Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #406
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They can paint the whole lens Day-Glo orange if it will produce a superior image file -- well -- maybe not, but . . .

08-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #407
Marketplace Reseller

Ha, yes, I agree completely!

I myself wondered if there was such caterwauling when Pentax ditched the lovely "1980's boombox" styling of the F series (incidentally with "Ricoh" or "Canon" red being the primary color besides gray!) for the comparatively subdued all-gray of the F series. And during a period when Pentax still had some semblance of its earlier cachet as a major brand.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's interesting how the the green ring on Pentax lenses became the "iconic green ring" only this week. I'm still distraught about the demise of the "iconic Pentax grey plastic" of my F35-70 and the "iconic blue printed numbers" on my FA24-90. But this betrayal will become unbearable when Ricoh deprives us of the "iconic mint and pink leatherette" possible with the K-50!
08-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #408

I was planning on buying the 15mm limited lens next month and now I am pleased to see they improved it. This is great news for me because the timing is right. The only complaint on the lens that I have read is that it wasn't as sharp as you think it would be for how well it is made. So it looks to me, Pentax has improved the quality of the lens by changing the aperture blades and putting on their new HD crystal coating that is to be better than the SMC coating. I was already sold on the existing lens but now that they have made it better is a great deal. yes the price is about $50 more but good lenses come at a price.

You "Na Sayers", would you rather Pentax left the limited lenses alone? I am always trying to improve my photography so why wouldn't a company take the same attitude if they were into photography? This is great news and I can't wait to get the new lens!
08-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #409
Pentaxian

To be fair, in the UK it's been reported by ephotozine that they'll be priced fairly steeply:

'HD PENTAX-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited 639.99'

That's 260 more than I paid for my non-HD copy about half a year ago. Nearly a 70% price hike. Ouch doesn't quite cut it.

Then again, the DA21mm is now about the same price as the Ricoh GR, which makes the choice even easier. And call me stupid but I'd still pay 600 for a DA limited. People have been paying well north of that for the FA Ltds for a while now.

08-31-2013, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #410

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
To be fair, in the UK it's been reported by ephotozine that they'll be priced fairly steeply:

'HD PENTAX-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited 639.99'

That's 260 more than I paid for my non-HD copy about half a year ago. Nearly a 70% price hike. Ouch doesn't quite cut it.

Then again, the DA21mm is now about the same price as the Ricoh GR, which makes the choice even easier. And call me stupid but I'd still pay 600 for a DA limited. People have been paying well north of that for the FA Ltds for a while now.

Well RRP is one thing street another, I'd say though no doubt the prices will go up on all the "new" (cough-old repainted) lenses.
35mm f2.8 will probably be 450-500 odd street, nobody in their right mind would get 639.99 for that lens (nice as it is it's not realistic)

Mind you 450 is too much for that lens too.

From what I'm seeing I meet people who look at some of the Pentax bodies and are interested (K5II, K30 etc and the newer budget ones esp the good viewfinders are a selling point)
Then they look at the lens range. And whilst some of them might be of interest, they look at the prices (which are not great right now before these HD ones arrived), and they mostly lose interest, bar the odd buyer who digs around on ebay for some MF Pentax glass.

Ricoh are IMO not competent, and not good for Pentax, they are making the brand almost completely irrelevant to most people based purely on some ridiculous pricing of lenses. Pentax is not going to grow like this, it's going to slowly fade away into obscurity. As much as we all have a soft spot for Pentax, these recent "price hikes" disguised as new lenses (which are not new) is very revealing.
08-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #411
Pentaxian

You're right, It's all well and good that there are some of us who are willing to shell out for Pentax glass, but realistically the competitive advantage of the Limiteds is slipping away, if you want small you go for M4/3 or NEX, and as soon as NEX, Samsung or Fuji get a decent lens selection, there's not really any point going with Pentax other than for the OVF, because PDAF tracking sure isn't Pentax's forte.

For 500 you can get the 19/30/60 sigma set for NEX cameras, and they're supposed to be fantastic optically, as well as being very small.

