Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
A marketing manager should at least be able to market himself, so hopefully he will be able to put Pentax brand back in the camera market .
Hopefully. The problem with those sort of write-ups, speaking as someone who hires staff, is that they are REAL turn-off to those of us who are NOT in marketing.

08-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
John Carlson linked-in still says he is Senior Marketing Manager at RIAC.
I don't like to root for folks to lose their job but I won't shed a tear if he has been ousted.
LOL.
08-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #33
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess the 3-month delay in announcing his appointment is just his probationary period. I have noticed more focus on Pentax on sites like DPR recently and there was that magazine cover the other day. Perhaps he's been involved in that.
08-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #34
Pentaxian

This is a thread about marketing camera equipment....not about schools. Let's move back to the topic at hand.

08-15-2013, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I've had enough of Ricoh social media as of late. As an example, the "Pentax" Facebook page which started long before the Ricoh buyout was a great place for Pentaxians to hang out, but not anymore.

The Pentax Facebook page is now a Ricoh page. Instead of building two complete brand identities and nurturing each, some idiot decided to crash the Pentax page with an onslaught of Ricoh.

As in train-wreck.

That's NOT how you do it.

Social media works when like minded folks get together and share. When you get marketing mistakes that force-feed a message that you don't want, you destroy whatever social "good-will" you have.

The Ricoh folks have REALLY pushed and pushed the RICOH message down our collective Pentax throats. It's sickening and repulsive.

Since the buy-out, we GET IT.
Ricoh. Owns. Pentax.

If Ricoh was smart they would leave Pentax alone and build more brand awareness with SUBTLE links to Ricoh, but no.

We have been hammered on the head over these last months.
It's like, "Pentax, you lost your identity because not enough of you bought your own products, you have been conquered, now OBEY your new masters! You are week, feeble, follow RICOH or die!!!"

"Kneel before ZOD!!!!"

Because I have had enough, I'm fighting back wherever I can. A little dig here, a little dig there.

I've been banned at the Pentax Facebook page because of what happened during Women's month when inane women-centric marketing videos and camera loans were showcased.

It was horrible and I voiced my opinion.
You know, "social media" - talking, opinions - that sort of thing.

When Ricoh marketing started to take over the Pentax Facebook page, I said things like "C'mon, can we get back to Pentax now?"

I'm pretty sure I know the folks responsible (using LinkedIn) and I can trace it logically to folks that have no idea what Pentax is all about.

So my recommendations - as if anyone EVER listens to me - would be the following.

Give Pentax back it's independent social media presence.
Give Pentax back it's websites.
Link to Ricoh in subtle ways, do not keep force-feeding it in our faces.
How about Ricoh cameras standing on their own and building their own fan base?
Stop trying to "convert" Pentaxians as if brand loyalty was something easily changed.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 08-15-2013 at 08:08 AM.
08-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
This is a thread about marketing camera equipment....not about schools. Let's move back to the topic at hand.
We are talking about competence and marketing as it relates to profit. They are called examples and said as asides, which
in polite conversation is acceptable. But thanks for your contribution to this discussion.
08-15-2013, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well, I've had enough of Ricoh social media as of late. As an example, the "Pentax" Facebook page which started long before the Ricoh buyout was a great place for Pentaxians to hang out, but not anymore.

The Pentax Facebook page is now a Ricoh page. Instead of building two complete brand identities and nurturing each, some idiot decided to crash the Pentax page with an onslaught of Ricoh.

As in train-wreck.

Social media works when like minded folks get together and share. When you get marketing mistakes that force-feed a message that you don't want, you destroy whatever social "good-will" you have.

The Ricoh folks have REALLY pushed and pushed the RICOH message down our collective Pentax throats. It's sickening and repulsive.

Ricoh. Owns. Pentax.

If Ricoh was smart they would leave Pentax alone and build more brand awareness with SUBTLE links to Ricoh, but no.

It's like, "Pentax, you lost your identity because not enough of you bought your own products, you have been conquered, now OBEY your new masters! You are week, feeble, follow RICOH or die!!!"

"Kneel before ZOD!!!!"

Because I have had enough, I'm fighting back wherever I can. A little dig here, a little dig there.

I've been banned at the Pentax Facebook page because of what happened during Women's month when inane women-centric marketing videos and camera loans were showcased.

When Ricoh marketing started to take over the Pentax Facebook page, I said things like "C'mon, can we get back to Pentax now?"

I'm pretty sure I know the folks responsible (using LinkedIn) and I can trace it logically to folks that have no idea what Pentax is all about.

