Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
connect google glass to the dslr camera live view and I want one.

09-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Olympus has a product like this on the market for years. Pentax users are just dreaming.
09-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Olympus has a product like this on the market for years. Pentax users are just dreaming.
They sort of have a patent like this for years but no actual product.
09-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
If I may ask, sir, based on this post and on the other threads today, why are you here then?

09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe. But 5 years ago I thought phone cameras and social media were creepy. Glass will eventually be accepted.
ahem, excuse me, "social media" _is_ creepy, more so today than 5 years ago. i agree with you, they will be accepted faster than most people will be able to process the implications (much like camera phones and the recent "you can't shoot me in public because because.. privacy" bullshit -- obviously there's no privacy in public places, so this is obviously just a desperate reaction to "unforseen" implications of new technology which moved in too fast for most people to take in the whole implications of it)
09-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
ahem, excuse me, "social media" _is_ creepy, more so today than 5 years ago. i agree with you, they will be accepted faster than most people will be able to process the implications (much like camera phones and the recent "you can't shoot me in public because because.. privacy" bullshit -- obviously there's no privacy in public places, so this is obviously just a desperate reaction to "unforseen" implications of new technology which moved in too fast for most people to take in the whole implications of it)
Oh I definitely agree that social media is creepy. I don't use most of it and don't self-identify when I do. If you don't have a Profile you can't be "tagged," right? - they can type your name in but it won't link to anything. Glass is only creepier than a surreptitious phone cam video because people can see you are holding the phone cam up.

None of that will stop the eventual common use of Glass. HUD map while I navigate in my car has some utility. Of course that might qualify as distracted driving.

I think the big fight will come when some dude gets detained near a police action for simply having glasses on his nose.
09-07-2013, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #142
Inactive Account

I don't use most of it and don't self-identify when I do. If you don't have a Profile you can't be "tagged," right? - they can type your name in but it won't link to anything.
that's not entirely true anymore ..

What is a Facebook shadow profile | Digital Trends

Facebook Knows Your Friends?Even if They?re Not on Facebook - IEEE Spectrum

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/06/facebook_data_br...contacts.html]

09-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
that's not entirely true anymore ..
Yeah, I know all that and there's nothing I can do to control it. But I can refuse to have profiles at Social Media sites. I can use dummy email addresses that aren't gmail or icloud or msn when I do register places. I can use AdBlockers.

None of which will stop the creepiest big data companies and government agencies. But it cuts down on the rampant 15-level linking of information about me to people half a world away.

At least I don't get a lot of SPAM and I've had my public email addy for years.
09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has been an interesting read so far. Just waiting for the rest of the story to be played out - one way or another.

The bottom line is, that light goes through the lens, is focused on the sensor, the photographer composes and captures the image. Personally I like optical mechanical lenses. I like my screw drive, and on a tripod - manual focusing is ok.

I stayed with Pentax for two reasons - the in body stabilization and the Pentax glass from yesteryear.

I realize that something will need to happen, and for Pentax as a brand (notice, I did not say company) - it needs to accommodate the current K mount. I don't need SDM (they fail / break / really don't revert to screw drive (well ok, the "work a round"). I do have "one" the Sigma 8-16. I have gone so far as to remount some old Contax Zeiss manual glass.

The comment on Ricoh / Pentax / Acme is - I think more true than what may have been intended.

The bottom line is - what ever the future holds, it needs to be drop dead SIMPLE and dependable, works the first time, every time and all the time. I do not want to be plugging 42 lego parts together to take a f**king image. If I am becoming to sound like an old geezer - well I guess it will happen to all of us, given that we live long enough.

I would like to see some of the classic lenses - updated. It appears that in form of the K mount that may not occur - which is a shame. I really do not want or need electro-wizardry in an optical lens. Not against electronics at all - I make my living in computers. That said, I am out capturing images, and I don't need the SDM - whatever lens becoming a disposable consumer product. We already have that with the bodies. There is no way, I am going to put $500 to $2000 into a disposable consumer optical lens and have it go sour, then have the vendor walk away mumbling "too bad - so sad".

09-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh I definitely agree that social media is creepy. I don't use most of it and don't self-identify when I do. If you don't have a Profile you can't be "tagged," right? - they can type your name in but it won't link to anything. Glass is only creepier than a surreptitious phone cam video because people can see you are holding the phone cam up.

None of that will stop the eventual common use of Glass. HUD map while I navigate in my car has some utility. Of course that might qualify as distracted driving.

I think the big fight will come when some dude gets detained near a police action for simply having glasses on his nose.
Phone cameras and social media seem to be used for the ubiquitous "selfie" and look-at-me photos of the star-jump, finger-on-top-of-famous-structure or (if you're Japanese) the once-meaningful 'V'-sign kind. Acceptance of Google Glass means a huge shift away from that to a more candid style of photography. If we think people will be happy and accepting of the loss of control of their (contrived) self-image, then perhaps we should think again. It would probably be better for their mental health, but I really doubt that'll happen, at least not with the self-obsession that has grown to dominate people's thinking in the West.
09-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #146
Veteran Member

This is news to me....does this mean K mount lenses be thing of the past? Time to sell all the K-mount lenses before there no market for them
09-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Too late, they're already worthless. But, I'll tell you what - I have contacts within the aluminium recycling business, so I'll buy (and, eventually, recycle) any Limiteds you might have for about $20 per kg.
09-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #148
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
This is news to me....
That is tarrific news for anybody: for Ricoh, Pentax, pentaxians, nonpentaxians etc.
09-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Acceptance of Google Glass means a huge shift away from that to a more candid style of photography.
The only thing that needs to be accepted about Google Glass is those who choose to wear one within arm's reach of strangers must accept they have wasted a lot of money on something that will become broken by a method not covered under warranty, ie being snatched from their face and crushed underfoot. I do believe Google Glass will become the most vandalised product ever sold simply because it needs to be - the only way to ensure a wearer who declines to remove their Google Glass isn't recording with it is to physically render it incapable of doing so. And so I predict that's exactly what will happen.
09-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #150
Veteran Member

sounds more like a promise to me, rather than a profecy