Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #466
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Uluru: In 2009 Pentax was already dissolved into Hoya.
Developing coatings and surpassing Pentax at it are two different things.
Ah, dear God, no. What I wanted to show is that if we use grey substance for a minute, we could notice all new revolutionary 'Pentax coatings' are coming from the 2008-2010, when Pentax was a subsidiary of one of the world's largest optics and protective coatings institution, one that fills up endless patents yearly and makes its living by making coatings up to customer's desires (links provided above). Like a big perfume factory at the disposal of Lady Gaga. Which is interesting, right?, considering that merely 2 years before, in 2006, none of Pentax's research was mentioned in a cross-industry research papers on optics protective coatings.
Now one would say all that happened miraculously and it is 'impossible that Pentax Cameras and Optics could have thrived under the impostor Hoya'?

09-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #467
Pentaxian

That's conjecture and speculation, and I'd appreciate if you'll stop using a condescending tone. What are you trying to say, anyway, that Pentax - known for its SMC and ghostless SMC well before the digital age - is less suited than Hoya for developing advanced coating?

The first Pentax lens using ABC was launched in 2008, 6 months after Pentax Corporation was dissolved into Hoya. Before the takeover, Pentax was researching silica aerogel nano-coatings (ABC being such a thing), see for example patent US 20060239886 A1. Also check patent US 8029871 B2, applied by Pentax Corporation but granted under Hoya Corporation. How many Hoya patents you saw were actually made by Pentax?
Your trademark registration from 2009 (again, when Pentax Corporation was already dissolved into Hoya) means nothing.

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-04-2013 at 04:02 PM.
09-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #468
Pentaxian

Well, as the DA 70mm seems to have leapt to being the most expensive DA ltd now, I think it's likely that the price of the new version will never be lower than the current one. As supplies of the current version dry up and the new, expensive version becomes the only ones available new, prices of second hand versions will rise in response to the new, higher price.

So I've decided to get a copy of the DA 70 now, while I can still afford it and while I can still easily get the version that matches the 35 and 21 I already have.

Thus I complete my tri of DA limited lenses.
09-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #469
Pentaxian

It's a very good lens, you'll like it.

09-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Well, as the DA 70mm seems to have leapt to being the most expensive DA ltd now, I think it's likely that the price of the new version will never be lower than the current one. As supplies of the current version dry up and the new, expensive version becomes the only ones available new, prices of second hand versions will rise in response to the new, higher price.

So I've decided to get a copy of the DA 70 now, while I can still afford it and while I can still easily get the version that matches the 35 and 21 I already have.

Thus I complete my tri of DA limited lenses.
More likely prices will fall on the newer ones as they are unrealistic.
09-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #471
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Corporations never lie?! True, he said: "Pentax will always exist on the product level." Now, what does that mean exactly? On the product level could just well be that the pentax products that have been produced up until now will always remain Pentax.
Sir, give it up. Your persistent expression of pessimism is an unbecoming, not to mention frustratingly tiresome, exercise in futility.

These HD lenses are yet to prove themselves, both in performance and in price, but they do look promising for new Ltd lens buyers. Existing DA Ltd owners may not be as excited, but it's hard to improve on such legendary lenses.

Ash.
09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now if we could see the FA LTDs updated with HD coatings.
09-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Now if we could see the FA LTDs updated with HD coatings.
I've suggested before that the FA limiteds are due an overhaul (I didn't expect this to be done for the DA limiteds). Existing FA ltd users may be aghast at the thought, but the fact is they're lacking when compared to some more modern designs (though not necessarily optically). If they added quick-shift, used updated coatings, rounded the aperture blades, that would be a fine start. I understand that if something could be done about the 77's wide open fringing that would also be beneficial.

09-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #474
Pentaxian

-and WR
09-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #475

I agree on updating the 3 FAs. I am not sure updating the lmts with WR is my preferred strategy. I have used my limiteds when travelling and have given them a hard time - my 77 fell apart in my hands and my 35 macro I had to clean fungus that emerged within days, thriving in the Indian monsoon rains. Much as I love the design and small size and all that of the limiteds, I really hope Pentax will make a couple of practical, prime workhorses with WR. In fact that is what I hope for, much more than FF or mirrorless this and that: 2-3 reasonably fast primes in the 0-55mm span ... it's not really much to ask for, is it? Keeping the weight down is more important to me than size, this should be possible by using a good quality plastic. I could even argue that Pentax needs this in their line up to make their strategic forces meet, weather resistance and small primes. As of now, I feel caught in the middle - my body is WR but if I want a lens with WR that can match the output of my current lenses. Unfortunately, for the past years it seems as if they see their strategic force as being multicoloured bodies.
09-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #476
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Keeping the weight down is more important to me than size, this should be possible by using a good quality plastic.
That scared me so much that you made the coffee come out of my nose.
09-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suspect you get 2 of 3 for primes.

Quick shift manual focus (esp. w/scale)
WR
Compact size
09-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I agree on updating the 3 FAs. I am not sure updating the lmts with WR is my preferred strategy. I have used my limiteds when travelling and have given them a hard time - my 77 fell apart in my hands and my 35 macro I had to clean fungus that emerged within days, thriving in the Indian monsoon rains. Much as I love the design and small size and all that of the limiteds, I really hope Pentax will make a couple of practical, prime workhorses with WR. In fact that is what I hope for, much more than FF or mirrorless this and that: 2-3 reasonably fast primes in the 0-55mm span ... it's not really much to ask for, is it? Keeping the weight down is more important to me than size, this should be possible by using a good quality plastic. I could even argue that Pentax needs this in their line up to make their strategic forces meet, weather resistance and small primes. As of now, I feel caught in the middle - my body is WR but if I want a lens with WR that can match the output of my current lenses. Unfortunately, for the past years it seems as if they see their strategic force as being multicoloured bodies.
Well, there is already a nice DA* 55....I do agree a wide, sealed prime is required.
Or heaven forbid, they might redesign the 16-50mm. However that is another discussion.
09-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #479

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That scared me so much that you made the coffee come out of my nose.

What I mean is: Let the Limiteds be what they are now - metal and all (and I do love them), and add a couple of workhorses that can stand a bit of abuse. If you don't like "plastic" then "composite material" perhaps. Whatever. I don't know what modern lenses are made of. What material is the DA 55 made of?

Last edited by H. Sapiens; 09-09-2013 at 05:14 AM.
09-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #480
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Apparently, ABC coating has bad wear characteristics, and can't be used for most important elements. Thus it is used for inside elements.
With good coating you can do this, for example:

PENTAX SP coating (Super Protect coating) test - YouTube

I'd expect this is what HD is supposed to be too. Anyone willing to try?
They also ad SP Coating to the lenses receiving Aero.