Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #541

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
That's quite interesting. Wouldn't doubt it, in fact, as the body design is fairly simple and body seams seem to be sort of a tongue in groove type. For instance, the Nikon D7000 and Olympus E-5 seal in places in this manner, without sealing materials.
Sure, the Nikon magicians can do that, while Pentax needs profane things like rubber seals *bfg*
Oh, the referenced Leica page states
QuoteQuote:
Its top and base plates are machined from solid brass, and its full-metal body is manufactured in one piece from high-strength magnesium alloy. Specially designed rubber seals protect the camera body against dust and water spray.
Well, no magic super high precision from Solms, sorry :-)

09-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #542
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Why? The world has resoundingly moved on. Even film is harder to obtain now (along with questions of how environmentally sound film manufacturing and developing is).

There are still millions of film cams out there that hit the selling block for cheap on fleabay, for instance, so we'll all do ok.

Not everything needs to be preserved.
Not sure if I would argue that the manufacturing of digital cameras or the products that go with them are totally green, some of the more nasty stuff is in their manufacurer. The only advantage is that the pollution is made some where else so we can pretend to not contribute. Disclaimer I still shoot film and have my own darkroom but work in the envrionmental field. Most household cleaners are more hazardous than black and white chemicals especially if fixer is excluded. Just cause the pollutants are left some where else does not make the product clean or green. Both systems cause hazmat by products as does most of the stuff we buy.

Film is very easy to find on line which seems to be where most people are buying their digital cameras as well. How much harder is it ordering a couple of bricks of film from B&H than a Pentax K50 from them? In fact new emulsions have appeared, along with old favorites dissiapearing and even 110 has made a return. Most of the better film cameras at least those in formats larger than 35mm have increased in the last couple of years.

AS far as totally mechanical cameras out there still being made, the Hasselblad V system just went out last year, but Vivitar sells a K mount camera, Nikon sells the FM10, Fuji has several medium format ones, Rollei is talking about re-introducing the TLR, all large format cameras are totally mechancial or at least manual and there are more manufacturers and models now than thirty years ago and how many models does Holga and Lomography make now?

I thought I had a deal on a DA 15 a couple of days ago however the owner changed his mind. I will keep looking.
09-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #543
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
It's been said before in this thread, but if you're plodding around in inclement conditions, why do you have a prime lens mounted to your sensitive electronic camera anyway? Aren't the odds excellent that you'll want/need to change lenses at some point, thus exposing everything to the elements? WR seems mostly useful for zooms or macros, to me. Could they keep the DA35 Ltd tiny and light with all the internal seals (not to mention a motor)? Keep these wonderful lenses small, light, and somewhat affordable, please.
I currently have 3 WR bodies. Of course I only have the DA 300/4 prime.
09-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #544

Street prices are starting to come in and they're really bad in the UK for these "new" lenses:
Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Lens - Black - Only 639.00 - SRS Microsystems

That's a really crazy price for that lens v the older one.

Pentax K Mount Lenses - Digital SLR Camera Lenses - Page 2 - SRS Microsystems

The level of price increases is just dramatic and surely throws the warning flags up for new users. I can't really see people paying these prices they will just look at other makers and wander off there.
Ricoh are destroying K mount in an orgy of insane price increases.

Even the 40mm f2.8 gets a hefty price rise
Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Lens - Black - Only 439.00 - SRS Microsystems

09-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #545
Pentaxian

I'm glad I'm not living there (though I'm sure that from many other points of view it's a very nice country).
520 instead of 639 for the HD DA 35mm Limited, and 357 instead of 439 for the HD DA 40mm Limited, and Romania doesn't have particularly low prices. Let's face reality, you are being ripped off.
09-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Ricoh are destroying K mount in an orgy of insane price increases.
That's debatable.
Only reason people don't see the value in new lenses is because there are no updated and no new generation cameras that justify the use of such lenses. K5 was good, but an old song, and no one is excited into buying new lenses knowing that the camera tech is very old.
Let them release two really good brand new cameras, update a few problematic lenses (fix the perception problem), and people will finally see the value — as opposed to now, when they need to imagine it, and still be unsure.
09-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #547

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That's debatable.
Let them release two really good brand new cameras, update a few problematic lenses (fix the perception problem), and people will finally see the value as opposed to now, when they need to imagine it, and still be unsure.
K3 and K03?
09-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #548

That's debatable.
Only reason people don't see the value in new lenses is because there are no updated and no new generation cameras that justify the use of such lenses.
There is no value now at the current prices; there will be no value when Ricoh release a new Pentax camera. I can get Canon or Nikon lenses with lower prices, more features, and faster. The only reason to keep using Pentax is if you already have the lenses. I used to recommend Pentax to people I know because of the value a few years ago; I do the math, compare features, look at market share (which implies certain level of support from 3rd party). Recently, a friend of mine wants to get into photography -- I tell him to go either Nikon or Canon; it's a no brainer.

