Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
I doubt it's possible to make a WR ltd lens. A ltd lens is a small and compact lens and if it should be made WR it would become to big to be a real Pentax ltd lens. Correct me if I'm wrong
The DFA 100 Macro WR goes against this theory. Not only does it have WR and a distinctly "Limited-like" look, but is in fact slightly smaller than its non-WR predecessor with the same optical design.

Adding a few small rubber O-rings inside the gaps really should add nothing to the size.

Last edited by Cannikin; 08-27-2013 at 10:01 PM.
08-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
So these new lenses hare only marked "Pentax" on the name ring. You know, as are about 95% of Pentax lenses ever made.

Yeesh, talk about a tempest in a teapot.
It's basically only manual focus lenses that only got Pentax ingraved on the front. Almost all Pentax AF lenses has "Pentax + focal length" clearly marked outside on the barrel. Not that it matters much, but it does not hurt if the lens is easily identified by users not familiar with Pentax.
08-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #123

Red is brandbook color for Pentax and Ricoh. So red is OK.
08-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's basically only manual focus lenses that only got Pentax ingraved on the front. Almost all Pentax AF lenses has "Pentax + focal length" clearly marked outside on the barrel. Not that it matters much, but it does not hurt if the lens is easily identified by users not familiar with Pentax.
Er - not entirely sure what other lenses, but the DA 21 definitely shows Pentax DA 21 F3.2 Limited (Ltd is in red) on the front. Think DA 70 also. It might be rare, but I really liked seeing it on the front.

08-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So if there is ever a Ricoh mirrorless K-mount what brand lens should they use with that camera? What label should they put on that lens?
08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So if there is ever a Ricoh mirrorless K-mount what brand lens should they use with that camera? What label should they put on that lens?
Pentaxicoh.
08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Er - not entirely sure what other lenses, but the DA 21 definitely shows Pentax DA 21 F3.2 Limited (Ltd is in red) on the front. Think DA 70 also. It might be rare, but I really liked seeing it on the front.
Yes, there are some AF lenses with Pentax both on the front and the barrel, but it's very few AF lenses with Pentax only on the front. I think FA43 might be the only one.

08-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Yes, there are some AF lenses with Pentax both on the front and the barrel, but it's very few AF lenses with Pentax only on the front. I think FA43 might be the only one.
Makes me want to have one now. Damn you.
08-27-2013, 02:54 PM - 5 Likes   #129
Veteran Member

Agreed

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I like the new look a lot better than the old one.

Looks a lot classier.

I was never a fan of the particular colour green that Pentax used for many lens rings. Often it was combined with a red (e.g., for a "Limited" label) which clashed. Many lenses added more colours. The worst example I can think of is the DA* 55/1.4. It featured
  1. two hues of red (mount indicator and "SDM" label),
  2. two hues of green (lens ring and "AF" label),
  3. blue ("ft" scale), and
  4. worst of all: gold.
It looks like a fourteen year old wondered what other cool colour they could add (with complete disregard what is already there).

The new lens designs are excellent (not only in comparison).

However, I understand those who are hungry for more.

The K-30 -> K-50 upgrade and the new lens designs are more or less cosmetic upgrades that you would expect from an established player (i.e., Canikon). It would seem that Pentax has catching up to do and hence people can be excused to expect more dramatic news.

I'm hopeful, though, that the next Pentax APS-C camera will be a cracker camera and will potentially stir up the competition as well.

P.S.: One should not expect a big impact of the rounded aperture blades on bokeh. Extreme bokeh highlights will look rounder, but the main bokeh characteristics (smooth vs nervous OOF areas) won't be affected.
I agree with you.. the new lenses look sleek. I always hated that PENTAX "logo" on the lens (mainly due to the clumsy font) and the HD coatings and rounded aperture blades will definitely be an improvement. Whose to say that these lenses have not been changed optically as well using low dispersal glass etc?

The fact that they have not announced new versions of the FA limiteds leads me to think that those lenses are being redesigned to improve purple fringing AND adding quick shift. They may be phasing them out but I very much doubt that. I would not be surprised that all current FF capable lenses are being revamped with name and livery changes DA*200 = HD*200 and DA*300 = HD*300 etc.

It's quite strange to me that many of the posters here are whinging about how the lenses look rather than how they might function better. Really sick of whingers to be frank.

Last edited by bossa; 08-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.
08-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #130
Site Supporter

Updated lenses, new flashes, all still proudly branded Pentax I might add.....is the flood starting?
08-27-2013, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #131
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The fact that they have not announced new versions of the FA limiteds leads me to think that those lenses are being redesigned to improve purple fringing AND adding quick shift. They may be phasing them out but I very much doubt that. I would not be surprised that all current FF capable lenses are being revamped with name and livery changes DA*200 = HD*200 and DA*300 = HD*300 etc.
Why would they do that, they are excellent in purple fringing already!

(hopefully also new SDM II)
08-27-2013, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Updated lenses, new flashes, all still proudly branded Pentax I might add.....is the flood starting?
Boom . . Boom . . . BOOM . . . BOOM . . . Boom BOOM . . . Boom BOOM.
08-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Boom . . Boom . . . BOOM . . . BOOM . . .
"Gonna shoot you right down..."

Sorry, couldn't resist that, but it looks like some here are trying to do that, already.
08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #134

Ricoh Imaging introduces five new HD Pentax DA Limited lenses!!!

08-27-2013, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

Damn it, the silver DA15..... So sexy!