Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #691
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Imo the key to enjoying a DA Lim is to shoot with no strap. It feels different when the camera can be operated with one hand and you can move it anywhere without restrictions.
In a studio I already shoot with no strap. In the field I prefer to shoot with just a wrist strap.

I still can't think why that would make me want to put one on my camera! I like zooms, except for special purposes, because they are flexible and avoid lens-changes. And I use my camera in bad weather, so I want WR.

I find it suspicious that no one is telling me why I would want to put one on my camera!

10-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #692
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
When you want sharper photos. Simple as that. The * zooms are great in terms of image quality, but the Limiteds are a definite step up.
But I don't do the sort of photography where I would put such a prime lens on my camera, even if it is sharper than my zooms.

They would be competing with the DA 12-24mm f/4, the DA 17-70mm f/4, and the DA* 60-250mm f/4. The first two of these may be upgraded, if the roadmap is implemented.

All of those print sharply at A3+ and beyond. Obviously they deal with 1400 x 1050 projection, and web galleries, with ease.
10-09-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #693
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I find it suspicious that no one is telling me why I would want to put one on my camera!
No need for them.

I have 3 primes: DA 15/35/70. I dont use them much except when I know I need to carry something light. I have found the colors to be more contrasty with the 35/70 but that can be added in PP. The DA 15 is somewhat special since I dont use wide angle that often, it is more likely that I would carry that one around for its small size rather than carrying a wide angle zoom. But if I shot a lot of wide angles I would have gone with a 12-24 instead.

Zooms are more practical and for the most part, if you choose your zooms carefully, they are good enough.
10-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #694
Pentaxian

All of those print sharply at A3+ and beyond.
Understanding the limiteds starts with understanding that sharpness is only one of many qualities of a good lens.

But I admit that I was also considering the DA12-24 when I bought the DA15. Very different lenses, but I was interested in both but couldn't afford both. If we disregard pixie dust and even things like contrast and rendering for a while: When trying out the DA12-24 I found one surprising little weakness: It's minimum focusing distance of 30 cm!

10-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #695
Pentaxian

In a studio I already shoot with no strap. In the field I prefer to shoot with just a wrist strap.

I still can't think why that would make me want to put one on my camera! I like zooms, except for special purposes, because they are flexible and avoid lens-changes. And I use my camera in bad weather, so I want WR.

I started photography in the Spotmatic era and for 15 years I used only single focal length lenses (now called primes) and then the next twenty years shooting only with zooms and now I use mostly primes with only the FE 17-28 from my film days and the 70-200 2.8. My wife has a couple of zooms for when I need them. My most recently lens purchase was the 70DA Limited. I love the lens, it is on my camera most of the time now and I also like it on my film camera. I know why I love to use primes and why I am looking at trading my 17-28 for a 15DA Limited. I know of no reason why YOU or anyone else would want to put them on YOUR camera. Lens choices are individuual choices based on many factors. When I had to shoot wearing a chemical suit and gas mask and had no pockets and could not carry a bag, I used a 18-200 on my D200 because for me that worked out best, my coworker used a 17-55 on a D2X. What you want to use or perfer to use is your choice. No one who perfers a prime needs to argue to convince you that you should use one. And why would we let alone why should we?
10-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #696
Veteran Member

Actually exept for starburst (and maybe flare?) DA 12-24 performs better than the DA 15.

I personally find that when I shoot primes, I become much more disciplined in composing, looking at subject, and observing how the light works on the subject. That alone make me prefer primes whenever I can afford to use it.

Also like I said previously, shooting strapless with DA 40 and a grip. Camera weight is distributed top to bottom instead of front to back. I just find it very ergonomic / comfortable. It's similar to enjoying a drive in the highway with one hand as opposed to two hands (dangerous I know, same as carrying a $1000 equipment with no strap)

You're right though that in regards to performance, modern zoom lenses are no worse than DA limiteds (except maybe regarding flare, most DA lims are invincible to flare)

FA limited is another story though as their rendering in the right light is quite special imo

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/235400-new-hd-da-limit...#ixzz2hEWeVQ8F
10-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #697
Pentaxian

Actually exept for starburst (and maybe flare?) DA 12-24 performs better than the DA 15.
And of course the DA15 has much less CA than the DA12-24.

But the primary reason I chose the DA15 when I had to choose between these very different lenses (I really could have used the wide end of the 12-24) was size and weight. I carry my K-5 with me to work every day, and the 15/35/70 combo is great when you want to reduce weight. Also, as mentioned, the poor minimum focusing distance of the 12-24 is a serious drawback, IMHO.