So my recommendations - as if anyone EVER listens to me - would be the following.

Stop trying to "convert" Pentaxians as if brand loyalty was something easily changed.

Precisely. I know Ricoh owns Pentax, what I can't understand is the full force moronic attempt to kill the Pentax identity.

08-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #38
Veteran Member

As in train-wreck.

Ricoh. Owns. Pentax.

"Kneel before ZOD!!!!"

You know, "social media" - talking, opinions - that sort of thing.

I disagree. It shows Ricoh is invested in the brand. It's their camera company now and everyone knows it. Hoya on the other hand treated it like the red headed step child. To pretend its separate would put the Pentax brand on the road to Vivitar. Just a name that's licensed to whom ever wants to use it. I think we should all be pretty happy Ricoh is jumping in with both feet like Sony did when it bought Minolta.

I'm pretty confident it won't become another photographic zombie brand.
08-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #39
Pentaxian

What would you guys prefer...
...great K-mount offerings bearing the Ricoh name, including FF, mirrorless and other cameras with features, build and quality as good or better than Canikon, Sony and Pentolympus...
or
...the same old cameras re-badged over and over and over under the Pentax name?
I know which one I'd prefer... I don't think it was bad for Sony to take over the name of the Minolta mount cameras, even though they had no choice and had to do it. But they could have called it something different if they really didn't want to put their name on the line. But now it says Sony so their brand name is on the line, they'll at least make their best effort not to put out crap, lest they start be seen as a failing brand (which unfortunately is a bit of the perception of the Pentax name right now).
Ricoh might or might not keep the Pentax name, we don't know, but at least they do seem to make sure that everybody knows that they are putting the Ricoh name on the line. At this point, my humble opinion is that this is all we could ask for.
Now if they drop the K-mount that's another story... I don't think they'd be foolish enough to do that.
08-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I disagree. It shows Ricoh is invested in the brand. It's their camera company now and everyone knows it. Hoya on the other hand treated it like the red headed step child. To pretend its separate would put the Pentax brand on the road to Vivitar. Just a name that's licensed to whom ever wants to use it. I think we should all be pretty happy Ricoh is jumping in with both feet like Sony did when it bought Minolta.

I'm pretty confident it won't become another photographic zombie brand.
We KNOW that Ricoh owns the company. " Pentax - A Ricoh Company" said that very clearly but allowed Pentax to continue to exist. Now ALL the websites do not say Pentax ANYWHERE other than on the photos and buried in the text. If it says "Pentax" on the camera and lens then you ought to be able to go on Facebook and find a "Pentax" page. Talk about NOT promoting a brand identity - that's what they are doing with Pentax - killing the brand.

As for which I would prefer - how about NOT killing a brand name by arrogantly having to have your own company be the only one we see? How about allowing people to google Pentax and find a support page, facebook page, and other material from your company (Ricoh)?
08-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Now if they drop the K-mount that's another story... I don't think they'd be foolish enough to do that.
If they do drop the K mount that means I will be able to pickup K5iis a dime a dozen and so many lovely K mount lenses I don't have yet, at rock bottom prices.
That'll hold me till I die.

C'mon Ricoh - drop the K!

JK
08-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
We KNOW that Ricoh owns the company. " Pentax - A Ricoh Company" said that very clearly but allowed Pentax to continue to exist. Now ALL the websites do not say Pentax ANYWHERE other than on the photos and buried in the text. If it says "Pentax" on the camera and lens then you ought to be able to go on Facebook and find a "Pentax" page. Talk about NOT promoting a brand identity - that's what they are doing with Pentax - killing the brand.

As for which I would prefer - how about NOT killing a brand name by arrogantly having to have your own company be the only one we see? How about allowing people to google Pentax and find a support page, facebook page, and other material from your company (Ricoh)?
I'm not sure I can go that far as I don't equate website URLs with brand identity. As long as you type in "Pentax(whatever).com" and get to where you intent then you can say Pentax "works" in some form or fashion. If they take the name off the camera, that will be a game changer.
08-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #43
Pentaxian

...As a thought leader for marketing...
The term "thought leader" already makes me dislike the guy I wish him well in the new job, because if Ricoh marketing increases market share the K-mount is more likely to survive.
08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
Pentaxian

We asked for marketing, and now that we have it we found how much we hate marketing speak?
08-15-2013, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The term "thought leader" already makes me dislike the guy I wish him well in the new job, because if Ricoh marketing increases market share the K-mount is more likely to survive.
Remember, thought is a noun and a verb.