But the limiteds are cute as buttons.
08-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #412
Site Supporter

Considering where Fujifilm is pricing their lenses, there's no point in complaining about Pentax prices.
08-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #413

The Limited's are excellent in most respects I'm very fond of the 70mm f2.4, wonderful lens in many ways. But it's not enough, we've a decent few lenses built up over time (and mostly before the huge price increases) In today's market it's increasingly unlikely that the limited lenses meet the needs of many outside a niche circle.
That's not enough to sustain Pentax however much we might love the ideas they have had over the years.

Limited can in many cases mean limited appeal, and with these prices people will just run to Canon and Nikon or the many ILC systems out there for smaller sizes.

As for Fujifilm 420 buys a 35mm f1.4, I hardly call that a blatant rip off price wise myself. 14mm f2.8 that's expensive, but might actually be cheaper than the 15mm ltd if these prices are right!

08-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #414
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Considering where Fujifilm is pricing their lenses, there's no point in complaining about Pentax prices.
How do you figure? X mount lenses are more competitively priced than the limteds.
08-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #415
Loyal Site Supporter

Why are we seeing all those fantastic Fuji shots that do indeed rival FF? The great Fuji lenses. They coupled the cameras with fine glass.
You want the same results with your K5, you can get it easily, just use the Ltd lenses and see the difference instantly. Is it that easy? Yes, it really is. Ltd lenses, though pricey, deliver the quality we all seek...but keep spending cash on lower grade lenses thinking we can "beat the system". Stop playing with your cash, bite the bullet and buy Ltd when you want the best. You may be poorer, but you will be a satisfied poorer!

Regards!
08-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #416

Lens quality can be very very subjective and I'm not just talking build quality (where the Limited's are very good) rendering and contrast are factors, it's not just sharpness/distortion/CA etc. Much more to it.

I've looked at Fuji images the 35mm f1.4 can be a bit edgy bokeh wise, on the other hand it can be ok. Have to be honest the 35mm f2.8 macro isn't the best lens for bokeh sharp it is but it's not great in that department either. Lots of areas to think about. I will say Fuji have the "Fuji colour look" that is hard to match from ANY maker it's probably the nicest tonality on the market right now from anyone.
08-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #417
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
How do you figure? X mount lenses are more competitively priced than the limteds.
Their 14 mm lens is $900. How is that a real bargain? Outside of what we would call a "kit zoom", their cheapest lens is around $500. You don't HAVE to spend that much on Pentax lenses.
08-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #418
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
The Limited's are excellent in most respects I'm very fond of the 70mm f2.4, wonderful lens in many ways. But it's not enough, we've a decent few lenses built up over time (and mostly before the huge price increases) In today's market it's increasingly unlikely that the limited lenses meet the needs of many outside a niche circle.
That's not enough to sustain Pentax however much we might love the ideas they have had over the years.

Limited can in many cases mean limited appeal, and with these prices people will just run to Canon and Nikon or the many ILC systems out there for smaller sizes.
Not with a DSLR Form factor and OVF. The Fuji X-Pro is a large camera.
The Limiteds achieve a very small footprint with beautiful rendering. They are quite unique to Pentax.
08-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #419
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
No they are not. Especially considering that street price will be always lower than the RRP.

What can be said is that very good lenses by Fuji, Olympus and Pentax are about the same. They fluctuate, of course, but price is similar. Few years ago Pentax lenses were undervalued — thanks to the incompetent Pentax USA who has helped denigrate the value of the Pentax brand in the West down into garbage brand.

Zeiss lenses are more expensive still, but are also much heavier — for those who love fast glass and extra weight. Leica lenses are absolutely brilliant, but are priced way above its competition. DA Limiteds are optically as good as Leica's Summarits, yet for the 30-40% of Summarit's prices. I think that is very good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520350-USA/Leica_11_644_50mm_f_2_5_Summarit_M_Manual.html
08-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #420

Just to muddy the water (like it needs it), I am shooting Pentax limited on Fuji X-E1 with adapter. I'm actually getting better performance (IMHO) on the fuji with them than my K-5. Best of both worlds.