Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I actually see the rounded aperture blades as a negative thing in the case of the 15. I'm pretty sure the straight blades are responsible for the starburst effect that the 15 is so famous for. And it's not like you're going to get much bokeh with that lens anyway, so rounded blades are kind of superfluous.
Star bursts are the kitsch IMO and I hate the damned things.

08-27-2013, 10:56 PM - 3 Likes   #182
Veteran Member

Never heard so many whiners in my life. Pentax "refresh" the DA limiteds and 50% of the feedback is negative garbage about red rings, starbursts and questions regarding the value of rounded aperture blades. Surely you don't think this is the last announcement do you?
08-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I for one am interested in the new 40 limited.. looks really good in silver too

The new HD coating surely has to be an advantage...

08-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #184
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Never heard so many whiners in my life. Pentax "refresh" the DA limiteds and 50% of the feedback is negative garbage about red rings, starbursts and questions regarding the value of rounded aperture blades. Surely you don't think this is the last announcement do you?
the only thing I'd see as a con is the price tags on those lenses. I cant believe the DA 35 is at the same price as the 70

08-27-2013, 11:09 PM - 3 Likes   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Talk about red rings may be rather silly, but really, talking about starbursts/rounded blades is "garbage"?

This is something that directly and obviously affects the final image, you know the whole point of photography. One look at the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html thread obviously shows that many, many people are quite enamored of the effect, and contributes directly to the popularity of the lens.

Just because you hate it, doesn't mean that the opinions and concerns of those who disagree with you are "garbage".
08-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #186
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote

Anyway, these are the thoughts of one recently-converted Pentaxian who feels the Limiteds slipping out of reach. More could be said, but it's tiresome typing on this tablet and it's almost 2am. :-)
I was working overtime, doing extra work too for many months, patiently to be able to get 3 limiteds, and paid them in full at Aussie prices, which matched those from USA today, plus a conversion rate. So when I read crying about today's prices, it makes me sick, yes.

Anyway, I wanted to show that often we read here how Ricoh neglects Pentax brand; however, how Pentax users denigrate Pentax brand a priori to a third rate, canal barge class contender, want it to bleed losses and yet at the same time accept anything big brands do — and switch to their camps to spend even more — is hardly admitted part of any discussion.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-28-2013 at 12:30 AM.
08-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #187
Veteran Member

In the discussion on the Pentax Facebook page on the DA ltd revamp, there is talk about the HD DA 15 ltd having less aperture blades then the SMC one. There is talk about it being downgraded from 9 to 7 aperture blades. Any truth in that?!?

Last edited by Clavius; 08-28-2013 at 12:45 AM.
08-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Talk about red rings may be rather silly,
Depends... Many wanted the red ring to be made out of rubber and be placed on the end of the lends that connects to the body, to keep out moist and dust.

but really, talking about starbursts/rounded blades is "garbage"?

This is something that directly and obviously affects the final image, you know the whole point of photography. One look at the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html thread obviously shows that many, many people are quite enamored of the effect, and contributes directly to the popularity of the lens.
Can't agree more, these features are about optics and directly link to the outcome of the image. Although... To play devils advocate... A starburst can be added in PP within 2 seconds.
08-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #189
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
In the discussion on the Pentax Facebook page on the DA ltd revamp, there is talk about the HD DA 15 ltd having less aperture blades then the SMC one. Any truth in that?!?
You mean, just three?
08-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You mean, just three?
There is talk about it being downgraded from 9 to 7 aperture blades.
08-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Talk about red rings may be rather silly, but really, talking about starbursts/rounded blades is "garbage"?

Just because you hate it, doesn't mean that the opinions and concerns of those who disagree with you are "garbage".
If it's that important then grab a star-burst filter.
08-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #192
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
There is talk about it being downgraded from 9 to 7 aperture blades.
I believe the DA 15/4 has always had 7 aperture blades.
08-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #193
Veteran Member

All the spec's I've read say that all of these lenses are upgraded to 9 blade "round" apertures. Just how round they are will be learn.

Last edited by bossa; 08-28-2013 at 01:34 AM.
08-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #194
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Is it safe to say that a Silver K-5IIs is about to be announced?
YES!

For those who can't wait there are still some Silver Limited lenses old series available around the globe. The 40mm, 70mm and 21mm where in Silver with the introduction off the K-5 Silver Limited Edition.

08-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #195
Pentaxian

Wow, so many naggy negative negativists, lol. The silver with the red ring looks great, and the blades plus the new coating equals a nice, surprise upgrade- thanks Ricoh! If I needed another Limited lens, I'd snap one of these HD Ltd's up- in silver. Oh yeah.