Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
@clavius
I also do not understand why your clients are more interested in the branding of your tools than the finished result!
Brand recognition by clients is very important. A lot of the clients that I serve still remember Pentax as one of worlds best optics manufacturers. Customer is king. A few required me to shoot FF, so I go out and buy a Canon 5DMKII, simple. Photography is one thing, but knowing your customers is just plain smart business in any business. They do teach you that when you take photography classes you know. At least, they did in my time.

08-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think most of my clients have any idea what brand camera I shoot with or would care if they did.

Last edited by mattb123; 08-28-2013 at 02:19 PM.
08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Brand recognition by clients is very important.
If you really, truly mean that I empathize with you - really, I do. A major part of your business identity is changing and you have no control over the change - you are entirely dependent on what Ricoh decides it wants Pentax to be, and that might change the channel of your tools' future, while your business channel perforce cannot change.

I just lived through a similar, painful process in my business, that I have built over the last 30 years. My parent company name, business processes, products, visual identifiers, collateral material, brand names, locations, services and virtually everything else changed over a 2 year period. I complained daily - loudly, repeatedly, up and down the corporate ladder - until one day I just stopped. I decided, and I stopped. At the same moment I stopped making everyone else around me unhappy, too.

In the end my clients do business with me, not with my company. They're dependent on me to know where to tell the company to take a hike, and on how I adapt to the change and implement new opportunities and recover from lost systems in a way that serves them best.

Go ahead and vent - if it serves you. But I guarantee you will lose your clients if you approach every business assignment lamenting the loss of your old identity.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.
08-28-2013, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #289

Photos: Albums
After reading this thread although admittedly not in its entirety, the only thing I can surmise is that this forum must be a labor of love for Adam.

08-28-2013, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #290
Veteran Member

I am very excited about the new lens line up for a few reasons. 1. Growth is welcomed no matter how small it may seem. 2. New products make prices drop for the older models. I would happily buy a 35 f2.8! or a 21 f3.2. I am new to the Pentax world, (first camera is the K-5 II) but I am very optimistic with the direction of the company. It seems Ricoh is pushing the brand in the right direction. What I would really like to see is the already amazing prime lenses to have weather sealing.
08-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by melvis2 Quote
After reading this thread although admittedly not in its entirety, the only thing I can surmise is that this forum must be a labor of love for Adam.
Haha, that's for sure. Thank you Adam!
08-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I am very excited about the new lens line up for a few reasons. 1. Growth is welcomed no matter how small it may seem. 2. New products make prices drop for the older models. I would happily buy a 35 f2.8! or a 21 f3.2. I am new to the Pentax world, (first camera is the K-5 II) but I am very optimistic with the direction of the company. It seems Ricoh is pushing the brand in the right direction. What I would really like to see is the already amazing prime lenses to have weather sealing.
I totally agree. It's not like the older Limiteds will start becoming bad lenses all of a sudden They're superb lenses that have just been made even better. This is exciting news, especially since low budget people like me might actually end up with an older Limited lens in my bag in the near future

08-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Taken with the mark I SMC Pentax DA Limited 35 Macro f2.8.
If the first version was this sharp then the HD coatings should only be better...

P.s. off topic: Any one want to guess where the leaf was at when the photo was taken? No one has guessed it yet that has seen the photo.

Last edited by theperception2008; 08-28-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added post script.
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #294
bxf
Veteran Member

Ricoh is not going to make lots of money just by pleasing existing Pentaxians. I'd guess that even if every single member here were to buy something, it wouldn't result in a sufficient increase in company revenue. New entrants into the system are sorely needed.

A lineup of new, high quality (and gorgeous looking) lenses cannot hurt when it come to attracting new buyers.
08-28-2013, 03:43 PM - 11 Likes   #295
Banned

It hasn't dawned to many is that what we're witnessing right now is a total re-branding and redesign of Pentax.

Re-brandng in a sense that Pentax will reassess its values, clarify its promise, the message, and the delivery. Something like a man waking up after a long night in a local hangout, sleep in the gutter, now coming again to his senses and washing up his face.

