Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The term "thought leader" already makes me dislike the guy I wish him well in the new job, because if Ricoh marketing increases market share the K-mount is more likely to survive.
These releases aren't for us. Their language isn't meant for us either. They are for Senior Buyers at the cusomers of Ricoh Imaging Americas; for Convention Planners; for Media decision makers; for other people in this person's circle of business relationships, etc.

All those people speak and think in this dialect of English. We think and speak in a more conversational dialect, Maria Montessori labeled our conversationl language Ethical Language because it is of the heart (the person). She called business language Technical Language because it is precise and has defined meaning to those who have learned the dialect.

Thought Leadership as a business characteristic is actually a bit stale these days. Collaboration, Innovation and Excellence are the current Buzz words.

08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
We are talking about competence and marketing as it relates to profit. They are called examples and said as asides, which
in polite conversation is acceptable. But thanks for your contribution to this discussion.
As bad and as incompetent as Pentax marketing has been, it still does not deserve to be compared to the American public schools systems.

I have never seen a Pentax booth at WPPI or anything other than the major trade shows. Even Fuji sets up booths at the WPPI and they were out of the ILC business for 5+ years.

Pentax hasn't even made an honest effort to market DSLRs in North America. My local pro shop is now stocking the Fuji X system..... They have not had Pentax product on the shelf since the 1990's.

Panasonic Selects Two Magnum Photographers to Trial GX7 | PhotographyBLOG Ever read any articles about big name photographers who use Pentax?
08-15-2013, 09:20 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These releases aren't for us. Their language isn't meant for us either. They are for Senior Buyers at the cusomers of Ricoh Imaging Americas; for Convention Planners; for Media decision makers; for other people in this person's circle of business relationships, etc.

All those people speak and think in this dialect of English. We think and speak in a more conversational dialect, Maria Montessori labeled our conversationl language Ethical Language because it is of the heart (the person). She called business language Technical Language because it is precise and has defined meaning to those who have learned the dialect.

Thought Leadership as a business characteristic is actually a bit stale these days. Collaboration, Innovation and Excellence are the current Buzz words.

I think you've created an important benchmark for greater threadwide synergization, while constraining comprehension bottlenecks. A core value in any forum centric team player.
08-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Brian McIntosh - from LinkedIn

"A seasoned marketing professional with more than 20 years of experience in marketing strategy and execution, management consulting, advertising and brand management. A respected leader with the ability to assemble and manage cross-functional teams, fostering an environment for team success. Developed brand strategies for multiple National brands such as Canon, Sony, HP, Samsung, Microsoft, AT&T, Select Comfort, Ford Motors, Western Union and Kraft Foods.

My experience includes the development, execution and management of marketing activities, including Digital Marketing, Social, e-Commerce, Channel/Product Marketing, Advertising, Brand Development, and Strategy Articulation.

As a thought leader for marketing I have written several whitepapers on Marketing Effectiveness and have appeared as a speaker at the Association of National Advertisers, The Customer Experience Summit, Marketing Operations Executive Summit Series, and Brand Execution Forums
"

The question is...what is his take on Pentax?
Ten companies in 20 years. At this rate he'll be gone by Christmas

08-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0brwy Quote
Or he could have worked for a marketing agency and managed multiple accounts.
08-15-2013, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

No, let's go with the worst case scenario and assume everyone working at Pentax is incompetent.
As exxpected, this lovely forum already started bashing him.
08-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0brwy Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Or he could have worked for a marketing agency and managed multiple accounts.
He had two postings at one ad agency and his early postings were account rep jobs. Advertising account rep jobs are tied to an ad contract. Could be that the contract was short and was not renewed. Could be the contract was lost. Could be he is good and was recruited - good salesmen are in high demand. Could be he sux and was dismissed. Who knows?

His career appears to have become more stable when he went into marketing management and left the sales / account rep side of the business.

The release specifically says he is responsible for the Pentax Brand cameras and sport optics. Ricoh branded cameras were not mentioned. Doesn't sound to me like the Pentax brand is going away. If anything could be inferred from such omissions (as this Forum is wont to do), it would be the Ricoh brand that is going down the memory hole.

08-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, what a thread. Several points jumped to mind as I read through. In no particular order:

What if Ricoh were to announce their own GdslR featuring The Pentax K-Mount? Would that make us feel better? I guess it would for me and I would seriously consider buying it. I wouldn't be happy over the loss of the brand Pentax, but at least one of the major innovations of Pentax would survive.

You know, in a sense we are all Marketing Managers when we make purchasing choices. I wonder how often these biz school whiz kids actually imagine themselves in the shoes of real consumers?

Personally, other than this site, I do very little in the way of social media. I do agree that it is nice for like-minded folks to get together and share, but I get upset when the culture turns exclusive rather than inclusive. In a similar vein I worry what humanity's future will be when everyone only sees what they desire to see for news as well as entertainment. Could you have imagined a past where the NY Times sold you a subscription for the Sports Section and no other?

Ricoh should understand that they are known more as an office equipment company which "dabbled" over the years in cameras. "Pentax, a Ricoh Brand" should have been their strategy from the get-go. That provides identity and distinction from their own products without diluting either.

Maybe I should not end with the off-topic discussion about education, but doesn't it seem that "the bottom line" drives way too many things? I wail all the time to my wife as we pass by another small park or other "green" area being bulldozed for some monstrosity with better rateables.

