Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
The Limiteds against Oly's offerings are losing their edge, and Oly EM5 is smaller, lighter and faster focusing. Don't get me wrong, I love the glass, but I find it hard to think why I'd recommend Pentax to someone who's looking for a system with high-end glass. The only thing I can think of is the ergonomics, the looks, maybe the build and finish of the limiteds and the fact that it's the only system that's really dedicated to APS-C with a mirror at the moment. Maybe old K-mount glass if they're into that? But you're probably better adapting with a Nex or whatever. DA* are fantastic, but in that price range they're not unique, other than for sealing. Though I've heard people return to Pentax for the 60-250 and 55, so maybe I got the wrong DA*s.

K-30/50/500 however, with WR kit lenses kills everything else on it's knees if you want a DSLR. I want to see how these new Limiteds fare, they certainly look the part and they play into the strengths I mentioned above. The pricing is insane, but hey, some of the Oly lenses are murderously expensive. Maybe Pentax can pull it off.
As I was saying earlier (many pages ago), I think these lenses are overpriced, with the exception potentially of the 15 and the 70 (the two lenses I have that are honestly making me consider buying a new Pentax body). As I said then, I think they will be solid performers.

To echo your point, If you look at the Oly lenses (e.g., the 18mm, and the 45mm as counterpoints to the 21mm and 70mm), they look great, are metal bodied, have great optics, quick-shift, are light and compact, are much faster, and are now much cheaper than the Pentax equivalent. Not all of them are murderously expensive (although that may be the quote of the day!) , but all are high quality. Interestingly, similarly to Pentax, none of the Oly offerings are WR...

In terms of the WR, while I love my 18-135mm, it is a compromise lens. If Pentax made (and got to market!) a F4 17-70mm WR, and a sealed 55-300, both with DC motors, I think they would have a solid upgrade path for enthusiasts.

Anyway, rant over, back to the waiting for tangible news on something new

09-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #572
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
In terms of the WR, while I love my 18-135mm, it is a compromise lens. If Pentax made (and got to market!) a F4 17-70mm WR, and a sealed 55-300, both with DC motors, I think they would have a solid upgrade path for enthusiasts.
Don't forget that Pentax really pushes the primes more than most companies, to the point that this is a reason to get into Pentax over other companies. Yet they don't have a truly fast 35 (the 2.4 is ok, but not fast), and the FA35 is pretty insanely priced, if you can get one (1,000+ Euros now in Germany). The 31 could fit that bill, to some extent.

The bigger thing is that Pentax has a confused line up; there is no WR fast 35. They are dedicated to APSc, or so we think and see, but they only made a 55 as a fast, WR lens. Few are using that as their "normal" lens.

Pentax needs to produce a WR, fast 35 for "normal" FL shooters. And finally produce a fast 24, one of the "classic" focal lengths that has resurged in popularity in the last few years. Preferably WR, to compete with the street shooting cams, like the X100, RX1, X2, and so on.

If Pentax had any vision to do so, it can make itself the choice of streetshooters, war shooters, correspondents, desert, etc. With sealed versions of those lenses. The hipsters would buy in like crazy if they found out they could shoot in the rain.
09-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #573
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Don't forget that Pentax really pushes the primes more than most companies, to the point that this is a reason to get into Pentax over other companies. Yet they don't have a truly fast 35 (the 2.4 is ok, but not fast), and the FA35 is pretty insanely priced, if you can get one (1,000+ Euros now in Germany). The 31 could fit that bill, to some extent.

The bigger thing is that Pentax has a confused line up; there is no WR fast 35. They are dedicated to APSc, or so we think and see, but they only made a 55 as a fast, WR lens. Few are using that as their "normal" lens.

Pentax needs to produce a WR, fast 35 for "normal" FL shooters. And finally produce a fast 24, one of the "classic" focal lengths that has resurged in popularity in the last few years. Preferably WR, to compete with the street shooting cams, like the X100, RX1, X2, and so on.

If Pentax had any vision to do so, it can make itself the choice of streetshooters, war shooters, correspondents, desert, etc. With sealed versions of those lenses. The hipsters would buy in like crazy if they found out they could shoot in the rain.
Pentax doesn't do fast lenses anymore, because they prefer to build smaller lenses and make use of high ISO capabilities of modern sensors. I agree with you though, I prefer fast lenses over high ISO's. And the extra light isn't the only advantage of fast lenses.
09-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #574
Pentaxian

+100 here, Why no current WR prime if they really push weather sealing and their primes specially at sough after FL's?