Clutter removed, floors polished up, chairs lined up, new coat of paint on walls, windows cleaned. It's the new house, or rather, it's what an old one could have been long ago.

It is normal to happen, because if I was buying Pentax, I'd do exactly the same as Ricoh is now doing; make the brand up to scratch and sing it not only according to its time (because Pentax was lagging behind everyone horribly) but a few steps ahead in the future too. And that is what confuses many.

When there's so much misunderstanding about what's going on in this simple and benign example of a DA Limited lens line revamp, I suspect the reactions upon seeing all new cameras will be even more shocking to some. I rather say, brace yourself all of you who claim to know Pentax; start with the look of the new HD Limiteds, try to connect it with the look of new flashes, and try to imagine a new camera, or the inevitable HD revamp of the DA* lens line.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-28-2013 at 03:56 PM.
08-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
t hasn't dawned to many is that what we're witnessing right now is a total re-branding and redesign of Pentax.

Re-brandng in a sense that Pentax will reassess its values, clarify its promise, the message, and the delivery.

Clutter removed, floors polished up, chairs lined up, new coat of paint on walls, windows cleaned.

It is normal to happen, because if I was buying Pentax, I'd do exactly the same as Ricoh is now doing; make the brand up to scratch and sing it not only according to its time because Pentax was lagging behind everyone horribly, but a few steps ahead in the future too. And that is what confuses many.

When there's so much misunderstanding about what's going on in this simple and benign example of a DA Limited lens line revamp, I suspect the reactions upon seeing all new cameras will be even more shocking to some. I rather say, brace yourself all of you who claim to know Pentax; start with the look of the new HD Limiteds, try to connect it with the look of new flashes, and try to imagine a new camera, or the inevitable HD revamp of the DA* lens line.
Well put! +1
08-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote

P.s. off topic: Any one want to guess where the leaf was at when the photo was taken? No one has guessed it yet that has seen the photo.
on a car
08-28-2013, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
If the first version was this sharp then the HD coatings should only be better...

The texture of the surface is confusing. Either its wet concrete, or frozen water of some sort.

I agree the HD lens may have an advantage. To ChristianRock's point, I am willing to take the older version and save a few dollars. Saying that... we still haven't seen any images from the new lenses. Some side by sides may reveal wonderful improvements.

PS. Nice shot.
08-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It hasn't dawned to many is that what we're witnessing right now is a total re-branding and redesign of Pentax.

Re-brandng in a sense that Pentax will reassess its values, clarify its promise, the message, and the delivery. Something like a man waking up after a long night in a local hangout, sleep in the gutter, now coming again to his senses and washing up his face.

Clutter removed, floors polished up, chairs lined up, new coat of paint on walls, windows cleaned. It's the new house, or rather, it's what an old one could have been long ago.

It is normal to happen, because if I was buying Pentax, I'd do exactly the same as Ricoh is now doing; make the brand up to scratch and sing it not only according to its time (because Pentax was lagging behind everyone horribly) but a few steps ahead in the future too. And that is what confuses many.

nice perspective uluru.
08-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
This place is starting to sound like dpreview. Just a bunch of whiners, many of whom have already left Pentax, but come back spitting venom over anything and everything done by a company who frankly is making smart business decisions. I guess the problem for many is Ricoh/Pentax isn't dying as fast as they had hoped.

Green or Red ring, seriously? Who gives a f#$k? There is a green ring on the kit lens and consumer lenses, its called differentiation. No more logo tackily glued on the front, its called cost savings, production efficiency and more elegant design. Nobody bitching in this thread would even want to buy these anyways as they already have the old versions, or a Nikon FF and guess what? They arent made for you anyways...they are made for new customers and new products to come. Prices are a bit high to start? Yeah its Pentax that is how every release starts off...

The problem with Ricoh and Pentax is not the company or their products it is the negativity of a bunch of cranky old whiners tired of their hobby with nothing better to do than put down progress and cry about everything that they have no intent on purchasing.
Spot on.