Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
All the spec's I've read say that all of these lenses are upgraded to 9 blad "round" apertures. Just how round they are will be learn.
DA15 and DA21 still use 7 blades, and DA40, DA70 and DA35 still use 9 blades. It's only the shape of the blades that has been changed.
Five HD PENTAX-DA Limited interchangeable lenses for K-mount lens-interchangeable digital cameras, featuring high-grade HD coating and round-shaped diaphragm?RICOH IMAGING

And the specs tell that the aperture will stay round until f/5.6, except for DA21 where it's f/4.

08-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting that Pentax haven't weather-sealed these new units.

This might create quite an interesting opportunity to double-up on their higher-end offerings.

Line One is the classic all-metal DA Limiteds with a smaller camera body optimized for them. A nice one for a trip to Paris, Venice or Rome for the person who likes quality with style, travels light and is prepared to pay for it. Maybe the K50 is that camera and it would certainly be a fine match, but it doesn't seem high-end enough for it.

Line Two is the DA* lenses, the zooms and everything else. The camera body is bigger because it incorporates mostly everything bar the kitchen sink, maybe even dual card slots. That's the tough working kit, the one you'd take out in rough conditions (rioting mothers-in-law at weddings, over the Andes by frog and canoe, etc.).

Which gets me thinking that tough WR primes could more easily be added to the DA* series, not the classic limited series. There's already a 55 mm. Add in a 24 mm, 85 mm and maybe a 135 mm and Bob is ton oncle.

Last edited by mecrox; 08-28-2013 at 02:48 AM.
08-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why so much negativity? Sure, this isn't a big deal, but if you are bothered by the new coatings, or want the older look, just buy a used lens -- there are a bunch out there and they last forever Certainly this (may) put to rest some of the complaints about Pentax's ancient lens designs (not sure where those come from), although I would expect the FA limiteds to get an update too -- probably with weather sealing...
08-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Maybe Pentax thinks like me in respect to WR: What use is weather sealing on a prime lens anyway? There you are, in the pooring rain or in a dusty environment, needing to switch lenses from the 15mm to 55mm. You don't want to expose the insides of your precious camera to the lements, nor do you want to be stuck at one focal length. Therefore WR only makes sense on superzoom lenses, imho. The extra IQ of the prime is compromised by the moist or dust in the atmosphere anyway.

08-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I doubt there is any real difference except in a few select situations where there might be some minor difference
08-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
DA15 and DA21 still use 7 blades, and DA40, DA70 and DA35 still use 9 blades. It's only the shape of the blades that has been changed.
Five HD PENTAX-DA Limited interchangeable lenses for K-mount lens-interchangeable digital cameras, featuring high-grade HD coating and round-shaped diaphragm?RICOH IMAGING

And the specs tell that the aperture will stay round until f/5.6, except for DA21 where it's f/4.
So there will no problems with the starbursts
08-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #202
Veteran Member

It would have been even cooler if they would have re-introduced succesful lenses that are currently no long available. HD DFA 50/1.2? HD DFA 85/1.4? HD DFA 135/2.8?

08-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It would have been even cooler if they would have re-introduced succesful lenses that are currently no long available. HD DFA 50/1.2? HD DFA 85/1.4? HD DFA 135/2.8?
Ohyes, a FA or DA Limited 135mm would be wonderful.

I'd love for it to be compact (thus, wishing for Limited and can live with a little slower) but if Pentax can cook up a nice DA* 135/2.8 (or faster ) w/SDM, bring it on!
08-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
HD DFA 50/1.2
Oh yes, the A 50/1.2 was just recently finally retired from the Japanese market, and both the K and A versions are pretty expensive used, so there definitely would be a market for a new version.
08-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #205
Site Supporter

I think this is a good thing. Incremental upgrades are still upgrades. Will I buy the new lenses? Maybe the 15, but it was on my personal lens to-buy list anyways. Will it make me get rid of my FA limited lenses? Definitely not.
08-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Oh yes, the A 50/1.2 was just recently finally retired from the Japanese market, and both the K and A versions are pretty expensive used, so there definitely would be a market for a new version.
I smell replacement on the way then. It makes sense to me. Upgrade the current lenses to handle higher resolution sensors, then release new ones along with new cameras. If the LX-D is in fact true, it might be using the 36 MP FF sensor as that sensor has shown that it could out resolve the current generation of Nikon lenses and coating. And what did Pentax just do? Update lenses with "HD" coating.

P.s. I think the FA limiteds will be getting the HD and WR treatment. Why not the DA's? Well size is a big factor. Adding weather seals to tight tolerance lenses is not an issue, but it would require more space, thus breaking with the DA limited design philosophy. The FA limiteds are lenses that are designed to be the pinnacle of resolution and light handling/gathering with emphasis on IQ. Size is not a constraint with FA's so I think we can expect them to have WR sealing. Just my .02.

Last edited by theperception2008; 08-28-2013 at 04:34 AM. Reason: added post script.
08-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Which, of course, would set you back probably $1,500 (check out the prices for the Canon EF 50/1.2 USM. The market for this type of lens is certainly very small.
08-28-2013, 04:34 AM - 3 Likes   #208
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do people voicing such strong opinions know so little? The DA15 and DA21 have always had 7 aperture blades, and the new versions still do, as they should. The 14 point starbursts they produce are fabulous and stand them apart from the overly-busy 9 blade ho-humness of just about every other premium lens.

All the other haters can go jump. This is great news; Ricoh/Pentax are committed to continuing the DA limited legacy and these announcements (along with the *awesome* news about two new WR flashes) is no doubt the tip of the iceberg.
08-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Which, of course, would set you back probably $1,500 (check out the prices for the Canon EF 50/1.2 USM. The market for this type of lens is certainly very small.
I don't know about that. The old Pentax 50 1.2 has always been lots cheaper then the Canon versions. Even though the Pentax variant is MUCH better. And if I look at the price of of the Pentax 1.2 in the used market, and how fast they are always sold, then I think the market is quite large. 1.2 has always some sort of holey grail for a lot of shooters.

Moreover, focussing the old 1.2 manually with a stock focus screen is next to impossible. That creates a certain barrier for a lot of users. But if the autofocus of a revamped HD DFA 50/1.2 is reliable, that barrier is gone. And the market would be even bigger.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-28-2013 at 04:57 AM.
08-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #210
Inactive Account

are you sure that the new version have 7 blades? Dpreview reports that they also have 9 rounded blades