Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I'm going to lay it on the line here... since you insist on keeping the schools thing alive. Given my experience in Canada I have to say, private schools usually provide a lower PTR, which gives them a better educational experience, countless studies have shown that PTR is the biggest factor in education. They do that by paying their teachers significantly less. I have a hard time with people who claim they have "management skills " based on underpaying their workers. Ya, Walmart folks are really good at that, I agree. what that has to do with Pentax marketing is beyond me. You guys can invent reality to take care of your own biases and delusions, really, drink whatever cool aid you want. But please quit trying to justify your biases to the rest of us in the guise of discussing Pentax marketing. As stated, it's political, it's part of a wage repression agenda, it has no place on the forum. It's simply not as you stated and is extremely debatable, with the opinions basicly coming down to, privilege of the rich. There's absolutely no reason to go there.

08-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
If you believe the analogy to be invalid, it is probably because you were not around in the days that Pentax was a significant name in photography.
Uhmm, I think Rockville Bob is a pretty significant name in certain parts of the Eastern Seaboard around Maryland.
08-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since people love car analogies, here is one: if Ricoh were to buy Porsche and fade out the Porsche name, would the car still be as desirable? If you believe the analogy to be invalid, it is probably because you were not around in the days that Pentax was a significant name in photography.
Yeah but Porsche is still relevant today and revered and loved and wanted and bought.
I'm not so familiar with car brands, but Pentax wouldn't be a Porsche. Leica would be closer to Porsche.
08-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #64
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhmm, I think Rockville Bob is a pretty significant name in certain parts of the Eastern Seaboard around Maryland.
What, the noodle place??? Significant in photography?

08-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #65
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Yeah but Porsche is still relevant today and revered and loved and wanted and bought.
I'm not so familiar with car brands, but Pentax wouldn't be a Porsche. Leica would be closer to Porsche.
OK, fair enough. But my own feeling is that, because of its former stature, at least some of us are hoping for a resurrection, hence the desire to retain the name. I suppose it's easy to understand ambivalence of the part of younger users.
08-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #66
Pentaxian

OK, fair enough. But my own feeling is that, because of its former stature, at least some of us are hoping for a resurrection, hence the desire to retain the name. I suppose it's easy to understand ambivalence of the part of younger users.
I don't know about you, but when I was still a teenager and a proud Pentax MX owner, Ricoh made cheap DSLRs with K-mount. Imagining Ricoh buying Pentax and putting the Ricoh badge on Pentax cameras back then probably was as unlikely as Samyang buying Nikon now and introducing the Samyang D900 ;-)
08-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #67
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't know about you, but when I was still a teenager and a proud Pentax MX owner, Ricoh made cheap DSLRs with K-mount. Imagining Ricoh buying Pentax and putting the Ricoh badge on Pentax cameras back then probably was as unlikely as Samyang buying Nikon now and introducing the Samyang D900 ;-)
In fact, aside from the fact that Pentax is a top name in my book (for historic reasons), this is largely my problem: I do not associate the Ricoh name with serious photographic equipment (never mind that it's quality probably surpasses my own photographic skills ). This is not to say that I don't believe Ricoh can produce quality products - I'm sure they can.
08-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #68
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In fact, aside from the fact that Pentax is a top name in my book (for historic reasons), this is largely my problem: I do not associate the Ricoh name with serious photographic equipment (never mind that it's quality probably surpasses my own photographic skills ). This is not to say that I don't believe Ricoh can produce quality products - I'm sure they can.
The same could be said about Sony. Were they deeply associated with serious photographic equipment before? Look at them now after buying Minolta and building up a brand with a selection of awesome cameras?

Personally, I'd be OK with a Ricoh branded camera. I had a Ricoh XR-M in my younger days and it felt too notch to me. If Ricoh is serious about K-mount development then who are we to complain? It will help Pentax of the past, Pentax of today, and Ric-Tax of the future.

08-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The same could be said about Sony. Were they deeply associated with serious photographic equipment before? Look at them now after buying Minolta and building up a brand with a selection of awesome cameras?

