Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Everyone complains about the no screw AF but what if they added it and it cost a lot more? Would you be willing to pay the extra for that? It's already a big lens too.
For one, I'm not interested in the whole SDM thingie... If USM/SW/SDM/HSM technology would really be faster, then I would (maybe) be interested, but untill now (and almost 20 years after first introduction) it still remains to be proven that it's faster than normal screwdrive AF technology. The only advantage I see in it is being quiter, but then again I can always MF if the situation asks for that...

Secondly, I don't think it would have made the price any steeper if they would have combined both screwdrive and SDM.

Thirdly, everything depends on what more it would be, but yes I would sure have paid a premium for it (if of course the optical quality was up to its expectations.)

And last but not least, I think Pentax may have very well shot at their own foot for not willing to include the screwdrive AF... At least for me it is settled: I was interested to have this lens and I already sold of my DA 16-45 in anticipation, but now the way is all open to the Sigma option...

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Again any news on when this is coming out?
It is said that it should be here this summer (maybe earlier?)

05-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
For one, I'm not interested in the whole SDM thingie...
But whether you are interested or not, the gradual switch over to SDM is inevitable to satisfy market demand. The same applies for Live View or P-TTL. Granted, it will not be a complete switch over like Canon, as lenses like the Pancake lens still works best with the screw drive AF.

QuoteQuote:
Secondly, I don't think it would have made the price any steeper if they would have combined both screwdrive and SDM.
Of course, it will be. You have to design two AF drive mechanism inside the same lens, and it is not a trivial job at all.

QuoteQuote:
Thirdly, everything depends on what more it would be, but yes I would sure have paid a premium for it (if of course the optical quality was up to its expectations.)
You may but most don't. Pentax already command a premium over 3rd party lens equivalent. But if the price differential becomes ridiculous, many would pick 3rd party lens instead.

QuoteQuote:
And last but not least, I think Pentax may have very well shot at their own foot for not willing to include the screwdrive AF... At least for me it is settled:
For any business decision, they win some, and they lose some.
Even if they include the screw drive AF, they will also lose some customers because of higher price. And not sure if Pentax intend to implement ring type SDM lens for this or future lenses, as that design would certainly preclude the chance of dual drive lens.
05-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
For one, I'm not interested in the whole SDM thingie... If USM/SW/SDM/HSM technology would really be faster, then I would (maybe) be interested, but untill now (and almost 20 years after first introduction) it still remains to be proven that it's faster than normal screwdrive AF technology. The only advantage I see in it is being quiter, but then again I can always MF if the situation asks for that...
SDM/USM etc. has the following advantages:
* silent (or near)
* faster for bigger lenses

For other lenses IMO it can improve things but not much. However, big glass like 600/4, 300/2.8 etc should have a major boost (note I wrote 'should').
05-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
SDM/USM etc. has the following advantages:
* silent (or near)
* faster for bigger lenses

For other lenses IMO it can improve things but not much. However, big glass like 600/4, 300/2.8 etc should have a major boost (note I wrote 'should').
it is common marketing talk to say "we designed sth new and it's better", but it is completely sth else to prove that on the field... Having used several USM and screwdrive designs just lead me to the one inevitable conclusion: USM (and the like) isn't any faster than screwdrive AF no matter how hard they shout...

I grant it that USM is probably cheaper to implement, but then again, why do they charge more for USM?

I work in sales, so I do know a little how to get sth sold a customer didn't ask for in the first place...

05-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
For any business decision, they win some, and they lose some.
Even if they include the screw drive AF, they will also lose some customers because of higher price. And not sure if Pentax intend to implement ring type SDM lens for this or future lenses, as that design would certainly preclude the chance of dual drive lens.
I would be really interested to see they numbers of SDM capable bodies sold vs non-SDM bodies. Pentax would seem to feel that the non-SDM bodies have passed their end of life. How often do you expect to replace your body anyways?
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #111
Veteran Member

It definitely would be more expensive with two AF systems.

Ok Lets say the price difference between one with both and one with just SDM is roughly 50$ this is totally a made up number but lets use it for comparison sake.

Say an average Pentax photography might have 3-5 Pentax lenses. At 50$ markup they would have spent 150-250$ more on their lenses because there still is the old system on it. For K100D users that would more than cover the price of upgrading to a K100D super and for older Pentax Body users it might not cover a full upgrade to a K10D or K20D but it would put it in the consideration area for many.

By sticking both AF systems the people that it would hurt the most is the new adopters or people who have SDM on their bodies because they would be paying more for nothing unless they had bodies they still used with the older systems.

I mean I DO understand your point but to just totally say Pentax is stupid for doing this is not looking at more than one side of the picture
05-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any news on this babe?

05-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Any news on this babe?

see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/27942-chasseur-d-images-t...nses-k20d.html
05-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #114
Forum Member

Re:

It says in that thread that the DA 17-70 is weather-sealed. So the only difference between that DA and the DA* is the screw AF?
05-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #115
Veteran Member

If you mean that the difference is that the DA*'s use the SDM AF motor while the rest of the DA's do not, then no, that's not correct. The DA 17-70 has the SDM motor in it. If you mean, however, that the DA*'s will still support the screw AF while the new SDM DA's won't, I don't think we'll know till more new DA SDM-based lenses come out.

I suspect that, even though the magazine says it's weather-sealed, the sealing is different from the DA*'s in the same way that the sealing on the K200 is different than on the K20. I also don't expect the 17-70 to have the same high build quality as the DA*'s should have.

[These opinions subject to change at any time without notice. Based on speculation, not actual knowledge/time spent with product]

Last edited by clawhammer; 05-21-2008 at 09:17 PM.
05-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #116

Well I just hope Pentax starts shipping this lens.. and results are great just like the 16-45mm
05-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #117
ogl
Banned

DON'T FORGET and REMEMBER:
The SDM in Pentax DA* lenses are the same like Canon micro USM.
Pentax has no real ring SDM. It's silent, but not very fast. Pentax made only micro-USM version.

We hope that DA17-70 will has the real ring USM version.
05-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
We hope that DA17-70 will has the real ring USM version.
not sure about the diffs here... but i am just hoping it is a GOOD lens and costs less than $500!

05-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #119
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
If you mean that the difference is that the DA*'s use the SDM AF motor while the rest of the DA's do not, then no, that's not correct. The DA 17-70 has the SDM motor in it. If you mean, however, that the DA*'s will still support the screw AF while the new SDM DA's won't, I don't think we'll know till more new DA SDM-based lenses come out.

I suspect that, even though the magazine says it's weather-sealed, the sealing is different from the DA*'s in the same way that the sealing on the K200 is different than on the K20. I also don't expect the 17-70 to have the same high build quality as the DA*'s should have.

[These opinions subject to change at any time without notice. Based on speculation, not actual knowledge/time spent with product]
I was just wondering why they badged it as a regular DA and not a DA* when the only difference between it and the new DA* are the loss of the old screw-drive Auto-focus. But I guess you already mentioned some of the potential differences which required the "DA" badging.
05-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff1101 Quote
I was just wondering why they badged it as a regular DA and not a DA* when the only difference between it and the new DA* are the loss of the old screw-drive Auto-focus. But I guess you already mentioned some of the potential differences which required the "DA" badging.
I see a couple reasons (though this is speculation of course)
  • constant f/4 lens has no reason to get a * except for Tele lens like 60-250 (IMO)
  • Mechanical construction is not comparable to a DA*
  • Weather sealing may not be as good as DA*
  • Performance probably isn't as good ad DA* either
  • DA* may imply dual AF