Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
It is also worth noting that after the endless rumors and threads of a FF camera, what Pentoh releases is updated versions of APS-C lenses.
It makes sense; they barely have the resources to update the DA lenses because behind the scene they're working hard on a FF lens line

08-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The look doesn't really matter to me. In fact, the new look is much cleaner without the logo and with the blue and yellow distance scale sobered.

What I'm most interested though is if there will be any measurable differences between old and new version. Which will directly translate in if this is a bogus upgrade or a real big deal.
08-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I can guarantee the differences will be minimal, but I'll be betting on folks like yourself that need to upgrade ASAP to get the new lenses. Then we'll have a spike in fleabay and forum marketplace listings so I could get a DA40.
Folks like me... who still shoot film? Sadly, we won't be rushing out to buy them. The 40 and the 70 maybe, as they are more or less 135 compatible. I just think they're going to be nice for the APS-C crowd.
08-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the look. No complaints from this fella.

08-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #95
Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to some side-by-side performance comparisons. Should be interesting.
08-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #96
Pentaxian

I like the new look a lot better than the old one.

Looks a lot classier.

I was never a fan of the particular colour green that Pentax used for many lens rings. Often it was combined with a red (e.g., for a "Limited" label) which clashed. Many lenses added more colours. The worst example I can think of is the DA* 55/1.4. It featured
  1. two hues of red (mount indicator and "SDM" label),
  2. two hues of green (lens ring and "AF" label),
  3. blue ("ft" scale), and
  4. worst of all: gold.
It looks like a fourteen year old wondered what other cool colour they could add (with complete disregard what is already there).

The new lens designs are excellent (not only in comparison).

However, I understand those who are hungry for more.

The K-30 -> K-50 upgrade and the new lens designs are more or less cosmetic upgrades that you would expect from an established player (i.e., Canikon). It would seem that Pentax has catching up to do and hence people can be excused to expect more dramatic news.

I'm hopeful, though, that the next Pentax APS-C camera will be a cracker camera and will potentially stir up the competition as well.

P.S.: One should not expect a big impact of the rounded aperture blades on bokeh. Extreme bokeh highlights will look rounder, but the main bokeh characteristics (smooth vs nervous OOF areas) won't be affected.
08-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I like the new look a lot better than the old one.

Looks a lot classier.

I was never a fan of the particular colour green that Pentax used for many lens rings. Often it was combined with a red (e.g., for a "Limited" label) which clashed. Many lenses added more colours. The worst example I can think of is the DA* 55/1.4. It featured
  1. two hues of red (mount indicator and "SDM" label),
  2. two hues of green (lens ring and "AF" label),
  3. blue ("ft" scale), and
  4. worst of all: gold.
It looks like a fourteen year old wondered what other cool colour they could add (with complete disregard what is already there).

The new lens designs are excellent (not only in comparison).
Sorry Class A - I'm one of those who absolutely love the mismash of colours on the DA*55 F1.4... it looks so sexy to me...

These look great to me too. Love the FL/Aperture info at the top of the lens. The red stripe makes sense. Limited was always shown as red on the front of the lens on the DA 21, 40, and 70.

08-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #98

with WR i would have started buying :S
08-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #99
Pentaxian

The source of the red ring of death:

08-27-2013, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

Oh, so they find it quite normal to paste RICOH on their own lenses, but very sneaky remove PENTAX from the DA lenses.

See, it's happening slowly. Next step will be pasting RICOH on the (ex)Pentax lenses.
08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

I thought the same thing! Though I personally strongly prefer the green ring, the red ring Limiteds look great considered on their own. But come on, Ricoh, let's be honest: red ring=Canon L. The green was classy and distinctive!

Anyway, all of that is secondary. I welcome this (seemingly legit) rumor. One thing, though--the prices can't go up, they really can't.
08-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #102

I have 4 of the 5 DA Limited lenses, every one except for DA 35 macro. What does this announcement do for the resale value of my lenses?

Although that new DA 35 macro looks damn sexy in red and the white lettering. Very clean, simple design. Would love to add that to my arsenal if the price isn't crazy high.
08-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #103

They don't look that Canon-L style, so I would be fine. And it's a good occasion to compare the new coating to the previous, so...
08-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #104
Pentaxian

They're nowhere like Canon L lenses, size should be a hint
It's not like Canon has monopoly over all the nuances of red; besides a certain famous dot, both Pentax and Ricoh writes their names in red.

About the coatings comparison, they had at Photokina the usual "uncoated vs. conventional multicoating vs. HD" display, and the difference was there. I'm not sure if the multilayer coating was the latest SMC, though.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/uploads/files/1/p603/IMGP0306.JPG
08-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
They don't look that Canon-L style, so I would be fine. And it's a good occasion to compare the new coating to the previous, so...
Yep - they look nothing like Canon L lenses, so I think it's distinctive enough. They look almost closer to what the Sony Zeiss lenses are - very clean and sharp.