Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Just to muddy the water (like it needs it), I am shooting Pentax limited on Fuji X-E1 with adapter. I'm actually getting better performance (IMHO) on the fuji with them than my K-5. Best of both worlds.
funny, I believe I'm seeing similar results with adapted Limited and M lenses on my OMD ME5....the math says im wrong tho

Last edited by Wired; 09-01-2013 at 08:06 AM.
08-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #422

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
funny, I believe I'm seeing similar results with adapted Limited and M lenses on my OMD ME5
I think part of it for me is since I'm doing manual focusing off the sensor (through the EVF) and that the Fuji doesn't have a Bayer filter, there is a sharpness that isn't there on my K-5. And of course the Fuji is wonderful for its color rendition.

Oh, and for what its worth, the "kit lens" in the Fuji is an 18 to 55 and f2.8 to 4.0. Its quality is outstanding. It isn't at all comparable to the basic kit lens for most dlsr's. Its not a fair comparison. They are coming out with a less expensive 16-50 f3.5-5.6 that might be comparable (but it still has OS in it).
08-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #423
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-5's PDAF can be really flaky at times. When I compare sharpness across systems, I always use the K-5's liveview CDAF or liveview magnified manual focus.
09-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Just to muddy the water (like it needs it), I am shooting Pentax limited on Fuji X-E1 with adapter. I'm actually getting better performance (IMHO) on the fuji with them than my K-5. Best of both worlds.
Same with ltds on almost any NEX. It's the K-5 thick AA filter. You'll proper results on the K-5IIs.

09-01-2013, 02:04 AM - 5 Likes   #425
Site Supporter

Seriously, if you have limited glass and you're not happy with your output, don't worry about the lens; the problem is on the other side of the camera.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 09-01-2013 at 04:29 AM.
09-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #426
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Seriously, if you have limited glass and you're not happy with your output, don't worry about the lens; the problem is on the other side of the camera.
I think that's for any glass Sandy. I've seen kit lens shots thy would blow ones mind.

09-01-2013, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #427
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Agree!
With a "Limited" you become UNlimited!
09-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #428
Pentaxian

I have to say, now that I've seen the new recommended prices for these lenses, I'm very worried that I will no longer be able to afford and limited lenses. I have wanted a 70mm for quite a while but the new pricing puts it way out of what I can afford, it's much higher than the original version.

09-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #429
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have to say, now that I've seen the new recommended prices for these lenses, I'm very worried that I will no longer be able to afford and limited lenses. I have wanted a 70mm for quite a while but the new pricing puts it way out of what I can afford, it's much higher than the original version.
I expressed a similar sentiment regard the FOURTH time I've felt that way about selling everything and just owning the FA Limiteds. A wise member suggested, "One at a time." Peanut butter sandwiches and $25 a week in an envelope. Buy when they're on sale.

That'd be what, 28 weeks for the 70? 7 months? Early April? Go for it!

Last edited by monochrome; 09-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.
09-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I expressed a similar sentiment regard the FOURTH time I've felt that way about selling everything and just owning the FA Limiteds. A wise member suggested, "One at a time. Peanut butter sandwiches and $25 a week in an envelope. Buy when they're on sale."

Now, don't think we haven't noticed the change in your signature block. Is 5th September 2013 answering your own question about when you get to say "Told ya so"?

Usual disclaimers apply, of course (we don't have miles here, anymore, and "kilometrage" doesn't have the same ring to it, so I won't say "YMMV").
09-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #431
Pentaxian

I expressed a similar sentiment regard the FOURTH time I've felt that way about selling everything and just owning the FA Limiteds. A wise member suggested, "One at a time. Peanut butter sandwiches and $25 a week in an envelope. Buy when they're on sale."

Just make a plan on what you want to use.

My lenses:
- DA 40mm in 2009
- DA*55mm in 2009
- FA*85 in 2010
- DA*300 in 2011
- Sigma 70-200 in 2011
- FA31mm in 2012
- DA12-24 in 2013

I did some more lens changes over time, but with a plan you can get what you want.
09-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #432
Pentaxian

No need to buy new and pay these insane prices. Keep looking in the Marketplace here, KEH, and on eBay. You'll find a DA 70 at a reasonable price, and anything else you want, and save yourself a bundle.

There are several DA 70s (in excellent/like new condition) right now at KEH for around $400-$450 each. KEH are good, and have a very conservative grading policy.
09-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #433
Site Supporter

I expressed a similar sentiment regard the FOURTH time I've felt that way about selling everything and just owning the FA Limiteds. A wise member suggested, "One at a time." Peanut butter sandwiches and $25 a week in an envelope. Buy when they're on sale.

Well, buy used is my mantra. The new ones obviously won't be available used for a little while, but there are often deals coming through the marketplace or else where where you can pick up DA limiteds on a budget.
09-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #434
Banned

I've just realised; the "new" HD DA21 Ltd is priced at $700. Brand new Ricoh GR camera with a 28mm equivalent APS-C lens is $796.
Comparing them because of the closest equivalent focal length, and "speed". Instead of buying a DA21, Ricoh gives a whole camera for an extra $96. Or, can we say, the lens inside the GR is worth $700, and the rest "worthless" $96?

One more observation: apparently HD Limiteds sport a "KAF" mount. Which says nothing really.
It would be interesting to see their pins, but I can't see the picture anywhere ... I'm just saying aloud that this update may not be just a coating and the blades update.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-02-2013 at 04:20 AM.
09-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #435
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I've just realised; the "new" HD DA21 Ltd is priced at $700. Brand new Ricoh GR camera with a 28mm equivalent APS-C lens is $796.
Comparing them because of the closes equivalent focal length. Instead of buying a DA21, Ricoh gives a whole camera for an extra $96.
Or, can we say the lens inside the GR is worth $700, and the rest merely $96?
I commented on this a couple of months ago (long before the "HD" version). Since the lens in the GR gets a lot of praise, the GR is really an interesting alternative to the DA21!