Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I've just bought a "Hoya" filter that says "Made by Tokina Co. Ltd."
Tokina and Kenko are the same company. I think... (it's not always easy to understand these Japanese companies!).

(...and Tokina is still a partner of Ricoh-Pentax, I guess? And a partner of Hoya )

08-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
... If Pentax would have announced the update of the FA ltds instead of the DA ltds, then the FF rumor mill would have [a] complete meltdown...
I would love it if Pentax did just that! Right before the announcement of a FF body, by even a day or two. I would have the largest bowl of popcorn in Europe...
08-29-2013, 03:34 AM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Tokina and Kenko are the same company. I think... (it's not always easy to understand these Japanese companies!).

(...and Tokina is still a partner of Ricoh-Pentax, I guess? And a partner of Hoya )
That's why -upfront- I had thought that Hoya-Pentax would be a marriage made in heaven... But alas.
08-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #334

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
K-3 actually.
K-5 body size build(slightly wider) w/articulated screen.
20mp sensor with IQ improvements(RES, DR, NOISE ETC) across the board

Pentax is going to make alot of waves this year with the introduction of their new vision.
What about an improvement of the AF module ?
Smaller AF points and more AF points !

08-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #335
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It was NEVER a product line within the offerings of another camera manufacturer.
I took the above to mean that you were unhappy with the current company structure, hence my comment about Leica. In fact, at the time I read your post above, I was not aware of your post no. 315:

...How would you have reacted had Nikon or Canon bought PENTAX instead of Ricoh?
Canikon is generally considered the arch enemy around here, which is why I mentioned them - but I forgot to mention Leica. It probably would have been more interesting if any of the other camera manufacturers (other than Ricoh) had bought Pentax for a number of reasons. Perhaps the subject of another thread?
Would you help me out and explain why your post is so witty that it required an emoticon?
Just to avoid coming across as confrontational.
08-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #336

Yes Hoya does have experience of optics (Tokina) as we all know. It was quite clear to many of us that the Pentax buy out was mostly to get the medical division which is seen as a far sounder investment (not sure about the lenses for glasses business I assume that's part of it)

I don't really care if the bloke down the street buys Pentax "if" they have an idea of what to do and some vision.
Ricoh, well they are similar to Konica Minolta in their print/copy business side of things, but they have nothing of the kind of expertise or vision that Minolta had in the camera industry.
So far Ricoh have done little to impress, and this new "HD" coating and red ring just looks like an excuse to put the prices up "again" on the same lenses.

I for one am not fooled by this ploy at all. But back to Ricoh they are a bit player in the camera market cruel but true, the GX-R was a big flop, they had potential years ago with the GR-D and RX premium compact market and the new model looks decent, but it's all too late really, everyone else took the prizes for that market. I personally don't see this lasting that long or being a successful venture for either company. I don't think Ricoh have the vision to take Pentax forward, they just seems to increase prices and hope to suck out some more profits.

It's actually a bit embarrassing as Pentax should be a clear no. 3 with all the strange choices and changes of direction Sony have done over the years.
Ricoh- Pentax isn't working very well neither did Hoya - Pentax either.
08-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #337

Photos: Albums
i'm sick of names

08-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Yes Hoya does have experience of optics (Tokina) as we all know. It was quite clear to many of us that the Pentax buy out was mostly to get the medical division which is seen as a far sounder investment (not sure about the lenses for glasses business I assume that's part of it)

I don't really care if the bloke down the street buys Pentax "if" they have an idea of what to do and some vision.
Ricoh, well they are similar to Konica Minolta in their print/copy business side of things, but they have nothing of the kind of expertise or vision that Minolta had in the camera industry.
So far Ricoh have done little to impress, and this new "HD" coating and red ring just looks like an excuse to put the prices up "again" on the same lenses.

I for one am not fooled by this ploy at all. But back to Ricoh they are a bit player in the camera market cruel but true, the GX-R was a big flop, they had potential years ago with the GR-D and RX premium compact market and the new model looks decent, but it's all too late really, everyone else took the prizes for that market. I personally don't see this lasting that long or being a successful venture for either company. I don't think Ricoh have the vision to take Pentax forward, they just seems to increase prices and hope to suck out some more profits.