Personally, I'd be OK with a Ricoh branded camera. I had a Ricoh XR-M in my younger days and it felt too notch to me. If Ricoh is serious about K-mount development then who are we to complain? It will help Pentax of the past, Pentax of today, and Ric-Tax of the future.
If Sony had the opportunity to retain the Minolta name for their cameras, they would be in a better place today than they are trying to compete with Canon and Nikon in interchangeable lens cameras. Just my opinion, of course.
08-16-2013, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter

Ricoh will keep Pentax as a brand, there is so much value in the name and history. In fact if you look at the About section of Ricoh Imaging or the History section it is ALL Pentax. It also clearly shows that although the parent company has had half a dozen different names from Asahi, Honeywell, Hoya and now Ricoh (to name but a few) the brand and the big name items have always been proudly called Pentax. Pentax as a brand will continue on, I highly doubt Ricoh has any intent of shooting their feet, they seem like a smart company heading in the right direction. Furthermore, they have made excellent strategic and operational moves to cement future success: new marketing manager, reorganized lineup that makes sense to consumers, increased dist. networks globally, entered into the Indian market, etc etc

I have no fear about Pentax being chewed up and spit out, it just doesnt make sense or seem likely at all.
08-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If Sony had the opportunity to retain the Minolta name for their cameras, they would be in a better place today than they are trying to compete with Canon and Nikon in interchangeable lens cameras. Just my opinion, of course.
I tend to agree... Sony did not kill Minolta... they just can not use the name as part of the deal. OTOH, Ricoh owns Pentax (including the name) in the purchase, it would be foolish to kill it IMHO.
08-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

There has never been any indication that Ricoh is going to stop using the Pentax brand name. I'm not even sure why people are talking about it.
08-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Sounds to me that they are going to emphasize phone applications, online , social media to get the message across...rather than old style print media. Many large corporations are going this way to get their message across.

My kids who are in their 20's....rely heavily on their smartphones to check out news, get a wide variety of product information, etc.

They don't read print newspapers/ magazines.....or as a result...check out advertising in old fashioned print media. I still do...but then I'm a baby boomer and way behind modern methods of accessing information.

I used to work in the publishing field and I can tell you the print/TV / radio industry does not appear to have much of a future if the younger generation continues to ignore them.

I would say Ricoh-Pentax seems to be pursuing the right way...social media accessed through smart phone and online....to get the youth market. The youth market is the most important market to cater to...if a company is to have a future.
Pretty accurate. Especially since we care enough (ahem, are invested in the Pentax brand enough) to be looking at linked-in profiles, even if personally I am using an "old-fashioned" laptop to view this.

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
PENTAX - Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation Expands Team with Appointment of Brian McIntosh as Director of Marketing

Looks like they want to focus on online presence and communications with user community. If executed well, this change could be very good for Pentax in the U.S.
At last. Director level representation. Means that there is much more likelihood that this person will know the intended company strategy, and heaven forbid be able to contribute to it from outside Asia.
There was one other (removed) comment re: John Carlson - interesting that he remains at (senior) manager level.

However will they listen from the tools they have? - as per Lauren's comment - maybe not.

Contrast with the vibe Fuji is currently getting from the firmware updates they have issued on their flagship camera series. They certainly have my attention.
08-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #74
Site Supporter

A very interesting press release. Sounds like direct on-line sales will be the future and improving everything from sales to service.
"Additionally, McIntosh will head-up an initiative to expand and grow social media engagement by developing an online community where professional and casual photographers can come together and share images, techniques and information, improving engagement and customer experience."
That's not facebook or twitter, that's Pentax Forums. Maybe they are buying PF and hiring Adam, maybe they are hiring some online merchandising experts away from place like Newegg and Amazon. More likely we don't know what they will do. I think that all the angst in this thread about the name is unfounded. It looks to me as if Ricoh is serious about the camera business, because if you just wanted to spruce it up to resell you would not integrate it into you corporation so much, then it would be easy to divest (like Hoya did). It looks as though they are targeting young consumers, which is exactly what they should be doing. The larger the user base, the more potential for producing and selling the higher end products that the crowd here wants.
08-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Pentax wouldn't be a Porsche.
I hope not.

Wasn't Porsche the company with an expensive product called the "911"?