Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
From what I've seen up to now is exactly what Ricoh said they were doing (that was 2 years ago):

- Compact camera stuff will bear the Ricoh name
- "Professional" i.e. more advanced/higher end stuff will bear the Pentax name

So I'm confident we will hear some EXCITING NEWS in 7 days. The revamp of the DA Limiteds was just the tip of the iceberg, to make the system more homogenous in anticipation of the still-to-be-announced new series of lenses
In 7 days? hmmmm That's interesting.

08-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just bought a case of popcorn. Wanna grab a beer and watch with me?
Deal!
08-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That would be very cool! Everybody keeps saying that, but are there any sources for that rumor? I had assumed this DA ltd revamp WAS the new series of lenses. Do you believe they will be announcing things that aren't on the roadmap?
It's not a rumor, only a gut feeling. Because all we have seen so far are revamps of current products, which have been announced well ahead of the planned press meeting on 5 Sept. in Germany (IFA Berlin). Given the apparent fact that they always keep the best until the end...

My own expectation: no FF but a K-3 with a slew of new lenses. The current lens roadmap will be a very shortlived one

Of course, I could be wrong and I don't want to start a new rumor.
08-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That would be very cool! Everybody keeps saying that, but are there any sources for that rumor? I had assumed this DA ltd revamp WAS the new series of lenses. Do you believe they will be announcing things that aren't on the roadmap?
One change under Ricoh ownership that seems to be consistant so far is that leaks about new Pentax products are pretty well stopped up. Very little or no advanced indication of what or when something new is coming out. Aside from the general hints dropped by Ricoh execs, such as continued development of Q, K mount, and 645D lines. There were no predictions of the DA limited update that I saw, for example.

With the possible exception* of Mistral's rumor, which purports to have some connection to inside sources, I think everything else is down to wishful thinking or prediction based on where the technology is headed.

* If his rumor had stopped at the mirrorless with K adapters it would have been a lot more believable. The snap-on mirror box/viewfinder makes no sense from a design, manufacturing, mechanical stability, cost, or marketing sense. This is all my personal view, of course.

08-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #350
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not a rumor, only a gut feeling. Because all we have seen so far are revamps of current products, which have been announced well ahead of the planned press meeting on 5 Sept. in Germany (IFA Berlin). Given the apparent fact that they always keep the best until the end...

My own expectation: no FF but a K-3 with a slew of new lenses. The current lens roadmap will be a very shortlived one

Of course, I could be wrong and I don't want to start a new rumor.
Too late! The rumour has started!

Given IFA Berlin starting in September I think it's a given that if Pentax has a K-3 to announce it will be announced soon. However, maybe Pentax doesn't have a K-3 ready and so maybe we'll have no announcements.

A new range of lenses could either be those designed for a new sized sensor, a new registration distance mount or a combination of both OR it could just be re-releasing existing lenses with HD coatings.
08-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #351
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There may or may not be an announcement but if there are any new products in the pipeline that will be released in the next few months, now would be the time to make the announcement. The camera industry has created it's own monster with the annual Black Friday through Christmas pricing deals and most people wait to make purchases to take advantage of them. A potential customer looking to buy a new camera is lost for a few years if he buys something else. I'm not chomping at the bit for a FF but I would like to see some indication of what direction Ricoh is headed with the Pentax brand. So far, they have only made "improvements" to existing products and raised prices.
08-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I would like to see some indication of what direction Ricoh is headed with the Pentax brand
Grab some images of the new K bodies and the new visual branding of the DA Ltd.s. I see an evolution toward a more conservative, solid, sober, professional, value-based-on-performance-not-flash brand indentity (versus the K30 and versus the Green Band DA Ltd.s).

I see fewer Pentax products than the big two, but positioned between their offerings on a features basis, at a relatively attractive street price given the feature sets. I think I see Pentax positioned as the "instead of" choice rather than the "us, too" choice. Think Subaru with the new styling cues versus Toyota / Honda (espcially for the Ricoh brand specialty cameras like the GR).

Color doesn't contradict my thesis for the low-end bodies, especially if the higher end bodies and lenses are set up as aspirational choices. I believe we're going to look back and say this evolution was really quite sophisiticated and well thought out. We're right on the cusp this week. Literally this week.

We're looking at years of consistent brand building before the market of buyers has regained any confidence in what it means to be Pentax. Part of the angst we're showing in these posts is just uncertainty, built upon years of false starts and messaging changes. I believe once we know Pentax under Ricoh we will know it for a long time.

Patience is a virtue.

08-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hardest thing about Ricoh is the lack of rumors. Embargos are just tight now and we don't really know what is coming till it is released... Somehow this seems to feed the complainers in the forum.
08-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #354

I think that is key. There will be something new next week.
08-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #355
Veteran Member

Lets hope so... Last Photokina they saved revamps of the K-5 for last.
08-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #356
Banned

So I'm confident we will hear some EXCITING NEWS in 7 days. The revamp of the DA Limiteds was just the tip of the iceberg, to make the system more homogenous in anticipation of the still-to-be-announced new series of lenses
That is early. When the Silver lenses will be available in october, maybe then a new camera will come. So in Berlin announcing one is possible.

Two options:
- K-5IIs Silver Limited Edition
- K-3 in Silver and black.

No FF, since these are times for the aps-c lenses.
08-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #357

Is it a bad time to buy a K-5 IIs, as the price might fall with a K3 announcement?
08-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #358
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Is it a bad time to buy a K-5 IIs, as the price might fall with a K3 announcement?
It's a bad time to get any product because it will eventually be replaced.
08-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #359

Yes, I should know that by now!
08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
I'd say wait unless, the new camera completely blows away the K-5IIs. Post announcement usually results in more used cameras looking to be moved.