Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
i like that price point for SDM + constant f4!
yes, me too.

I'm really anxious to see the price tags for the upcoming lenses... 17-70/4, 60-250/4, 55/1.4

03-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have a Japanese friend who is a long time Pentax user and he tells me that there are already copies of the DA 17-70 going around, so looking at the pictures posted, I'm not at all surprised.

What's with some forum members here? Actually I find comments that it was stolen from the factory in Vietnam pretty childish and immature.

It is a well known fact that Pentax and other Japanese equipment makers do release new stuff in their domestic and geographical home markets well ahead of the other parts of the world. China is certainly a huge photo market and many Japanese brands have launched or announced or released their products there before anywhere else.

Just to give an example, my Japanese friend above already got his PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited early last week and photo samples from this lens have already appeared such as:

Weblog -insomnia-: DA 35mmF2.8 Macro Limited: A standard macro lens
03-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What's with some forum members here? Actually I find comments that it was stolen from the factory in Vietnam pretty childish and immature.
for sure. everyone knows the GOOD lenses are assembled in the Philippines. :-P just ribbin ya.
03-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
for sure. everyone knows the GOOD lenses are assembled in the Philippines. :-P just ribbin ya.
Ha, ha I thought they only made nice bodies and flashy stuff... no worries, I'm cool.

03-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ya doofs.... only DSLR and P&S bodies are made in the Philippines! Flashes are made in China (at least my 540 says so...) Hahaha...
03-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Up to now yes! All DA* have both SDM and screwdrive AF. My fear is that Pentax is not going to repeat that with this 17-70. I don't care for SDM and on my ist D, if the lens does not have screwdrive type AF, it will become a manual focus lens only...

IT won't be that long before they dump the screw drive---both in the lenses
and in the new bodies. Probably do what the did when they crippled the lens mount.---first bring out a 'low end' model with no screw andthen push it up the line. Look for that right after they complete conversion of all the lens family in production to SDM.

Perhaps marketing can write up a long explanation about how it had to go to permit SDM to work faster, etc., or for them to make an extra $5 per camera... and to sell a lot more lenses by converting all the screw drive lenses into manual focus models.
03-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

They won't dump the screw drive from the bodies for now. There are some expensive Limiteds that use it

03-25-2008, 02:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I have a Japanese friend who is a long time Pentax user and he tells me that there are already copies of the DA 17-70 going around, so looking at the pictures posted, I'm not at all surprised.

Just to give an example, my Japanese friend above already got his PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited early last week and photo samples from this lens have already appeared such as:

Such a great news!

I am looking forward to grab a copy of Da 35 macro in Taiwan as I am heading there on Friday.

The foreground bokeh from that link is superb! I am very tempted.

If Da 17-70 is already floating around, I might want to get some copies and sell Da* 16-50!!
03-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
wouldnt SDM have a larger focus ring that doesnt move when the lens focuses. That looks like a photoshop hack of a 16-45
I tend to agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
Isnt the 16-45 a single-cam design, while this lens looks like a dual-cam? Looks pretty legit to me!
Yes, it is single cam. But there's a couple of problems with the 17-70. The focusing ring throw is far too short - looks about half that of the 16-45 - maybe taken off the 18-55? Dual cam design also conflicts with the idea of it being IF, like it says on the front (I think) - unless it's a way of reducing wobble related to the single cam design. The top-view profile looks exactly the same as the 16-45. The 16-45 has "1:4(22)" on the front which this should also have. etc...
03-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
I tend to agree.
No, too many differences. I think this is the real thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Yes, it is single cam. But there's a couple of problems with the 17-70. The focusing ring throw is far too short - looks about half that of the 16-45 - maybe taken off the 18-55? Dual cam design also conflicts with the idea of it being IF, like it says on the front (I think) - unless it's a way of reducing wobble related to the single cam design. The top-view profile looks exactly the same as the 16-45. The 16-45 has "1:4(22)" on the front which this should also have. etc...
The DA*16-50/2.8 has double cam too and it is IF. The shorter focusing ring throw may be unpractical for MF, but it will ensure fast AF.

Wim

PS: the DA17-70 was shown at PIE2008. This picture was taken there, it looks the same:
Three new lenses

Last edited by Ishpuini; 03-25-2008 at 03:52 AM.
03-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
No, too many differences. I think this is the real thing.

The DA*16-50/2.8 has double cam too and it is IF. The shorter focusing ring throw may be unpractical for MF, but it will ensure fast AF.

Wim

PS: the DA17-70 was shown at PIE2008. This picture was taken there, it looks the same:
Three new lenses

That's right. There is also an image of three new lenses being on display here:

Three new pentax lenses on digitalcamera.jp

Last edited by MMVIII; 03-25-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typing errors
03-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteQuote:
It is a well known fact that Pentax and other Japanese equipment makers do release new stuff in their domestic and geographical home markets well ahead of the other parts of the world. China is certainly a huge photo market and many Japanese brands have launched or announced or released their products there before anywhere else.

It looks quite legit to me. and as for your Japanese friend.. I am quite jealous, as I am looking forward to this lens as being my everyday lens and cant wait to get one.
03-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

they will drop screwmount in the lenses for sure....

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
IT won't be that long before they dump the screw drive---both in the lenses
and in the new bodies. Probably do what the did when they crippled the lens mount.---first bring out a 'low end' model with no screw andthen push it up the line. Look for that right after they complete conversion of all the lens family in production to SDM.

Perhaps marketing can write up a long explanation about how it had to go to permit SDM to work faster, etc., or for them to make an extra $5 per camera... and to sell a lot more lenses by converting all the screw drive lenses into manual focus models.
But I have a feeling it won't be now....
There are still too many D, Ds, DL and K100D models around. The bodyscrew is probably to stay for the upper market models, exactly for the backwardscompataibity issue. A hunch it might even stay in all Pentax bodies.
But strictly SDM lenses?? Yes they are coming. First will probably an SDM-med DA18-250 as a standard zoom.

I don't know the 16-45 so I cannot compare, the only thing that MIGHT cast some doubt on the pictures is the green band which is very DA-like. One would think they'd have something else for DA SDM lenses like a red band....Also, given the numbert of people asking about the drive, I am surprised the OP of the pics did not anticipate by taking a picture of the actual mount

Last edited by janneman; 03-25-2008 at 07:24 AM.
03-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #29
JMS

I'm not sure I like it- focus ring throw is only 45 degrees.
03-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

So far the 16-45 is a great lens that they've tried to replace with the 16-50 which is completely hit or miss quality-wise not to mention the fact it's questionable whether it's IQ is as good as the 16-45 - Now this 17-70 must be as good as the 16-45 it replaces or it's a waste of time and money.