Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
That's why the company needs to be innovative, in terms of products. At least in the consumer's mind. The past few years have been littered with stories about companies such as Fuji, Lytro, Da Vinci (Black Magic), etc. going from producing no cameras whatsoever to taking the market by storm and becoming well-known for their products in a short period of time.

I understand that there are additional business concerns. Regardless, these companies have proven that it can be done.
That's how you market to westerners/Europeans.

In India, marketing relies heavily on making something a status symbol. Innovation is second to that, which is what one will see when they go out there. Like I said, society there is segmented so many different ways, from religion, education, caste, income, village, profession/job, location, language, culture, local culture, etc. Across these, the one commonality they will have is acquisition of status/material goods.

So Pentax needs to go in and establish itself INSTANTLY as something special, akin to how Lexus broke into the US market in 1989. Establish itself as "one of the premier names", whether true or not, establish the history of the brand. If it doesn't, Pentax will be gone within 1-2 years, as the market there is unforgiving, consumers are aggressive and develop stereotypes about products and the people who buy them, and prestige is everything.

The flipside, which most companies still refuse to understand is that once they establish something in this country as a premier/luxury brand or status symbol, it's hard to lose it to trends. Think RayBan and Mercedes out there.

Last edited by snake; 08-12-2013 at 11:43 PM.
08-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is great news indeed. I know many who were ready to buy Pentax from abroad (outside of India) but were put off for the lack of 'authorised' service centers.
This news should help them in purchasing Pentax/Ricoh products with confidence. I hope they price it competitively. They already have the colours (yes, that is one) and WR as the value additions over equivalent Canikons.
Olympus didn't succeed because the price differentiation was high. Plus the availability of lenses and the perception.
Good luck to Ricoh. Hope they succeed.
08-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
Banned

I'm hoping for FA Limiteds to be priced cheaper than in the rest of the world because I can buy from there quite easily.
08-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Seriously, this is great news. I recently returned to India after spending considerable time in US. I could appreciate how difficult it is to source Pentax gear in India. If they price it right and market well, Pentax could take off. IMHO, they should not release any SDM lenses till they establish themselves. The Indian market may be very unforgiving to SDM failures

08-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentakxian Quote
IMHO, they should not release any SDM lenses till they establish themselves. The Indian market may be very unforgiving to SDM failures
I'm getting the impression that India is like /p/
08-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #21

i could connect with the India Business Head for cameras. He has informed me that the whole range of Pentax products will be available in India soon, starting with some "basic" products as early as this month!

Now it remains to be seen what pricing policy Pentax Ricoh adapts in India. The Indian market is very price sensitive. Another area they need to worry about is how to create a buzz in the Indian market super quick. Only time will tell!

I for one am happy and wish Pentax Ricoh well. Hope they set up service centers soon.

mj

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Today I was contacted by a representative of Ricoh India with some very welcome news for our Indian members! I quote:
08-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #22

Great news for us here in India. I was thinking that I will be stuck with my K7, 18-55 and 55-300 for eternity (Hard to let Pentax go after having it in your hand, no other brand feels like that in the hand). Hope they bring the primes, especially the FA Ltd ones.
Some limited number of DA35mm f2.4 were available in one or two online stores an year back, guess they were probing the market.

08-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

First prices are here..DA50/1.8 for 9200 rupees all inclusive, with a two year local warranty. That is about 150 dollars, and is great pricing,considering that the Nikon 50/1.8G is about 10500 here.
08-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
Banned

The Ricoh India AGM 2013 is to occur on September 5, a date mentioned elsewhere as being a possible Ricoh Imaging media announcement...

Good timing!
08-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #25
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People of India, who are so full of joie de vivre, will love Pentax.
Considering the climate in the subcontinent, it fits perfectly too.
08-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
First prices are here..DA50/1.8 for 9200 rupees all inclusive, with a two year local warranty. That is about 150 dollars, and is great pricing,considering that the Nikon 50/1.8G is about 10500 here.
Where have you found that? Is it already out there for purchase?
08-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
People of India, who are so full of joie de vivre, will love Pentax.
Considering the climate in the subcontinent, it fits perfectly too.
Never been to India, but joie de vivre sure isn't how I'd describe Pentax Forums. Sky is constantly falling around here.
08-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hkiran1 Quote
Where have you found that? Is it already out there for purchase?
Rs 9,200 is a special price (regular - Rs 10,345/$169) available only to "Pentaxians" in Sept 2013.

BTW, the Canon EF 50/1.8 II is available for only Rs 7,700.
08-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a welcome forecast change. It went from the sky is falling to GRs and Q7s are raining down onto India.
08-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Sounds like a welcome forecast change. It went from the sky is falling to GRs and Q7s are raining down onto India.
This, and look what page we are at - 2? While the herp derp doom threads are full and constantly active.