09-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #575
Pentaxian

DA* 55mm f/1.4, DA* 200mm f/2.8, DA* 300mm f/4
09-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #576
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DA* 55mm f/1.4, DA* 200mm f/2.8, DA* 300mm f/4
Those are not "normal" focal lengths by any stretch. At best, as mentioned, the 55 is a slight telephoto. Pentax is missing two of the major "classic" focal lengths: the 35 and 50.
09-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #577
Site Supporter

Personally, I'm not bothered by the lack of a WR 35 mm or any wider lens. To my mind, a weather resistant zoom makes much more sense than a prime as it can obviate the need to change lenses in inclement weather. I would exclude telephotos from this as activities such as birding often take place in less than ideal conditions. I'm not saying there isn't a market for a WR 35mm, I'm merely suggesting that it might not be as large as some people seem to think. If you really want weather resistance, Pentax has it covered from 16mm to 300mm in its DA* range.
09-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #578
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Personally, I'm not bothered by the lack of a WR 35 mm or any wider lens. To my mind, a weather resistant zoom makes much more sense than a prime as it can obviate the need to change lenses in inclement weather. I would exclude telephotos from this as activities such as birding often take place in less than ideal conditions. I'm not saying there isn't a market for a WR 35mm, I'm merely suggesting that it might not be as large as some people seem to think. If you really want weather resistance, Pentax has it covered from 16mm to 300mm in its DA* range.
The thinking here is somewhat as if there is a vacuum.

Some don't want zooms. This is established already, and Pentax, once again, prides itself on being a company built on its line of primes. Those are the ones people will get.

If prime demand wasn't huge, then Fuji would not have had $150,000,000 in revenue in the year after the introduction of the x100.

People demand primes for the best quality and fewest compromises possible. Every shoot I go to, people are using primes, whether it be astro shoots, runways in NYC, concerts, etc.

Not to mention, the DA/SDM lenses have a very poor reputaiton, plus their pricing is scaring people away from Pentax altogether. To not seal their primes, which are overpriced to begin with, also suggests shortcutting and compromise. To seal a 55 that is designed for APSc (so it has an 83mm FL) looks confused, at best. To have a 35 that is slow and expensive and to not even have a 24 (no, the slow 21 is not a replacement), all send out very bad signals of the people who were at the helm inside Pentax.

09-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #579
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are not "normal" focal lengths by any stretch. At best, as mentioned, the 55 is a slight telephoto. Pentax is missing two of the major "classic" focal lengths: the 35 and 50.
I would not mind havind DA*24/2... To companie my DA55
09-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #580
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax has too many lens series in production, and it makes it difficult for them to make the lens series complete.
If they cut down lens series to at least half of them, they probably end up with a better lens line up for the future. But if they continue do the same on FF lenses as they done on APS-C lenses they could end up with 15+ different lens series.

DA L (3 zooms)
DA L WR (2 zooms)
DA (3 primes, 5 zooms)
DA Limited (5 primes)
DA WR (3 zooms)
DA AW (1 prime)
DA* (3 zooms, 3 primes)
FA (not really sure which of them still in production)
FA Limited (3 primes)
D FA (1 prime)
D FA WR (1 prime)

It's probably enough with 3-4 lens series in each of APS-C and FF.
DA L
DA WR
DA Limited
DA AW
D FA WR
D FA Limited
D FA AW

The added cost of WR is not much, so Pentax has a lot to win to make all "standard" lenses with simplified weather sealing. That might be the easiest way of making a distinctive difference from competition, and might make a big difference on Pentax image as a brand. If they can make cheap DA L zooms with WR they can easily do it on other lenses too without much added cost.

AW weather sealing is more complex and add more cost, so it should only be used on high performance lenses, and will probably mainly be used on FF lenses in the future.
09-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #581
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I disagree, I thing the 35mm WR would really sell the pentax format. The DA 16-50 and its friends aren't exactly cheap. At the moment our only option for cheap WR is the "crummy" 18-55 50-200 kitlenses, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Spec / value wise the DA 35 is a lost cause vs the Nikon AFS 35 (Nikon 35 is a very good lens), so I'd love to see a DA L 35 WR and DA L 50 WR, to make it a real selling point. I would definitely buy the 35 if prices are kept sane. Think about it: it is cheap, performs great, has wide aperture, easy to carry, virtually weightless, fully weather sealed, and its shake reduced! No other manufacturer can claim that.

I think DA 35m macro is a prime candidate for WR but seeing that we already have it redone in HD I lose hope of ever seeing it in WR flavor anytime soon

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-24-2013 at 08:40 AM.
09-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #582
Pentaxian

Aww, yeah, a WR prime between 24mm and 35mm would be awesome. WR, HD, silent screw drive AF, maybe internal focus and DoF scales.. would sell great, even if its not as compact as the Pentax primes usually are
09-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #583
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Aww, yeah, a WR prime between 24mm and 35mm would be awesome. WR, HD, silent screw drive AF, maybe internal focus and DoF scales.. would sell great, even if its not as compact as the Pentax primes usually are
I'd buy a 24-28mm WR prime in a hearbeat
09-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #584
Veteran Member

Weather seal the limited zoom on the roadmap!
09-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #585
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Weather seal the limited zoom on the roadmap!
I think the Limited Zoom on the roadmap [EDIT: This isn't right, as been pointed out below. I was referring to the DA* (approx.) 17~70, which is now only DA] isn't Limited any more, which might mean it is Weather Resistant instead.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-25-2013 at 06:14 AM.