Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Thank you. You said "I sometimes hardly recognise in the Google translation what I wrote in French", and this is precisely the reason why I asked you for clarifications.

What's interesting is that such a product appears in conflict with public statements made by Pentax:
"First, there is a trend that is moving forward to higher IQ among whole this industry includes manufacturers and consumers. Meantime, mirrorless segment is moving forward to smaller size. Even though there was possibility to bring FF into this segment, it was our conclusion that APS-C should be the utmost size for mirrorless segment."
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/201538-dc-watch-interv...velopment.html

But maybe it was (or is) an internal project, inspired by GXR's modularity; or your source is not that accurate after all.
You are welcome.

Re new mount and its format, if I, as a camera manufacturer, were to launch a completely new, short register mount meant to be used with APS-C sensors, I would make it compatible with 24x36 sensors. It wouldn't cost much (a slightly larger diameter) and could be very useful if the market ever asks for 24x36 sensors -one never knows.

By the way, it's exactly what Pentax did when they designed the Q mount: it's much larger than what would be strictly necessary to accommodate 1/2.3" or even 1/1.7" sensors.

08-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Why would anyone buy such a camera over a Sony FF NEX camera?
08-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #48
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It's not necessary for a product to make sense to be advertised.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.
08-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Ergonomics? Wrong color? Root kit?

It's natural to think everyone should make the same choices I do when mine are so obviously correct, right? But they do and I suspect will keep on doing so. I guess factors important to me may not be so important to everyone else.

08-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Root kit?
Heh. Again >5
08-26-2013, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Wow, this rumor succeeds on almost all levels:
  • Crazy.
  • But not TOO crazy given Ricoh's recent product history (*cough*GXR*cough*).
  • Set against a backdrop of organizational discord within Pentax/Ricoh.
  • Buttressed by reference to old and loved (but also crazy) Pentax products from yesteryear.
  • Angst-provoking among traditionalists.
  • It's different, alright.
  • Lots of interchangeable parts! Fun!
  • Hmm... it's actually somewhat plausible.

I give it a 8.7/10 for now. I may upgrade the score if we get a full-fledged member-against-member flame war, complete with ad hominem attacks, before any official confirmation or denial from Ricoh/Pentax.
08-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
  • Crazy.
  • But not TOO crazy ...
I give it a 8.7/10 for now. I may upgrade the score if we get a full-fledged member-against-member flame war, complete with ad hominem attacks, before any official confirmation or denial from Ricoh/Pentax.
:

I think this is mother of all crazy rumours. It's made from all different bits and pieces coming from different sources, different translations, hidden assumptions and forced conclusions, and it perfectly fits in the world of miscommunication and confusion now present within and between Pentax-Ricoh-their users.
It reminds me of the tower of Babel.

08-26-2013, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Double, double toil and trouble;

I'll add some style points because Asahiflex is the OP. He doesn't fool around with useless stuff. There must be some smoke here. Interchangeable viewfinders has been a theme for 18 months or so. D-LX 2012 Asahiflex 60th anniversary, etc.

FWIW, I think Ricoh is playing close to the vest; I think there's a LOT of good stuff coming; I think their game is to change the game and I think once they start making announcements and releasing stuff it's going to be one after another after another - Boom - Boom - BOOM - BOOM - Boom BOOM - Boom BOOM - like 4th of July Fireworks finale, except longer.

A dark Cave. In the middle, a Caldron boiling. Thunder.

Enter the three Witches.

1 WITCH. Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
2 WITCH. Thrice and once, the hedge-pig whin'd.
3 WITCH. Harpier cries:—'tis time! 'tis time!
1 WITCH. Round about the caldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.—
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
2 WITCH. Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
3 WITCH. Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingrediants of our caldron.
2 WITCH. Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-26-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Double, double toil and trouble;
08-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
  • Crazy.
  • Buttressed by reference to old and loved (but also crazy) Pentax products from yesteryear.

Hmm. I can't argue with most of your points there, but I'd take issue with the GXR being a "crazy" product. It was a flawed product, IMHO, because it didn't have a built-in viewfinder, which would have broadened its appeal, and it carried the Ricoh badge, which marginalised it more than if it had carried another maker's badge, even Pentax. Mind you, I can't imagine Canon or Nikon producing something like the GXR, although I could visualise Sony doing it, or even Samsung, if you want to take it further downmarket.

Is the purported A-series crazy? "Crazy like a fox", perhaps, although you seem to be saying "it's just so crazy, it might work". It's not that long ago, we used to lock up people who we thought were crazy, when they were just different. Anyway, who wants to be "normal"?

A flame war? Here? Surely you jest! Ad hominem is the new rational.
08-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Enter the three Witches.

1 WITCH. Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
2 WITCH. Thrice and once, the hedge-pig whin'd.
3 WITCH. Harpier cries:—'tis time! 'tis time!
1 WITCH. Round about the caldron go;
That brings back fond memories of school English classes and play readings! The three witches are presumably named Sony, Nikon and Canon, in the modern interpretation. Is Pentax the "brinded cat" or the "hedge-pig", I wonder?
08-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That brings back fond memories of school English classes and play readings! The three witches are presumably named Sony, Nikon and Canon, in the modern interpretation. Is Pentax the "brinded cat" or the "hedge-pig", I wonder?
They'd be more like Macduff, Malcolm and Siward.

I once had an orange tabby - and he chased the little ground hogs round and round the yard.

So we have the Ace mount, The King mount, the Queen mount and the three FA Sisters - oh my!

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. .
08-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

• Crazy.

The GXR is a VERY good platform. A friend of mine uses it with the M-mountor to mount his fantastic glass to it. A poor man's Leica, Pentax should have thought about such possibilities.
08-27-2013, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After reading this post, I decided to read some GXR reviews. Based on this the rumor is not that far-fetched at all.

Just imagine:
The best of two worlds - Pentax and Ricoh
FF mirrorless
K-mount module
A-mount module
etc.
etc.

It could be a game changer!
08-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If they put a Pentax badge on it, it will have a wider reach but still too complicated to be meaningful. Plus a need to explain people all new mount in addition to previous three.
I suspect the majority of people who would buy such a camera would buy a fairly basic package and not bother with either complications or a need for explanations of the mount. What they want to know is what it costs, what it does, perhaps some extra things you can add to it, etc.

Surely most people buying Pentaxes at the moment do so without needing or wanting to know more than a fraction of the existing complexity of the total Pentax "ecosystem" including legacy lenses, adapters, etc.

I have been using Pentax SLRs for about 46 years, I have owned lots of them including 5 dSLRs, and have a good range of lenses - but I have never used, and probably never seen, a Limited lens. Things that some people think are at the heart of "Pentax" can safely be ignored by others. The people who want explanations are surely in a small minority?
08-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #60
Veteran Member

• Crazy.

Chuckle! I can't decide whether it is a hoax, a misinterpretation of some other proposal, an attempt to shift opinions in favour of some less extreme announcement, a report of a genuine Ricoh/Pentax "blue skies" pilot project, or something else. (I suppose I should have added "or the truth" to that list).