10-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #698
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
And of course the DA15 has much less CA than the DA12-24.

But the primary reason I chose the DA15 when I had to choose between these very different lenses (I really could have used the wide end of the 12-24) was size and weight. I carry my K-5 with me to work every day, and the 15/35/70 combo is great when you want to reduce weight. Also, as mentioned, the poor minimum focusing distance of the 12-24 is a serious drawback, IMHO.
I use Lightroom, and it can make CA pretty well disappear. (And distortion).

Where I must have lightness, I use my Q7 system.
10-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #699
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have 8-16mm, 12-24, 17-50, 20-40, 28-70 and 60-250mm zooms. I also have the 15mm, 31mm and 77mm Limiteds along with the DA 50mm f1.8. Sometimes it's fun to just fit a prime lens and explore the angles: I find that zooms make me inclined to be a bit lazy. Also, the 31 and 77 are faster than any of my zooms. But, I can't swear that I absolutely need them. I'm not out to convince anyone that they need them either, I just know that I love having them, and they don't take up much space in my bag. Also, they are incredibly well made, and hold their value well.
10-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #700
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

But that's the whole point of having an interchangeable lenses system, isn't it? You can choose the lens you want.

Some people prefer zooms, others primes. And all for different reasons. For me it depends greatly on the situation. Sometimes small and light, sometimes big and flexible.
10-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #701
Pentaxian

I use Lightroom, and it can make CA pretty well disappear. (And distortion).
I use Aperture and used to remove CA from my DA16-45 there. "Used to" because that lens hasn't been used in a while now...

QuoteQuote:
Where I must have lightness, I use my Q7 system.
That would be too much of a compromise for me. But when I'm out running, I use my iPhone whenever I find something I'd like to take a picture of - a Q would be too bulky then :-)

I think the conclusion is YMMV. As always :-)
10-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #702
Veteran Member

One more thing is also subject shyness. I think people feel more comfortable looking into DA 40 than the DA* 16-50.

Also looking at its size youd never think that DA 70 is a tele lens.Good for stealth

YMMV like everyone said, but imho everyone who owns a pentax owes it to themselves to at least try a da limited. Buy used and sell if you dont like it.

Anddd if you're an IR shooter, practically all DA lims are hotspotless.
http://www.kolarivision.com/lenshotspot.html

DA 40 isn't in that list but I've used it with excellent performance with IR.
10-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #703
Veteran Member

Lens Hotspot Performance Database | Kolari Vision Infrared

I sent my K-7 off to be converted for IR a week or two ago. I was expecting to use my DA 12-24mm f/4 a lot with it. But according to that list it is a poor performer!

Food for thought. Thanks!
10-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
When you want sharper photos. Simple as that. The * zooms are great in terms of image quality, but the Limiteds are a definite step up.
My Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 C is as sharp as my DA limiteds, even wide open, more so corner to corner stopped down just a little. The attraction of the limiteds for me is their size and out of focus rendering. But I am yet to be persuaded that the new HD versions are not overpriced for what you get. Looking forward to comparisons with the smc limiteds.
10-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #705
Veteran Member

One more thing is also subject shyness. I think people feel more comfortable looking into DA 40 than the DA* 16-50.

Also looking at its size youd never think that DA 70 is a tele lens.Good for stealth

YMMV like everyone said, but imho everyone who owns a pentax owes it to themselves to at least try a da limited. Buy used and sell if you dont like it.

Lens Hotspot Performance Database | Kolari Vision Infrared

Interesting discussion. I pretty well only use primes (DA Limited and legacy primes) which is the reason for using Pentax, imho. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll get the combination of sharpness and excellent OOF areas come bokeh at wide apertures with a zoom, or with not an average zoom. A high proportion of my photography comes down to using the DA 15mm at f8 and the DA 70mm at f2.8 often or at a max of f4. So what I'd benefit from most is a second body, at a guess. I do have a zoom or two. In foul weather I use the DA* 16-50mm but I haven't found its performance matches the Limited primes and after two visit to the repair shop I don't really trust it anyway. Perhaps I should try the xx-70mm Pentax lens rumoured to be in the offing. I've nothing against zooms and if I were a Nikon user I'm sure I'd be using them instead of primes. However, for me a zoom has to be sealed at least minimally (to keep out dust if nothing else), with a motor, reasonably fast or plain fast to focus, reliable and with good optics. Some Pentax zooms match some of those criteria but from what I've seen and read none except probably the 60-250mm matches all of them. So I'll stick with the primes for now. Three Limiteds and a good body makes an almost unbeatable travel kit too, imho.