Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Is it a bad time to buy a K-5 IIs, as the price might fall with a K3 announcement?
If the K-3 features are such a leap ahead from the K-5IIs to make you buy the more expensive K-3 instead, the best time to buy a K-5IIs is probably now. That way you'll save money and have a great camera, regardless of what the price does afterwards.

Don't compare prices of one given product over time, you should compare prices of the different products you would buy at any given moment over time.

On a related note, personally I will see what's announced. Here my possible scenario's:
A) The K-3 abandons the K-7/5/5II(s) form factor, thus requiring me to purchase a new grip (batteries?) and a new focus screen.
--> A1) The new features (exploiting hidden novelties in the new flashes?) are a large leap: I'll make the investment into the K-3
--> A2) Any new features will not impact my photography: I'll upgrade from the K-5 to the K-5IIs.
B) The K-3 retains the K-7/5/5II(s) form factor: I'll get the K-3 for sure
C) No K-3 is announced: I'll probably stick with my K-5 a while longer.

Of course that's assuming a new camera will be announced and that new camera will be a step up from the K-5IIs... We've been excited about upcoming announcements before and wrong dates for announcements have been rumoured before. A press conference may just repeat what press releases have made known before. I wouldn't be surprised that the HD versions of the DA limiteds and the new flashes are the full story...

Wim

08-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The Ltd zoom seems a little pointless to me. The focal length looks like it could be quite restricted
A lot of users are happy with the FA 20-35/4.
08-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #378
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think they should have kept the green ring rather than copy the red ring from Canon.

I think Pentax lenses in general could use a bit of an update, so in principle this is a good thing. However, they should have taken the opportunity to redesign the 21mm to make it a tad faster (f/2.8), reduce the barrel distortion and maybe increase sharpness wide open.

The apparent price increase is disheartening as the current limited lenses are already over-priced for the optics they offer.

What the limited line really needs is expansion - a new 35mm f/1.4 like that offered by Fuji has been missing for a very long time. Fuji are fast over-taking Pentax as having the best APS-C lens line-up available. Yes, it will be larger than current DA ltd lenses but I'm confident that it could be made no bigger than an M series 50/1.4. A longer ltd lens would also be nice, a 100mm f/2.4 for example. On paper this would be close to the 100mm macro, but would be much smaller without the macro capabilities.
It helps when you have a 17.7 mm registration distance (Fujifilm X-mount).
08-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #379
Banned

Fuji are fast over-taking Pentax as having the best APS-C lens line-up available.
I will dispute this. Such an assertion is made using spec sheets, decoupled from the actual performance and intents. For instance, Pentax's focus, even the annoying stuff on the K-5 v.1 is still lightyears better and faster than any of the X-cameras. And focuses in lower light.

Fuji's support for RAW is still poor. Can possible be resolved using more cooperation between them and software developers, but it's not to be yet.

Their faked ISO values further reduce how good they are to "alternate".

No IBIS. Sony's NEX line will add that in the coming year, so we'll have a lot more to be excited about from their camp. Plus superior, on-sensor PD, great EVFs, excellent video, and so on.

they are doing many things right, however. They are not fully there, but regardless, lots of good stuff there.

08-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #380
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But... Still the same problem: nothing new, only a repackaging/minor update of already existing lenses...
I would be interested in seeing what the HD coatings or Aerobright Coatings could do on some of the other FA lenses such as the FA 35 and FA 50/1.4 not to mention the FA 77 LTD. A release of the A 50/1.2 would be interesting as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
A lot of users are happy with the FA 20-35/4.
That would be another good one to release with the HD or Aerobright Coatings.
08-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #381
Site Supporter

I think they should have kept the green ring rather than copy the red ring from Canon.

I think Pentax lenses in general could use a bit of an update, so in principle this is a good thing. However, they should have taken the opportunity to redesign the 21mm to make it a tad faster (f/2.8), reduce the barrel distortion and maybe increase sharpness wide open.

The apparent price increase is disheartening as the current limited lenses are already over-priced for the optics they offer.

