Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #271
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I expect the new management will be rather unsentimental regarding existent technology.
Not so sure, as even the investment comes in the form of the lens designs and architecture to make them. They will scale down flawed ones, I'm sure. The one thing that does bother me is that many people are willing to pay for SDM repairs over and over and the prices are frankly astounding for a flawed item. Mercedes uses this model to donate to their business- horrifically overpriced parts that last 30-50km, horrifically overpriced repairs (I know, I have one and source the parts and do as many repairs as I can myself).

It's too much of a business, so they might keep the lenses out there, flaws and all, knowing people, by and large, will spring to repair. Support declining business. Also, my dealer told me that many abandoned lenses when they heard the prices (and why they were stuck with service charges and told me their fees are collected up front now), so I could imagine Pentax makes a tiny bit of scratch on the side by fixing abandoned lenses and selling them/offering them for replacement/trades.

09-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #272
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And finally, I'm posting photos because this is supposed to be a photography forum.
I think you're mistaken. This is NOT a photography forum. This is, by and large, a GEAR and PRODUCT forum. Photography is incidental and composed of only a tiny portion of this forum's theme. DPR is the same. Photography forums generally don't generate incomes. Selling and advertising for products does. That's why Amazon owns DPR and that's why forums like this are heavily involved in referring for products. It's too bad they don't offer referrals to generate incomes for photographers, but that is not their goal.

When you're on a real photography forum, you will know it. In fact, I'm a contributor to a megathread on a private forum composed of many talented photographers, including several that are pros. The moment gear themes come up that might resemble this forum or DPR, people are utterly brutalized for it. That is a photography thread. We talk techniques there and artistic interpretations and give each other ideas of things we can do. We've all brought each other up with it and promote our own work.

Forums like this are GEAR forums. You need to know the difference and passing it off as a "photography" forum is not going to make it one, ever.

Last edited by snake; 09-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
When you're on a real photography forum, you will know it. In fact, I'm a contributor to a megathread on a private forum composed of many talented photographers, including several that are pros.
Flickr?
09-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #274
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Flickr?
Flickr is not a forum, though it has some communication facilities. Not everyone is there, especially those that don't want Getty to take their stuff and use it without consent, notification, or compensation.

The forum where I'm at is free of the obligatory "great photo" replies to even crap and gear talk is done off-board, or highly minimized and what's stressed is the concept and composition, not the equipment.

Again, if I see forums turning around and offering assistance and referrals for photographers, rather than to buy equipment, I'll ID them as "photography sites". However, some people are misleading themselves into thinking that forums that talk about gear (where a large number of people are in it for the gadget factor) and are storefronts for certain gear retailers are "photography" sites.

Last edited by snake; 09-12-2013 at 01:22 PM.
09-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #275
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're mistaken. This is NOT a photography forum. This is, by and large, a GEAR and PRODUCT forum. Photography is incidental and composed of only a tiny portion of this forum's theme. DPR is the same. Photography forums generally don't generate incomes. Selling and advertising for products does. That's why Amazon owns DPR and that's why forums like this are heavily involved in referring for products. It's too bad they don't offer referrals to generate incomes for photographers, but that is not their goal.

When you're on a real photography forum, you will know it. In fact, I'm a contributor to a megathread on a private forum composed of many talented photographers, including several that are pros. The moment gear themes come up that might resemble this forum or DPR, people are utterly brutalized for it. That is a photography thread. We talk techniques there and artistic interpretations and give each other ideas of things we can do. We've all brought each other up with it and promote our own work.

Forums like this are GEAR forums. You need to know the difference and passing it off as a "photography" forum is not going to make it one, ever.
So should you break the news to the people on these threads or should I?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/123731-no-more-tests-just-pictures.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/176169-pentax-q-street-shots-post-them-here.html

etc...

Why does this have to be an either or?

The world is not high-contrast B&W. It's greyscale.
09-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #276
Banned

You might have found some threads, but as evidenced even by some of the titles, they are made as a break from the large percentage of gear talk. Not to mention, some of the context within escapes you, as in pics are posted as an example of what a cam can do and/or defending a purchase, not what the photographer is thinking inside about a composition. I come here for gear talk, myself. Photo talk goes elsewhere.

But again, you believe this to be a "photography" forum, so I'll leave you to it. When you find a real photography forum, you'll know it. Perhaps you might even make connections there and might even be able to use it to sell your work and the site will offer a referral agreement for you.

Last edited by snake; 09-12-2013 at 02:02 PM.
09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not so sure, as even the investment comes in the form of the lens designs and architecture to make them.
The $125MM investment included an allowance for stock held in inventory. One supposes there was/is a stock of 16~50's and 50~135's in inventory. One also supposes a businessw strategy might be to liquidate that stock through normal sales channels and introduce a replacement technology when introducing replacement lens designs.

Business ethics is an oxymoron, as every buyer should know.

09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #278
Veteran Member

You might have found some threads, but as evidenced even by some of the titles, they are made as a break from the large percentage of gear talk. Not to mention, some of the context within escapes you, as in pics are posted as an example of what a cam can do and/or defending a purchase, not what the photographer is thinking inside about a composition. I come here for gear talk, myself. Photo talk goes elsewhere.

But again, you believe this to be a "photography" forum, so I'll leave you to it. When you find a real photography forum, you'll know it. Perhaps you might even make connections there and might even be able to use it to sell your work and the site will offer a referral agreement for you.

Hey thanks for your condescending tone. It's much appreciated. It is a shame that the folks here posting photos don't meet your lofty standards.
09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #279
Veteran Member

Why do I see a menu above called "Photos", with albums, galleries, and photo contests?

This site is for all of: equipment, "how to" articles, and photos. It certainly isn't intended to be just about equipment.
09-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #280
Pentaxian

This is a fabrication [...rest snipped]
You are pissed? Fair enough. But - however: you were asked for a reference for your claims, nothing came but referring to german forums. I looked there - I follow them regularly - and did not see any support for your claim. Maybe it's true that also the new versions are not better, but maybe also not. You can not come up with any substantial data or references. Actually, I really do not care, I don't have these lenses and I don't need them, fine with my primes. So, I'm out, have fun, or not, it's your choice, as with everything in life. Habe die Ehre.
09-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The forum where I'm at is free of the obligatory "great photo" replies to even crap and gear talk is done off-board, or highly minimized and what's stressed is the concept and composition, not the equipment.
Instagram?
09-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Huh. There are nearly 600,000 posts in 74,000 threads in the Photo Sharing and Galleries Forum and sub-Forums. There are

2,464,760 posts · 224,526 threads · 55,852 members in PentaxForums as of the time of this Post.

You are free to draw whatever conclusions you may from this unscientific observation. I for one would like to see and discuss comparable statistics from your German photography-only forum.
09-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
It is also interesting that no lenses with SDM have been introduced for a couple of years now.
"The Pentax DA 645 25mm lens will become available in April, 2012 for $4,995.

"Autofocus
Yes (SDM)
with Quick-Shift"

From
SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL [IF] SDM AW Reviews - 645 Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
09-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #284
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Instagram?
What about it?

Vine for videographers?

This is still a photo GEAR forum, no matter how many other sites you're bringing up.

And you do know the limitations for Instagram, correct?
09-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about it?

Vine for videographers?

This is still a photo GEAR forum, no matter how many other sites you're bringing up.

And you do know the limitations for Instagram, correct?
Oh. You must be using 500px then, right?

That's where all the cool, good photographers go I heard.

Except the astounding ones at Fred Miranda. They are too cool for any of that.