Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #541
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Pentax currently has value for people who want nothing other than the kit lenses and an excellent high-value body, so marketing a high-end body like this is going to be difficult unless they can make something incredible.
Yeah, right. I have no kit lens, but one DA* (the 60-250) and 3 Limiteds (21, 35, 70) - I'm tempted to make that 4.

09-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #542
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I envy you...and follow right behind.. I'm saving right now for 60-250 and one HD DA lens(15).
09-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #543
Banned

The one that really interests me is the DA40, even though I'm more enticed by the Voigtlaender 40 F2 due to the speed, even without the AF. It will be interesting to see the prelim tests and I can't imagine no one from the site, or behind the scenes isn't already testing.

I can imagine, however, that the difference is minor, if at all. I would think it akin more to a vendor change/material change as is common in industry.
09-23-2013, 10:44 AM - 3 Likes   #544
Veteran Member

I recommended a K-5 to my cousin's husband a couple of years ago. He ended up getting the Nikon D7000 with a kit zoom because he's brand-conscious. He takes vacation snapshots and like others was programmed to think that DSLR=quality. He's not curious enough about photography to investigate other brands and other platforms (i.e., mirrorless). Hasn't bought another lens since, so all of the supposed benefits of the Nikon ecosystem don't mean anything to him. If anything, the K-5 with a WR lens would have been a better choice since he's taken up surfing and is often on the beach.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the K-50 or K-500 with one of the WR zooms for someone wanting a high quality, adventure-ready camera. All this pixel peeping and high ISO shadow noise and dynamic range is nothing but gobblygook for most people.

09-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yeah, right. I have no kit lens, but one DA* (the 60-250) and 3 Limiteds (21, 35, 70) - I'm tempted to make that 4.
The Limiteds against Oly's offerings are losing their edge, and Oly EM5 is smaller, lighter and faster focusing. Don't get me wrong, I love the glass, but I find it hard to think why I'd recommend Pentax to someone who's looking for a system with high-end glass. The only thing I can think of is the ergonomics, the looks, maybe the build and finish of the limiteds and the fact that it's the only system that's really dedicated to APS-C with a mirror at the moment. Maybe old K-mount glass if they're into that? But you're probably better adapting with a Nex or whatever. DA* are fantastic, but in that price range they're not unique, other than for sealing. Though I've heard people return to Pentax for the 60-250 and 55, so maybe I got the wrong DA*s.

K-30/50/500 however, with WR kit lenses kills everything else on it's knees if you want a DSLR. I want to see how these new Limiteds fare, they certainly look the part and they play into the strengths I mentioned above. The pricing is insane, but hey, some of the Oly lenses are murderously expensive. Maybe Pentax can pull it off.
09-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #546
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
The other thing is the last FW releases have some sort of suppport for the new lens coatings, so I wonder if that means some rendering will be altered due to that.

I guess the only way to know is to compare on the old FW against new FW or tape the connections.
The new firmware it to optimize CDAF performance on HD Ltd, I doubt that has anything to do with the HD coating.
It might not even mean that HD Ltd has improved CDAF performance over SMC Ltd, maybe just that cameras without firmware update HD Ltd will perform worse than SMC Ltd. The update might just make the cameras recognize HD Ltd so it will use optimal CDAF.
09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #547
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The new firmware it to optimize CDAF performance on HD Ltd, I doubt that has anything to do with the HD coating.
It might not even mean that HD Ltd has improved CDAF performance over SMC Ltd, maybe just that cameras without firmware update HD Ltd will perform worse than SMC Ltd. The update might just make the cameras recognize HD Ltd so it will use optimal CDAF.
Lens upgrades are a delicate thing. It may also be a certain camera colour profile of the sorts that is needed for the best use of new lenses.

09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #548
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Lens upgrades are a delicate thing. It may also be a certain camera colour profile of the sorts that is needed for the best use of new lenses.
The coatings could be dramatic as well going from the SMC & SP to the HD.
09-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #549
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Limiteds against Oly's offerings are losing their edge, and Oly EM5 is smaller, lighter and faster focusing. Don't get me wrong, I love the glass, but I find it hard to think why I'd recommend Pentax to someone who's looking for a system with high-end glass. The only thing I can think of is the ergonomics, the looks, maybe the build and finish of the limiteds and the fact that it's the only system that's really dedicated to APS-C with a mirror at the moment.
EM5 is small, but it's a mirrorless cam (cannot be compared to dSLRs in this regard) and its lenses are no smaller than Pentax's. I don't quite understand the idea of having a battery grip on the EM5 - the ergonomics of it are no better with it. The K-5 family, OTOH, are very comfortable in the hand, obviously heavier/bulkier, but with the grip actually feels very easy to use. As an APS-C it's a fine spot between u4/3 and FF with quality Limited primes that not only are stunning in rendering and sharpness, but as also small and lightweight. I simply enjoy shooting with the K-5 with or without the grip paired with the FA or DA Limited lenses. And the results never cease to amaze me. That's how I can recommend the Pentax brand.
09-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Limiteds against Oly's offerings are losing their edge, and Oly EM5 is smaller, lighter and faster focusing. Don't get me wrong, I love the glass, but I find it hard to think why I'd recommend Pentax to someone who's looking for a system with high-end glass. The only thing I can think of is the ergonomics, the looks, maybe the build and finish of the limiteds and the fact that it's the only system that's really dedicated to APS-C with a mirror at the moment. Maybe old K-mount glass if they're into that? But you're probably better adapting with a Nex or whatever. DA* are fantastic, but in that price range they're not unique, other than for sealing. Though I've heard people return to Pentax for the 60-250 and 55, so maybe I got the wrong DA*s.