What the limited line really needs is expansion - a new 35mm f/1.4 like that offered by Fuji has been missing for a very long time. Fuji are fast over-taking Pentax as having the best APS-C lens line-up available. Yes, it will be larger than current DA ltd lenses but I'm confident that it could be made no bigger than an M series 50/1.4. A longer ltd lens would also be nice, a 100mm f/2.4 for example. On paper this would be close to the 100mm macro, but would be much smaller without the macro capabilities.
The thing is that this will help distinguish the current DA LTD lenses from the HD ones. Perhaps they could have used Blue and give me lenses to compare.
08-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #382

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The thing is that this will help distinguish the current DA LTD lenses from the HD ones. Perhaps they could have used Blue and give me lenses to compare.
If they did, people would be saying that they are copying Schneider-Kreuznach lenses

08-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #383
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That would be another good one to release with the HD or Aerobright Coatings.
I'm guessing that the Limited zoom will be an update of the FA 20-35/4, so it may happen!
08-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
If they did, people would be saying that they are copying Schneider-Kreuznach lenses
At least on Samsung DSLRs, it was "Schneider-Kreuznach" that copied Pentax.
08-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #385
Veteran Member

What are you talking about? Apparently people think the limited lenses are priced too cheap! and PF agree and put his view on front page.
08-30-2013, 07:06 AM - 6 Likes   #386
JPT
Pentaxian

It's interesting how the the green ring on Pentax lenses became the "iconic green ring" only this week. I'm still distraught about the demise of the "iconic Pentax grey plastic" of my F35-70 and the "iconic blue printed numbers" on my FA24-90. But this betrayal will become unbearable when Ricoh deprives us of the "iconic mint and pink leatherette" possible with the K-50!
08-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They can paint the whole lens Day-Glo orange if it will produce a superior image file -- well -- maybe not, but . . .
08-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #388

I was planning on buying the 15mm limited lens next month and now I am pleased to see they improved it. This is great news for me because the timing is right. The only complaint on the lens that I have read is that it wasn't as sharp as you think it would be for how well it is made. So it looks to me, Pentax has improved the quality of the lens by changing the aperture blades and putting on their new HD crystal coating that is to be better than the SMC coating. I was already sold on the existing lens but now that they have made it better is a great deal. yes the price is about $50 more but good lenses come at a price.

You "Na Sayers", would you rather Pentax left the limited lenses alone? I am always trying to improve my photography so why wouldn't a company take the same attitude if they were into photography? This is great news and I can't wait to get the new lens!
08-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #389
Veteran Member

To be fair, in the UK it's been reported by ephotozine that they'll be priced fairly steeply:

'HD PENTAX-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited £639.99'

That's £260 more than I paid for my non-HD copy about half a year ago. Nearly a 70% price hike. Ouch doesn't quite cut it.

Then again, the DA21mm is now about the same price as the Ricoh GR, which makes the choice even easier. And call me stupid but I'd still pay £600 for a DA limited. People have been paying well north of that for the FA Ltds for a while now.
08-31-2013, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #390

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
To be fair, in the UK it's been reported by ephotozine that they'll be priced fairly steeply:

'HD PENTAX-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited £639.99'

That's £260 more than I paid for my non-HD copy about half a year ago. Nearly a 70% price hike. Ouch doesn't quite cut it.

Then again, the DA21mm is now about the same price as the Ricoh GR, which makes the choice even easier. And call me stupid but I'd still pay £600 for a DA limited. People have been paying well north of that for the FA Ltds for a while now.

Well RRP is one thing street another, I'd say though no doubt the prices will go up on all the "new" (cough-old repainted) lenses.
35mm f2.8 will probably be £450-£500 odd street, nobody in their right mind would get £639.99 for that lens (nice as it is it's not realistic)

Mind you £450 is too much for that lens too.

From what I'm seeing I meet people who look at some of the Pentax bodies and are interested (K5II, K30 etc and the newer budget ones esp the good viewfinders are a selling point)
Then they look at the lens range. And whilst some of them might be of interest, they look at the prices (which are not great right now before these HD ones arrived), and they mostly lose interest, bar the odd buyer who digs around on ebay for some MF Pentax glass.

Ricoh are IMO not competent, and not good for Pentax, they are making the brand almost completely irrelevant to most people based purely on some ridiculous pricing of lenses. Pentax is not going to grow like this, it's going to slowly fade away into obscurity. As much as we all have a soft spot for Pentax, these recent "price hikes" disguised as new lenses (which are not new) is very revealing.