Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That scared me so much that you made the coffee come out of my nose.
I actually find this comment very interesting I think it's true that we love our Ltds partly because of their build quality, but perhaps such feel is also reproducible in plastic? I have no complaints about the build quality of my AF-S 85mm nikon and Tokina 11-16, despite the fact that they're plastic. It's a "solid hunk of plastic" and it really inspires confidence, almost zero tolerance just like the metal limiteds . It's almost like takumar reborn but in plastic skin. Maybe it's not possible with small lenses as the weight will feel insubstantial, but the DA 40 isn't heavy at all either.

For FA lenses this might be beneficial but I dont see any benefit in making the DAs plastic. If you could shove WR in there by making it plastic, I'm all ears.

09-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #482
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think it's true that we love our Ltds partly because of their build quality,
The build quality should also be reflected in consistence through various samples and the Vietnamese versions have a much greater sample variation than we saw in the Made In Japan versions.
09-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #483
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
The build quality should also be reflected in consistence through various samples and the Vietnamese versions have a much greater sample variation than we saw in the Made In Japan versions.
That, again is AFAIK unsubstantiated (not to say anything else) if you don't give any link or whatever.
That's the first time I read this as well.
09-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #484
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
These HD lenses are yet to prove themselves, both in performance and in price, but they do look promising for new Ltd lens buyers. Existing DA Ltd owners may not be as excited, but it's hard to improve on such legendary lenses.

Ash.
I have seen all new DA HD Limiteds in flesh, and honestly, they look ways better than the old ones.
They are stunning. Seeing is believing. If the new cameras get the same sophisticated uplift, like the GR has over all its brethren, even Leica will hide itself under the desk.
These things have been designed for a tactile emotive response, a feeling of great and *differentiating* quality. Can't imitate that with plastic (Fuji's or m4/3 lenses).

Last edited by Uluru; 09-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
09-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #485
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That, again is AFAIK unsubstantiated (not to say anything else) if you don't give any link or whatever.
That's the first time I read this as well.
It was even on this forum. You could just search. It's fairly all over. That's why the ads are marked "MIJ" for limiteds, with people asking for the info on them, too.

Are All FA77mm f1.8 LTDs Created Equal?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Post two:

QuoteQuote:
3. Assembled in Vietnam (most common item on e-bay, etc). Like Nr.2, but people complain about some sample variation. Who knows.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3080071#forum-post-39596531

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39593612

There are even hits on this very forum of those 3,800,000 returns from google.
09-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #486
Lens Buying Addict

One of Ricoh's strengths is manufacturing process control. Perhaps there were changes to the Limiteds that go deeper than the paint.

Need I say more?
09-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #487
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One of Ricoh's strengths is manufacturing process control. Perhaps there were changes to the Limiteds that go deeper than the paint.

Need I say more?
It remains to be seen. Unlike most, I am giving Ricoh a chance to prove itself.

However, one caveat is that I tried to speak to Ricoh directly about a year ago about Pentax and certain things about the company. Their response was rather flat:

"I'm sorry, but you have to deal directly with Pentax on those questions"

and they proceeded to give me Pentax's contact information. Stuff along the lines of QC, SDM, and some other things. It might have changed now, but they gave me the impression that Pentax was distinct and still running its own division, so I'm interested in seeing if this changes with the company/brand changes.
09-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #488
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I have seen all new DA HD Limiteds in flesh, and honestly, they look ways better than the old ones.
They are stunning. Seeing is believing. If the new cameras get the same sophisticated uplift, like the GR has over all its brethren, even Leica will hide itself under the desk.
These things have been designed for a tactile emotive response, a feeling of great and *differentiating* quality. Can't imitate that with plastic (Fuji's or m4/3 lenses).
That's interesting; I can't wait to see them myself.
Are you saying even the "tactile emotive response" was improved? Mechanical changes, not only the aspect? Or you're talking about Limiteds in general?

09-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #489
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
However, one caveat is that I tried to speak to Ricoh directly about a year ago about Pentax and certain things about the company. Their response was rather flat:
I guess all we can do is wait. And read tea leaves.
09-15-2013, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #490
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I guess all we can do is wait. And read tea leaves.
And while I waited I bought myself an SMC 21 Ltd. I prefer to drink the tea rather than reading the leaves
09-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #491
Pentaxian

I think it's true that we love our Ltds partly because of their build quality, but perhaps such feel is also reproducible in plastic?
Well, you could compare the DA 35 Ltd Macro with its optical twin,
the Tokina AF 35mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX.
09-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #492
Site Supporter

I think it's true that we love our Ltds partly because of their build quality, but perhaps such feel is also reproducible in plastic?
Actually no, it is not.
09-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #493
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They are stunning. Seeing is believing...
Wouldn't it be exaggerated to ask you what kind of differences you've felt or seen ?
Can you objectivise your fellings ?
09-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #494
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
Actually no, it is not.
"the build quality of the lens is on a very high level"

. . . from the Photozone review of the

Tokina AF 35mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Nikon) - Review / Test Report
09-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #495
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter, that thing is ugly.