09-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #549
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrbrightside Quote
There is no value now at the current prices; there will be no value when Ricoh release a new Pentax camera. I can get Canon or Nikon lenses with lower prices, more features, and faster. The only reason to keep using Pentax is if you already have the lenses. I used to recommend Pentax to people I know because of the value a few years ago; I do the math, compare features, look at market share (which implies certain level of support from 3rd party). Recently, a friend of mine wants to get into photography -- I tell him to go either Nikon or Canon; it's a no brainer.

I don't see how you can claim this. I find my K-5 to be a little wearisome to carry around sometimes, but I do get image stabilization and weather sealing for my effort. Neither Canon nor Nikon offer as compact packages. And their plastic fantastics, which are priced nicely, don't benefit from stabilization. They're really not on par with the Limited lenses in terms of quality either. They make some fast lenses, but they're big, heavy, and contrary to what you're saying, expensive.
09-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #550
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I don't see how you can claim this. I find my K-5 to be a little wearisome to carry around sometimes, but I do get image stabilization and weather sealing for my effort. Neither Canon nor Nikon offer as compact packages. And their plastic fantastics, which are priced nicely, don't benefit from stabilization. They're really not on par with the Limited lenses in terms of quality either. They make some fast lenses, but they're big, heavy, and contrary to what you're saying, expensive.
Self-confirmation?
09-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #551
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yeah, digital camera (and its replacing every couple years) manufacturing is clearly an ecological achievement.

Come on...
As opposed to film? The sensor was changed for every shot.
09-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #552

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Self-confirmation?
Nope, just not blind.

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I don't see how you can claim this.
Pentax 35mm f/2.8: Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Series Autofocus 21730
Canon 35mm f/2.0 IS USM: Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM Standard Prime Lens 5178B002 B&H

Pentax 21mm f/3.2: Pentax Wide Angle SMCP-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited Series 21590 B&H
Canon 28mm f/2.8 IS USM (FF): Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens 5179B002 B&H Photo Video

Yes, I'll give Pentax the size advantage. But if I really care about size, I'll look at Sony -- which most likely my next camera if Sony release a compact full frame.
09-21-2013, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #553
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nope, just not blind.

Pentax 35mm f/2.8: Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Series Autofocus 21730
Canon 35mm f/2.0 IS USM: Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM Standard Prime Lens 5178B002 B&H

Pentax 21mm f/3.2: Pentax Wide Angle SMCP-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited Series 21590 B&H
Canon 28mm f/2.8 IS USM (FF): Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens 5179B002 B&H Photo Video

Yes, I'll give Pentax the size advantage. But if I really care about size, I'll look at Sony -- which most likely my next camera if Sony release a compact full frame.

Well, you've completely undercut your point. Neither the math nor the features are on your side. You get a heavier and more expensive kit, albeit with some extra speed -- and in the case of Canon much reduced image quality. Their sensors are flatly crumby compared to its competitors.

I used to have a sigma 30mm 1.4 (which is similar to your examples), and I sold it to get a 43mm Limited, and even at added cost, I have a better lighter kit, and I have no intention of going back to glass like that.

If you don't like Pentax or its offerings, fine. Go with Canon, but that doesn't mean other people don't have other priorities. The choice is not a "no brainer." Pentax still offers a very compact SLR, with the highest image quality, at a competitive price.
09-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #554
Site Supporter

That's debatable.
Only reason people don't see the value in new lenses is because there are no updated and no new generation cameras that justify the use of such lenses. K5 was good, but an old song, and no one is excited into buying new lenses knowing that the camera tech is very old.
Let them release two really good brand new cameras, update a few problematic lenses (fix the perception problem), and people will finally see the value — as opposed to now, when they need to imagine it, and still be unsure.
Good points.
When you put it that way Ricoh has no option but to release "really good brand new cameras".
Personally I am looking at a set of the green ring limiteds, going on sale in November, to keep with my K5iis and maybe a 7100 just for my sporting work if Ricoh does not deliver on the camera side.
For now we just have wait to see if the supposed benefits of these new lenses is justified.
09-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #555
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, just not blind.
The whole point of Pentax under Ricoh is to be an alternative to CanNikonY, not just another ho hum camera with a smaller market share. If you want a Canon with PENTAX printed on the flash hump you will be disappointed.

Sure - they're building old designs today - the DA40/2.8 Ltd. is what, 10 years old? - but we're about to see the new design philosophy in real products.

You compared. Very soon you'll need to learn how to contrast.