It's actually a bit embarrassing as Pentax should be a clear no. 3 with all the strange choices and changes of direction Sony have done over the years.
Ricoh- Pentax isn't working very well neither did Hoya - Pentax either.
The new model is a bit more than decent according to reviews from around the web. Canon's G1x isn't selling to the same degree and nor is the CoolPix A. Both are steady in stock, while the GR continues to sell out. I have to disagree that the GR is "too late" It's infact the first of it's kind. Super compact camera with lots of external controls and a large sensor (more than 1").

Only recently have we seen compacts breech the 1/1.7" sensor size. Starting with the X10 (2/3") and the RX100 (1"). How is the GR "too late?"

Pentax has been dying for years... ever since the introduction of the K-mount...
08-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #339
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
The new model is a bit more than decent according to reviews from around the web. Canon's G1x isn't selling to the same degree and nor is the CoolPix A. Both are steady in stock, while the GR continues to sell out. I have to disagree that the GR is "too late" It's infact the first of it's kind. Super compact camera with lots of external controls and a large sensor (more than 1").

Only recently have we seen compacts breech the 1/1.7" sensor size. Starting with the X10 (2/3") and the RX100 (1"). How is the GR "too late?"

Pentax has been dying for years... ever since the introduction of the K-mount...
The 2/3" sensor size is not new. It was rehashed by Fuji. However, it's still a small sensor, unfortunately. The most significant small sensor is the Sony 1", in terms of a departure from those tiny sensors up to 2/3.
08-29-2013, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #340
Pentaxian

From what I've seen up to now is exactly what Ricoh said they were doing (that was 2 years ago):

- Compact camera stuff will bear the Ricoh name
- "Professional" i.e. more advanced/higher end stuff will bear the Pentax name

So I'm confident we will hear some EXCITING NEWS in 7 days. The revamp of the DA Limiteds was just the tip of the iceberg, to make the system more homogenous in anticipation of the still-to-be-announced new series of lenses
08-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #341
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
So I'm confident we will hear some EXCITING NEWS in 7 days. The revamp of the DA Limiteds was just the tip of the iceberg, to make the system more homogenous in anticipation of the still-to-be-announced new series of lenses
I just bought a case of popcorn. Wanna grab a beer and watch with me?
08-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #342

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote

Maybe the new Ricoh is selling ok, it's priced quite well but a 28mm fixed lens is less interesting to me than a 35mm f2 one.
They can make good stuff, but they've always had problems marketing wise getting that message out.

So far not convinced with them and Pentax
08-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #343
Veteran Member

The revamp of the DA Limiteds was just the tip of the iceberg, to make the system more homogenous in anticipation of the still-to-be-announced new series of lenses
That would be very cool! Everybody keeps saying that, but are there any sources for that rumor? I had assumed this DA ltd revamp WAS the new series of lenses. Do you believe they will be announcing things that aren't on the roadmap?
08-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #344
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That would be very cool! Everybody keeps saying that, but are there any sources for that rumor? I had assumed this DA ltd revamp WAS the new series of lenses. Do you believe they will be announcing things that aren't on the roadmap?
I believe Ricoh will announce and release product/upgrade in a constant stream over the next year. Some will be game changing, some will be incremental.

A new series of lenses qualifies as game-changing but actually couldn't even be ON the current lens roadmap, now could it? But if we look at the K-500 / K-50 (incremental update into more traditional dSLR bodies) and the DA Ltd. updates (a consistent, more outwardly modest brand identity when taken along with the K-bodies) maybe we can tease out an idea of the path Ricoh has laid out - along with Q and 645 - for the Pentax brand..

Who knows? Only the shadow knows.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-29-2013 at 06:52 AM.
08-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #345
Veteran Member

I hope so. I would like to see something other than a warmed over Hoya product.
I mean, we have some awesome gear, but just something really new.