Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #151
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
This is news to me....does this mean K mount lenses be thing of the past? Time to sell all the K-mount lenses before there no market for them
This is Pentax land, of flying unicorns, nymphs, sea monsters, magic beans, and never fulfilled promises — never forget that.
And this story is a typical Pentax flying fancy of the famished; a magical potion for the soul in the form of an impossible mean, a magical chariot, or some sort of Hail Mary pass, that will help dethroned prince Pentax regain his rightful place in the universe.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.
09-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
This is news to me....does this mean K mount lenses be thing of the past? Time to sell all the K-mount lenses before there no market for them
No

@uluru
10-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I saw this very interesting article on PentaxOne - Accueil, a big Pentax forum in France, written by fellow member Mistral75: PentaxOne - Rumeurs 2013

Google translation:

This whole rumor sounds exactly like what Sony did. Several mounts with several adapters.

Makes me wonder tho. The original Sony Playstation was supposed to be a Nintendo, but Nintendo backed out. So Sony released it on their own. It'd be really funny if the a7 was actually a failed joint with Ricoh to produce a LX-D, which it curiously resembles.

Last edited by konraDarnok; 10-21-2013 at 06:59 AM.
10-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
a LX-D, which it curiously resembles.
Come on, it only vaguely resembles an LX because it takes design hints from 1970s SLRs. The faux pentaprism actually is quite similar to the pentaprism of the Topcon Unirex(*) (including the rather uncommon lettering on the "prism" itself and not below it) - so is the A7 Topcon's secret stealth return to the SLR market?

(*) My first SLR when 14 years old, a great camera which I now regret having sold. But I had to finance my switch to Pentax MX - the Unirex had a too limited lens selection!

10-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Come on, it only vaguely resembles an LX because it takes design hints from 1970s SLRs. The faux pentaprism actually is quite similar to the pentaprism of the Topcon Unirex(*) (including the rather uncommon lettering on the "prism" itself and not below it) - so is the A7 Topcon's secret stealth return to the SLR market?

(*) My first SLR when 14 years old, a great camera which I now regret having sold. But I had to finance my switch to Pentax MX - the Unirex had a too limited lens selection!

Just sayin' The rumor was remarkably prescient, just for the wrong brand.
10-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #156
Pentaxian

This whole rumor sounds exactly like what Sony did. Several mounts with several adapters.

Makes me wonder tho. The original Sony Playstation was supposed to be a Nintendo, but Nintendo backed out. So Sony released it on their own. It'd be really funny if the a7 was actually a failed joint with Ricoh to produce a LX-D, which it curiously resembles.
Breaks my heart to see this.

Pentax could have been there first if not for the wasted Hoya years.

But the A-E mount adapter makes me afraid that Pentax would adopt such a frankenstien solution for us if such a system comes about.
10-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote

Well, the LX-D rumor was about a mirrorless camera with a new A-mount that would still be able to use the lenses from the mirrored line through an autofocus adapter. That is 100% exactly what the new Sony A7(r) does. That ugly adapter is not only able to AF the A-lenses, it mimics a complete mirrorbox and even has a translucent mirror.

I always thought it was strange for Pentax to name a new mount "A". This could indeed be a Sony rumor that ended up in Pentax land, because it would be so logical for Pentax to be the one to do it.

10-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, the LX-D rumor was about a mirrorless camera with a new A-mount that would still be able to use the lenses from the mirrored line through an autofocus adapter. That is 100% exactly what the new Sony A7(r) does. That ugly adapter is not only able to AF the A-lenses, it mimics a complete mirrorbox and even has a translucent mirror.

I always thought it was strange for Pentax to name a new mount "A". This could indeed be a Sony rumor that ended up in Pentax land, because it would be so logical for Pentax to be the one to do it.
Logical with a such a dubious adapter?
C'mon... what a klunky solution. And then you want to change the lens to mirrorlens and you have tu remove the adapter and...

And to feel no hassle at all to use that adapter you need to buy one for all your mirrored lenses and let them stuck to the lenses.
That's really really a good idea, I'd say...

No way !
10-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #159
Pentaxian

Just sayin' The rumor was remarkably prescient, just for the wrong brand.
Just the R&D and marketing departments of different manufacturers working on similar products, dans l'air du temps.

Sony was/is ahead of Ricoh/Pentax on this one.
10-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #160
Veteran Member

When I saw the new Sony a7/R I had the same thought as konraDarnok. The Sony is very tempting in its own right especially at those price points. What is foggy is what the E mount means. The E mount was developed for the Sony NEX line which are APS-C. At first I thought it didn't make sense that Sony would produce a full frame camera that has an APS-C only mount. That an adapter would be needed to use actual full frame lenses. This is not entirely correct. There are a handful of Sony/Zeiss E mount lenses that are full frame. Having nothing invested in a Sony system you could start out with a Sony a7/R with full frame E mount lenses. The a7/R is even weather sealed. It is much smaller than any full frame camera and even substantially smaller than either the K-5 or K-3. The a7/R weighs nearly half as much as the K-5/3.

This would be a great direction for Pentax to go. I think the K-01 was a good step for Pentax. It just needs to get even more serious. Take it to the next level. A Sony a7/R like camera is a good benchmark. The K-01 concept of maintaining k-mount but allowing for new innovative lens design through the XS lens idea is an excellent path. In my minds eye a Sony a7/R type camera is what I was looking for Pentax to produce. Lets hope Sony was able to put forward first what they saw Pentax already developing.
10-21-2013, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian

I'm not willing to give up on the K-mount, and optical viewfinders. Those who thinks an A7-like camera is such a good idea can simply buy one - without requiring Pentax to make one.
10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not willing to give up on the K-mount, and optical viewfinders. Those who thinks an A7-like camera is such a good idea can simply buy one - without requiring Pentax to make one.
Yep, but at the same time, as long as Pentax keep mirror and OVF, I don't give a damn thay aslso market an FF MILC if it suits them and sells.
I don't care at all.
10-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Just the R&D and marketing departments of different manufacturers working on similar products, dans l'air du temps.

Sony was/is ahead of Ricoh/Pentax on this one.
Ahead in the sense they have an FF MILC which, if that wasn't enough, is at a nice budget price point. Clearly. Won hands down.

On a strict marketing point though it is messy: they offer an "a- camera" which isn't compatible with A mount and needs an adapter to do so, and bulky one (although it offers AF but really, is it worth it?) and E mount lenses can be used but only in a crop mode (of there's any) and NEX brand is dead so they use the A- brand but lenses of A mount don't work directly.

Yeah, nicely done. Typical Sony

How to botch a good (or at least nice) product with crappy everything else.
10-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
There are a handful of Sony/Zeiss E mount lenses that are full frame. Having nothing invested in a Sony system you could start out with a Sony a7/R with full frame E mount lenses. The a7/R is even weather sealed. It is much smaller than any full frame camera and even substantially smaller than either the K-5 or K-3.
True at the express condition you don't put Pentax down because DA lenses aren't FullFrame.
Because that's exactly the same situation.
10-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep, but at the same time, as long as Pentax keep mirror and OVF, I don't give a damn thay aslso market an FF MILC if it suits them and sells.
I don't care at all.
I don't think they can do it now, without taking necessary resources from the K-mount (which is being rebuilt as we speak); but if they can and want to do it later, I have nothing against it.
I still wouldn't buy it, though.