Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I fully disagree with this. HD is an acronym which can mean anything (Horse Dung, anyone?), while horsepower is quite specific.
Sure. Just like MPH, which really is an acronym which can mean "My Pretty Horse", cm is an acronym which really can mean "can meet", RADAR really is an acronym which can mean "Rapidly Approaching Date Assault-Rape" (and not "Radio Assisted Detection And Ranging"), and XRAY really is an acronym which can mean "Xenophobic, Racially Androgynous Youth"....

Yeah, you can redefine anything to mean anything. But that doesn't make any sense.
If you redefine a term that already has a well-established semantics, then that just creates confusion and imprecision.

So, Sandy Hancock, I respectfully suggest that you're right - where, of course, I redefine "right" as an acronym to really mean "really incorrect, genuinely, honestly, truly"

08-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
What really irks me is the marketing for "High Definition" audio, when the term specifically refers to video applications. The correct term for audio is "High Fidelity," although I guess the marketing droids thought that would sound too old-fashioned.
Proper naming of stuff is gone I am afraid. Long gone. Years ago I drove the sister-in-law's Toyota Corolla with an SR 'Super Responsive' motor. Had to overtake multiple large trucks in the dark on an unfamiliar narrow and winding road. The total absence of any responsiveness was frightening. I still remember that drive nearly 30 years later.

And I'm old enough to remember all that peak music power crap that was used to flog ghetto blasters in the 80's.

The real problem for manufacturers now is to find a term or abbreviation that hasn't already been trademarked and usurped by someone else.
08-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, MPH and cm are not acronyms - they're abbreviations. RADAR on the other hand IS an acronym! (just trying to lighten things up)
08-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #229
Forum Member

Let's not confuse this discussion with actual facts of things, and let's focus on the important issues here; the lenses tap the 'Pentax' red color scheme - how were they ever green in the first place? Heads need to roll. And the lighting setup on the new product shots seem to have reflectors set up to the family of angles to produce direct reflection. What's the significance of that to the overall approachibility of the item in question; top-heavy old green versus top light pentax red. How is this newfound consistency and/or intelligence being trumped by semantics of HD in this thread.

08-28-2013, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Actually, MPH and cm are not acronyms - they're abbreviations. RADAR on the other hand IS an acronym! (just trying to lighten things up)
Oh dear...

Let's see hat Merriam-Webster has to say.

acronym: "a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term"

abbreviation: "a shortened form of a written word or phrase used in place of the whole <amt is an abbreviation for amount>"

MPH == Miles Per Hour
CM = Centimeter

I might concede that CM could be an abbreviation (although, I'd be ready to debate that......), but MPH most certainly is an acronym
08-28-2013, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Proper naming of stuff is gone I am afraid. Long gone. Years ago I drove the sister-in-law's Toyota Corolla with an SR 'Super Responsive' motor. Had to overtake multiple large trucks in the dark on an unfamiliar narrow and winding road. The total absence of any responsiveness was frightening. I still remember that drive nearly 30 years later.

And I'm old enough to remember all that peak music power crap that was used to flog ghetto blasters in the 80's.

The real problem for manufacturers now is to find a term or abbreviation that hasn't already been trademarked and usurped by someone else.
Clearly you were mistaken SR means "Shake Reduction" and not "Super Responsive", and Toyotas implementation of Shake Reduction simply was to underpower the car

Oh, and I take exception to your saying "I'm old enough to remember...ghetto blasters in the 80's". I remember /cursing/ ghetto blasters in the 80'es, and I refuse to be labeled as "old"
08-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New updated DA limited lenses (that weren't even on the roadmap, btw), weather sealed flashes (I know you can't group them, but still, cool), and possible zooms on the horizon. If they can fill out the obvious hole with an APS-C flagship level improved camera sometime this fall (though people will complain it's too expensive, I guarantee it) Ricoh will have had a pretty good year all considering what they released earlier this year. Just a guess, but full frame probably is 2014 or even 2015, sadly. We'll see what happens.

I will be interested to see if the resolution is improved by the HD coatings. I'm guessing it would only be in situations where flare might degrade the image? You guys with technical expertise will have to explain the potential. Quality of color and contrast is also affected by coatings, no? I've always found the contrast on the DA Limiteds to be very good, but if that could be improved why not? I also wonder if they are going to start adding HD coating to Q lenses.

Besides that the rounded apertures on the 15 mm and 21 mm fixes the main weakness (besides high aperture) on those two lenses. The combination of all this would be great fit with a higher resolution APS-C camera.

08-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would love it if the DA 15 was sealed. If I could stick that on one K5 and my DA 55 on the other, I wouldn't every change lenses...
+100
We shall see what their plans are in the future, but as it stands, the only weathersealed primes are the 55, 200 and 300. Why nothing shorter?
08-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
MPH most certainly is an acronym
Sorry - MPH is not a "word formed from the initial letters". How do you pronounce it? Anyway, to get back on thread - I rather like the red stripes, but I liked the green ones, too.
08-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #235
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
May I suggest you go back a few posts and read the table in the press release from Ricoh Japan (in English):
thanks I was reading the lens database. oops Adam has to type that correctly I guess. Our database is wrong then, did anyone check the entry of the 15mm there?
08-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Proper naming of stuff is gone I am afraid. Long gone. Years ago I drove the sister-in-law's Toyota Corolla with an SR 'Super Responsive' motor. Had to overtake multiple large trucks in the dark on an unfamiliar narrow and winding road. The total absence of any responsiveness was frightening.
How was ride? Maybe the dealer made a mistake and instead of the Super Responsive model, they gave her the Shake Reduction model instead.
08-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Sorry - MPH is not a "word formed from the initial letters". How do you pronounce it? Anyway, to get back on thread - I rather like the red stripes, but I liked the green ones, too.
In what universe is MPH not the initial letters from "Miles Per Hour"?
As to how I pronounce it....I generally don't (I live in the part of the world that has moved into the 20th century and gone metric), but if I had to, it would be either the word "Miles", followed by the word "Per" followed by the word "Hour" - or it would be "Emm Pee Haa", depending on mood.

Back on the thread, I couldn't care less about the color of the ring, and the Limited lenses I have do not really need improvement other than that they could do with a better photographer (I'm working on that ). If changing from a green to a red ring means that Pentax will come out with an 135/1.9 Ltd., then I am all for the change
08-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #238
Pentaxian

If mph is a "word" I've been saying it wrong. Instead of "em pee aytsh" I should be saying "emf" or "mif"
08-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #239
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
In what universe is MPH not the initial letters from "Miles Per Hour"?
As to how I pronounce it....I generally don't (I live in the part of the world that has moved into the 20th century and gone metric), but if I had to, it would be either the word "Miles", followed by the word "Per" followed by the word "Hour" - or it would be "Emm Pee Haa", depending on mood.

Back on the thread, I couldn't care less about the color of the ring, and the Limited lenses I have do not really need improvement other than that they could do with a better photographer (I'm working on that ). If changing from a green to a red ring means that Pentax will come out with an 135/1.9 Ltd., then I am all for the change
Aw I'd love a 135 1.9 LTD and weatherseal it just to make everyone happy.
08-28-2013, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If mph is a "word" I've been saying it wrong. Instead of "em pee aytsh" I should be saying "emf" or "mif"
Ah, well, I gather that if "pronunciation as a word" is the defining difference between the two, then I'm in the wrong, and MPH isn't an acronym. Then again (looping back to the discussion) nor is HD, then?

And now we're back with HD (see what I did there?), regardless of if it is an acronym or an abbreviation, it's a poor choice to redefine a well-known "term" in the way Pentax has done with this coating.