Nuff said,

Jeff
08-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well, I've had enough of Ricoh social media as of late. As an example, the "Pentax" Facebook page which started long before the Ricoh buyout was a great place for Pentaxians to hang out, but not anymore.

The Pentax Facebook page is now a Ricoh page. Instead of building two complete brand identities and nurturing each, some idiot decided to crash the Pentax page with an onslaught of Ricoh.

As in train-wreck.

That's NOT how you do it.

Social media works when like minded folks get together and share. When you get marketing mistakes that force-feed a message that you don't want, you destroy whatever social "good-will" you have.

The Ricoh folks have REALLY pushed and pushed the RICOH message down our collective Pentax throats. It's sickening and repulsive.

Since the buy-out, we GET IT.
Ricoh. Owns. Pentax.

If Ricoh was smart they would leave Pentax alone and build more brand awareness with SUBTLE links to Ricoh, but no.

We have been hammered on the head over these last months.
It's like, "Pentax, you lost your identity because not enough of you bought your own products, you have been conquered, now OBEY your new masters! You are week, feeble, follow RICOH or die!!!"

"Kneel before ZOD!!!!"

Because I have had enough, I'm fighting back wherever I can. A little dig here, a little dig there.

I've been banned at the Pentax Facebook page because of what happened during Women's month when inane women-centric marketing videos and camera loans were showcased.

It was horrible and I voiced my opinion.
You know, "social media" - talking, opinions - that sort of thing.

When Ricoh marketing started to take over the Pentax Facebook page, I said things like "C'mon, can we get back to Pentax now?"

I'm pretty sure I know the folks responsible (using LinkedIn) and I can trace it logically to folks that have no idea what Pentax is all about.

So my recommendations - as if anyone EVER listens to me - would be the following.

Give Pentax back it's independent social media presence.
Give Pentax back it's websites.
Link to Ricoh in subtle ways, do not keep force-feeding it in our faces.
How about Ricoh cameras standing on their own and building their own fan base?
Stop trying to "convert" Pentaxians as if brand loyalty was something easily changed.

Well, Nikon has their own Facebook page and they're owned by the Mitsubishi Group (maker of cars, televisions, air-conditioning units and other things. ;-)

08-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
Well, Nikon has their own Facebook page and they're owned by the Mitsubishi Group (maker of cars, televisions, air-conditioning units and other things. ;-)
That's only partially true. Nikon stock trades publicly NINOY. It is not a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi the way Pentax is owned by Ricoh. Rather it is an autonomous part of the Mitsubishi Group under Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Mitsubishi UFJ Group holds a major stake in my employer but you wouldn't know that from the outside.

"Nikon's focus extends far wider than most consumers would believe. Though well-known for its cameras, lenses, and other consumer imaging products, Nikon vies with national rival Canon and Netherlands-based ASML Holding to be the world's top producer of photolithography steppers, which is the crucial equipment used to etch circuitry onto semiconductor wafers and LCD panels (the Precision Equipment division). The company's Instruments unit makes surveying instruments, microscopes, and measuring instruments. Other products include ophthalmic lenses, optical equipment, and thin film coatings. Founded in 1917, Nikon is part of the huge Mitsubishi keiretsu, a group of businesses linked by cross-ownership."

Ricoh, Hitachi and Canon are part of the same keiretsu, Fuyo Group.
08-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #56
Banned

Being a marketing manager is just discretionary title made so he talks easier with distributors, media, etc.
Most likely he is not replacing current manager of marketing but aiding help in work, and splits the burden.
In other words, not much news here folks. I wonder why this thread was even started?

Last edited by Uluru; 08-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.
08-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
If you take a look at McIntosh's LinkedIn page, he started at Pentax 3 months ago. It also appears that he is local, so he should just start driving into a different driveway and parking lot - i.e., no need for a lot of time to transfer from a different geographical location.
There is sometimes a "Garden Period" after employment during which a person may not openly be employed by a competitor or in a similar position or whatever language is written into the previous employer's contract - sort of the other end of "Golden Handcuffs." Perhaps McIntosh had a three-month Garden Period in his previous employment contract . I wish LinkedIn allowed us to view the date his current employer entry was updated.
08-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't get it, Ricoh or Pentax? Who cares what you call it? What we need are improved camera bodies and more high quality lenses.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.... Marketing will help, additional quality products will help more.

Quality products and marketing improvement will certainly help. Call it Ricoh or call it Pentax - what's the difference?

More marketing effort can only help - why so negative?
08-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
We are talking about competence and marketing as it relates to profit. They are called examples and said as asides, which
in polite conversation is acceptable. But thanks for your contribution to this discussion.
Your opinion and when 'examples' take over the discussion ...the discussion loses it's focus.
08-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #60
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I don't get it, Ricoh or Pentax? Who cares what you call it? What we need are improved camera bodies and more high quality lenses.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.... Marketing will help, additional quality products will help more.

Quality products and marketing improvement will certainly help. Call it Ricoh or call it Pentax - what's the difference?

More marketing effort can only help - why so negative?
Since people love car analogies, here is one: if Ricoh were to buy Porsche and fade out the Porsche name, would the car still be as desirable? If you believe the analogy to be invalid, it is probably because you were not around in the days that Pentax was a significant name in photography.