Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh I see where this is going. It is a clever ploy.

smc Pentax
HD Pentax
HD Ready Pentax
HD Ricoh Pentax
Full HD Ricoh

08-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
green looks better to me. BUT, red could look a lot better with silver
Silver lens stop looking super awesome when you mount them on a black body. Then it just looks weird.

Even though, silver lens on a silver body looks really great
08-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this super exciting news?: No.
Does Pentax need to come out with something new (besides the Ricoh GR) for the long waiting Pentax faithful?: Yes

But I'd argue this is significant news in that the HD coating has been used for the first time on lenses that more than few people may actually buy and use. Along with the also not exciting K-500 and K-50 releases, the re-release of these lenses seem like Pentax is resetting its lineup for what will come next. In other words, the new lenses, if and when they ever come, will likely be HD coated as well so the DA primes needed to be updated to fit with that. Next up to improve: SDM, flash system, AF system, etc.
08-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Unexpected upgrade to some already very good lenses. I look forward to seeing a direct comparison of the same scene shot with the old and new versions. A round aperture and red paint shouldn't increase manufacturing costs but the modified coating might, and of course there's the new product markup.

I'm surprised that they didn't add WR, but that may have required too much engineering work. There's more to be done for WR than slapping a red gasket on the mount. Focus ring, dof scale, and other moving parts all need to be sealed.

08-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #50
Inactive Account

I have to say that I agree with a comment made on the photorumors link that its a bit ridiculous to replace the name SMC with HD. SMC is know for 40+ years while HD is just another abbreviation that has no connection with Pentax. They should have named it SMC HD.
08-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #51
JPT
Pentaxian

If they have the new improved coating, why keep making lenses with the old one? It may not be a huge upgrade, but it's a good sign that they've done it.

I hope the silver versions are not 50% more expensive than the black ones, like they are currently.
08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Pentax shows Ltd's as a luxury item. Red definitely has a more luxurious look than green.
The new design looks really awesome to me!
Maybe with silver, but with blank it just doesn't look like a Pentax lens at all.

Most of all I'm bothered by the removal of the metal Pentax logo. That was a super nice touch to the Limited series.

08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
They probably had to make a compromise, so they could only remove one Pentax label.
The silver Pentax label on the base is removed and replaced by aperture/focal length.
Slowly, but steadily, Pentax is removed everywhere.
08-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Slowly, but steadily, Pentax is removed everywhere.
Sad but true.
Even though..
Ricoh can remove Pentax logo from a lens, but it can't remove Pentax name from our minds and hearts.
08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They probably had to make a compromise, so they could only remove one Pentax label.
The silver Pentax label on the base is removed and replaced by aperture/focal length.
That change of PENTAX to 2.8/35 is ugly to say the least.

Not sure how much my DA limited series worth now....
08-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #56
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm happy to see Ricoh investing in an upgrade to these great lenses. I also agree that a more impressive change that would have me consider them would be to add WR. This is such a great differentiator, I don't understand why Ricoh is not pushing it harder.

One question - will rounded blades still have the beautiful starbursts we've grown accustomed to?
08-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 70mm Ltd becomes a lot more interesting with rounded aperture blades - downside is that I am guessing it will also become a lot more expensive as well.

They sort of did this with the DFA Macro but with WR and not HD coating. It seems strange that you wouldn't take the opportunity to also add WR to these ltds where possible - given how much value that adds not just to the lenses themselves but also to WR bodies. I imagine these ltd lenses are a big draw but they aren't WR like all Pentax's bodies are now. Even just a WR ring on the mount would be better than nothing.

reengineering to add proper WR might compromise size but TBH I think that's probably worth it as long as it doesn't make the lenses huge.
08-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #58

I hope this design is only a mockup. It looks a kind of cold and sterile, like for a medical environment.
Also it seems they removed all the small details (like the yellow metres scale / Pentax Logo) to make it cheaper to produce, it kind of loses its limited touch.
08-27-2013, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

"We don't have a reason, but let's complain anyway"
It writes Pentax, just above the aperture ring. There's no doubt about the product brand used.
08-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snakeisthestuff Quote
I hope this design is only a mockup. It looks a kind of cold and sterile, like for a medical environment.
Also it seems they removed all the small details (like the yellow metres scale / Pentax Logo) to make it cheaper to produce, it kind of loses its limited touch.
I actually quite like the cleaner look. Makes it appear more like a precision engineered optic. I also quite like the red ring as well.

I suspect that this was a pre-Ricoh idea anyway.