K-30/50/500 however, with WR kit lenses kills everything else on it's knees if you want a DSLR. I want to see how these new Limiteds fare, they certainly look the part and they play into the strengths I mentioned above. The pricing is insane, but hey, some of the Oly lenses are murderously expensive. Maybe Pentax can pull it off.
As I was saying earlier (many pages ago), I think these lenses are overpriced, with the exception potentially of the 15 and the 70 (the two lenses I have that are honestly making me consider buying a new Pentax body). As I said then, I think they will be solid performers.

To echo your point, If you look at the Oly lenses (e.g., the 18mm, and the 45mm as counterpoints to the 21mm and 70mm), they look great, are metal bodied, have great optics, quick-shift, are light and compact, are much faster, and are now much cheaper than the Pentax equivalent. Not all of them are murderously expensive (although that may be the quote of the day!) , but all are high quality. Interestingly, similarly to Pentax, none of the Oly offerings are WR...

In terms of the WR, while I love my 18-135mm, it is a compromise lens. If Pentax made (and got to market!) a F4 17-70mm WR, and a sealed 55-300, both with DC motors, I think they would have a solid upgrade path for enthusiasts.

Anyway, rant over, back to the waiting for tangible news on something new
09-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #551
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
In terms of the WR, while I love my 18-135mm, it is a compromise lens. If Pentax made (and got to market!) a F4 17-70mm WR, and a sealed 55-300, both with DC motors, I think they would have a solid upgrade path for enthusiasts.
Don't forget that Pentax really pushes the primes more than most companies, to the point that this is a reason to get into Pentax over other companies. Yet they don't have a truly fast 35 (the 2.4 is ok, but not fast), and the FA35 is pretty insanely priced, if you can get one (1,000+ Euros now in Germany). The 31 could fit that bill, to some extent.

The bigger thing is that Pentax has a confused line up; there is no WR fast 35. They are dedicated to APSc, or so we think and see, but they only made a 55 as a fast, WR lens. Few are using that as their "normal" lens.

Pentax needs to produce a WR, fast 35 for "normal" FL shooters. And finally produce a fast 24, one of the "classic" focal lengths that has resurged in popularity in the last few years. Preferably WR, to compete with the street shooting cams, like the X100, RX1, X2, and so on.

If Pentax had any vision to do so, it can make itself the choice of streetshooters, war shooters, correspondents, desert, etc. With sealed versions of those lenses. The hipsters would buy in like crazy if they found out they could shoot in the rain.
09-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #552
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget that Pentax really pushes the primes more than most companies, to the point that this is a reason to get into Pentax over other companies. Yet they don't have a truly fast 35 (the 2.4 is ok, but not fast), and the FA35 is pretty insanely priced, if you can get one (1,000+ Euros now in Germany). The 31 could fit that bill, to some extent.

The bigger thing is that Pentax has a confused line up; there is no WR fast 35. They are dedicated to APSc, or so we think and see, but they only made a 55 as a fast, WR lens. Few are using that as their "normal" lens.

Pentax needs to produce a WR, fast 35 for "normal" FL shooters. And finally produce a fast 24, one of the "classic" focal lengths that has resurged in popularity in the last few years. Preferably WR, to compete with the street shooting cams, like the X100, RX1, X2, and so on.

If Pentax had any vision to do so, it can make itself the choice of streetshooters, war shooters, correspondents, desert, etc. With sealed versions of those lenses. The hipsters would buy in like crazy if they found out they could shoot in the rain.
Pentax doesn't do fast lenses anymore, because they prefer to build smaller lenses and make use of high ISO capabilities of modern sensors. I agree with you though, I prefer fast lenses over high ISO's. And the extra light isn't the only advantage of fast lenses.
09-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #553
Pentaxian

+100 here, Why no current WR prime if they really push weather sealing and their primes specially at sough after FL's?
09-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #554
Pentaxian

DA* 55mm f/1.4, DA* 200mm f/2.8, DA* 300mm f/4
09-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #555
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DA* 55mm f/1.4, DA* 200mm f/2.8, DA* 300mm f/4
Those are not "normal" focal lengths by any stretch. At best, as mentioned, the 55 is a slight telephoto. Pentax is missing two of the major "classic" focal lengths: the 35 and 50.