear about it. They are very apt to immediately take to the internet about everything (look at Nokia's official forums for reference).

And I'm curious to see what their pricing policies will be like there.

08-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A good new market to explore!
From what I understand, Pentax is known on the Indian market. When they pulled out, I don't know, but it's certain they were out there in the distant past and I believe they are still a respected name for those in the know.
08-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax Gear to go on sale in India soon Today I was contacted by a representative of Ricoh India with some very welcome news for our Indian members! I quote: QuoteQuote: A warm Welcome to Ricoh India Ltd. We are glad to announce that we would be launching the RICOH & PENTAX range of Camera's / Lenses / Accessories & Binoculars in India very soon.We are currently in the process of finalizing our sales, distribution & service network.Will keep you all updated with the necessary information. Adam
a good news in those moments not very positive
Ricoh is working to get more sale power !
08-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Yos
Veteran Member

Great news! Lets hope Ricoh are able to grab some attention there!
Seen some Indian forum members here and I am sure they will be very happy about the news.
It also look like a representative from Ricoh is already active here on the forum and trying to get to know the members from India

08-12-2013, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

A big step forward. Now, if we only had a network in the US.......
08-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is a great news. A fellow Pentaxian even talked to the Ricoh India head and was told that they will have all camera bodies and few select lenses to start with. More lenses shall be added later. They will open service centers in 4 major metro cities (Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai) and Bangalore.
08-12-2013, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe this will calm the 'Sky-is-falling' attitude 'round here a bit. AFAIK India is a huge market.
08-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Good news; and Ricoh is acting exactly like they said they would (putting more effort in Asian markets). Maybe they're serious about that #3
08-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great news. As someone intimately connected with india I know that a certain segment of that population is spending money like water. But they will need to advertise a heck of a lot more than they do in the US market..
08-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Great news. As someone intimately connected with india I know that a certain segment of that population is spending money like water. But they will need to advertise a heck of a lot more than they do in the US market..
That's a problem, too. People automatically assume if they put out one ad, it will reach a massive number of people and because the population segmented so many different ways, advertising can be very expensive to get the desired penetration to the target groups.
08-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
That's a problem, too. People automatically assume if they put out one ad, it will reach a massive number of people and because the population segmented so many different ways, advertising can be very expensive to get the desired penetration to the target groups.
That's why the company needs to be innovative, in terms of products. At least in the consumer's mind. The past few years have been littered with stories about companies such as Fuji, Lytro, Da Vinci (Black Magic), etc. going from producing no cameras whatsoever to taking the market by storm and becoming well-known for their products in a short period of time.

I understand that there are additional business concerns. Regardless, these companies have proven that it can be done.
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is great news. I sold a lens to a member from India last year, and in our communications he told me how hard it was to acquire Pentax gear out there. Hopefully this will appease him and other Indian Pentaxians.