Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #796
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ibk Quote
Just found this - direct comparison of SMC and HD coatings. Enjoy!
Well in this example the HD does flare a lot less... But the charm of the 15 was in the stars. I guess the SMC DA 15 ltd only got more unique now.

11-04-2013, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #797
Veteran Member

I was just over at Rice High's Pentax Blog and he's going off about the large size of the word Ricoh on the HD lens boxes as opposed to the tiny "Pentax"

It's starting to look like Ricoh plan to transfer brand cred's to their own name by sucking what's left of the Pentax name dry. Also, on both the lens boxes and the camera box the name Ricoh is as far away from the word Pentax as is possible on the same surface plain.

Recognition to Rice High for the photo's:

11-04-2013, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #798
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really don't care about the name on my camera, or the name of the owner of the brand. I'd love a digital Miranda, Revue, Zenit, Agfa, Topcon or even Petri with K-mount
11-04-2013, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh for Pete's sake.

11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #800
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh for Pete's sake.
I'm starting to think I'm a closet troll.
11-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #801
Veteran Member

I guess if it's a choice between:

A) Pentax? Aren't they going out of business?
B) Ricoh? Don't they make copiers?

I'll chose B.
11-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #802
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm starting to think I'm a closet troll.
"K" is on the box three times - once covering 1/4 of the area. Pentax and K-3 are on the box twice, including a large picture of a Pentax camera. There's a small RICOH emblazoned on the upper left corner of the box where your eye never goes. Same for the lenses.

(I'm starting to feel like a closet fanboi )

11-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #803
Pentaxian

That blog is disgusting, its owner now complains about the silliest things. For Pete's sake, he was saying that the Limiteds were completely ruined for not having serials starting with triple 0, and the HD DAs were signalling the death of the Pentax brand despite being clearly labelled "Pentax".

Thanks to bossa, now I'm going to puke.
11-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I predict that in 5 years we will be thinking "Ricoh" as we used to think "Pentax". Pentax will still be the brand, but Ricoh will be the company. That is the reality already but we have not yet made the mental adjustment required to think of Ricoh as "our" company, yet. But it will happen, Ricoh will gradually (or maybe not gradually) transition our mind set to that.

Pentax the cute, quirky company we loved (for some reason) is gone. Ricoh has picked up the baton and I think will go far with it.

Worrying about what name is on the packaging is downright silly. Don't we have new cameras to play with? (Mine says "out for delivery" )
11-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #805
Veteran Member

It's starting to look like Ricoh plan to transfer brand cred's to their own name by sucking what's left of the Pentax name dry.
If Ricoh's recent actions are defined as sucking the Pentax name dry, keep on sucking Ricoh!

In my brief time as a Pentaxian, I have come to love the Pentax name and history. But even as Ricoh is asserting their status as owners of that brand, they have said plainly that the Pentax name will continue!

The way I see it, placing "Ricoh" on the box/camera back is their way of staking their reputation on Pentax products. What more could we ask of a corporate owner?
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #806
Veteran Member

I was just over at Rice High's Pentax Blog and he's going off about the large size of the word Ricoh on the HD lens boxes as opposed to the tiny "Pentax"

It's starting to look like Ricoh plan to transfer brand cred's to their own name by sucking what's left of the Pentax name dry. Also, on both the lens boxes and the camera box the name Ricoh is as far away from the word Pentax as is possible on the same surface plain.

Recognition to Rice High for the photo's:

I really don't see the issue with it. The company is Ricoh and they are making better and better cameras for our lenses. That's plenty plus in my books. If they want to label Ricoh on the box by all means.
11-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #807
Dan
Pentaxian

Ricoh!! Ftw!!!

As far as I am concerned Ricoh has every right to put their name on their gear. Until recently I was quite down on Pentax, but lately Ricoh has me feeling very upbeat. The K-3 looks like a superb camera with some features that are new to Pentax (such as excellent AF tracking) together with other features that are new to the industry (the clever use of SR to simulate an AA filter where needed, while allowing for for optimum sharpness when the AA filter is not needed). The new limted zoom also looks great. And by all accounts there is a lot good new stuff to come. Times are good, thanks to RICOH!

I am old enough to remember Ricoh as a first-rate camera company. This is not at all like the situation between Minolta and Sony. First, Ricoh has a long history in the camera business, whereas Sony did not. Secondly, Sony expunged all reference to Minolta on their products, whereas Ricoh proudly flaunts the Pentax marque. I think Ricoh is striking just the right balance with their branding.

Ricoh deserves our praise. I am happy to own gear with the Ricoh logo alongside the Pentax branding. I humbly suggest that some of you quit whining and embrace the goodness that is Ricoh.

Dan (newly converted Ricoh "fanboy")
11-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #808
Veteran Member

I'll suggest that Ricoh will indeed make more and more decent Pentax gear, all the while announcing their presence in larger and larger fonts on the box . This is a great tactic because, not only will it eventually "convert" the Pentax diehards, it will build a springboard for Ricoh to push it's "hi tech" products, particularly when the age of the DSLR is on it's last legs so to speak.

Last edited by bossa; 11-04-2013 at 07:08 PM.
11-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #809
Veteran Member

And one more thing: I'm really tried of people making the comment that Pentax has always been a brand name apart from a couple of years. Pentax always had it's own plant and equipment, engineering teams and business structure that gave it an identity. I'm pretty certain that the Ricoh camera division is now in charge of the Pentax "brand" and, whilst I recognize they have done well this year, they were NEVER Pentax by a long shot. A lot depends on what engineers/designers remain from Pentax, and how much clout they have in the organization, as to whether there will be a continuation of the philosophy that made Pentax my original camera choice way back in 1975.
11-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #810
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot depends on what engineers/designers remain from Pentax, and how much clout they have in the organization, as to whether there will be a continuation of the philosophy that made Pentax my original camera choice way back in 1975.
There won't be. Your Pentax - my Pentax - really went away in the mid 90's.

Ricoh has already taken a number of the Pentax projects (K3 and 645DII, for instance) off the development calendar to make them better. For that reason (possibly that reason alone) there is time and room for Ricoh to work on a FF camera.

Pentax hadn't effed it up yet.