Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I agree MoulagÔfr (btw we should meet and discuss I'm located very near you) but this is probably the same for other companies, although not to that extend.
A lot of optics companies (including 'ours' camera oriented ones) have security cam business and others like CD/DVD/BD lenses, phones lenses etc.
I'm not far indeed (in Berchem-Sainte-Agathe, at 15 minutes from Nivelles).

The Japanese companies are often opaque. Maybe more with activities that aren't their main activity ?!

08-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
It makes me wonder if the CCTV activity of Pentax was passed to Ricoh as well.
Yes it was

Here is the split of activities from former PENTAX CORP.

QuoteQuote:
... have executed an agreement as of today to transfer HOYA’s PENTAX Imaging
Systems Business (the business of developing, manufacturing and selling optical instruments such as
digital cameras and replacement lenses, digital camera accessories, security camera-related products,
and binoculars) (the “PENTAX Imaging Systems Business”) to Ricoh.
QuoteQuote:
Further, HOYA will continue to develop its businesses assigned from PENTAX Corporation ...
other than the PENTAX Imaging Systems Business, such as its businesses regarding digital camera modules,
DVD pickup lenses, endoscopes, artificial bones, and voice synthesis.
From Press_Release_1-07-2011__PENTAX_IS_and_RICOH.pdf
08-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Thank you for complementary infos.
It is one thing to blame the journalist not to prepare its' papers with enough attention/accuracy, it is is another to publish its' activity's results with the required transparency : and you know who is to blame here...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-17-2013 at 07:18 AM.
08-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The comments I got from several Pentax USA reps that I had a chance to speak with, that seemed to know what they were talking about <SHOCK>, was that the K-30 was selling FAR better than they had anticipated. They chalked it up to price+design+style.
Any word on how that compares (or is projected to compare) against the similar K-50?

08-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Any word on how that compares (or is projected to compare) against the similar K-50?
No idea. I had a nice opportunity when the K30 was released to go to a road show here in Atlanta with a couple REALLY nice and well informed <SHOCK> Pentax Reps. Ken Curry and Amber Renard were great and Ken REALLY knows his stuff. Unlike his boss I never caught him in a factual error about the cameras or lenses, and I actually learned a good bit from him about the O-GPS1 and the SR functioning of the K series cameras.
08-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #36

Interesting
08-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have talked to Ken a few times and met him once. He is a very informed rep, and really keeps track of stuff. He got a kick out of my Q/DA*300/Pentax red dot scope setup. Glad the store owner called and gave me the chance to meet Ken.
thanks
barondla

08-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have talked to Ken a few times and met him once. He is a very informed rep, and really keeps track of stuff. He got a kick out of my Q/DA*300/Pentax red dot scope setup. Glad the store owner called and gave me the chance to meet Ken.
thanks
barondla
I'm sure he would enjoy such creative uses of the Q. After repeatedly being left scratching my head whenever someone from Pentax Central Command spoke on nearly anything, meeting Ken was a corrective experience that taught me that being employed by Pentax US did not immediately mean the person was a dolt. He's quite the opposite in fact and Amber was gracious and friendly. They really ought to let the two of them out more among us barbarians, it would go a LONG way to rehabilitating Pentax HQ's image IMHO.
08-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
When were you in Japan?
I was there in May. I would admit that Yodobashi had a lot more Pentax gear on show than previously, but the second hand shops I was in had an amazing range. One store in Kyoto had a massive range of second hand pentax and other k-mount lenses; i was in there for hours! My point (rant) still stands. Here in Oz most camera stores just don't stock a decent range of pentax gear. Unless you have a fettish for kit lenses you are usually out of luck.