Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #421
Pentaxian

Either they plan some heavy discounting or they are going to lose a lot of sales & customers.

09-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #422
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Now are those prices special deals too? Because the original 35mm goes for $599 locally
The prices at this dealer do fluctuate but for all except the DA 40mm which is always a bit cheaper, 350-499 would be in the ballpark for a Limited over the past 2-3 years except for the DA 15mm which has always cost a lot more. Over the past year, however, I think prices have drifted down somewhat. OTOH, for some perspective, in 2007 I paid 209 brand-new for my DA 21mm.

FWIW, 599 dollars is around 385 gbp, not a lot more than the 369 on offer currently here.
09-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
in 2007 I paid 209 brand-new for my DA 21mm.
People forget that the Yen went through the roof starting in 2007 at the dawn of the global financial crisis. And there was substantial over-inventory. Fire sales in 2007-2009, and since production has been curtailed and the Yen has been aggressively driven down.
09-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #424

I don't think there are fire sales of merchandises until late 2008 and early 2009.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Either they plan some heavy discounting or they are going to lose a lot of sales & customers.
The only thing I can think of is that after the price increases in the US, Ricoh got an increase in profit and revenue, so they're normalizing the prices relative to the US prices :/

I don't know why the 15mm is the same price as 21mm, which seems to cost less to make.

09-03-2013, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
I have to say that I agree with a comment made on the photorumors link that its a bit ridiculous to replace the name SMC with HD. SMC is know for 40+ years while HD is just another abbreviation that has no connection with Pentax. They should have named it SMC HD.
Super Multi Coating rings a bit silly with 2013 ears as oposed to 1971 when it may have sounded contemporary. The same is true for the "*" designation; hopefully to dissapear as well.
09-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #426
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What I gather from this HD is that Pentax is planning on announcing a camera with a high pixel density (higher than current cameras), which needs the best resolution. And HD coatings are part of that. But these are still APS-C lenses.
I am glad they are improving their products, shows the company is not stagnating
Spot on. And also signalized that the high-end APS is part of Pentax plan and marked approach (as oposed to bottom end FF promoted by some). The coming camera is probably close to a "Limited" style camera possibly offered in both black and chrome like the Limiteds. Add the Limited zoom to the line-up and Pentax have an unique, compact high-quality system.
09-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #427
Pentaxian

I wouldn't go as far as to talk about a new camera's styling, but the message is clear: "we'll keep those DA Limiteds for a while, so why not update them with our second-best coating?".

09-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #428
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"why not update them with our second-best coating?"
Well, HD is supposedly more durable than the "best" coating.

I expect my lenses to stay consistent over many years of use,
so I'd prefer HD over Aero Bright.
09-03-2013, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #429
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

Apparently, ABC coating has bad wear characteristics, and can't be used for most important elements. Thus it is used for inside elements.
With good coating you can do this, for example:

I'd expect this is what HD is supposed to be too. Anyone willing to try?
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #430
sbc
Pentaxian

HD is a improved replacement for SMC. SP coating is applied to the front element to keep the front surface free of dust and stains. They co-exist.

Aero Bright coating is not as durable as HD coating, so they are only used in the interior of the lenses. So far only the DA*55, DA*60-250 and DFA645 lenses have it.
09-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

I didn't mean it as to "blame" them for not using ABC. Using the second-best coating (described as "almost as good" as the more expensive ABC) makes sense, and with such lenses I doubt anyone could see the difference.
And yes, it appears to be visibly better than smc (if that multicoating they had in display was indeed smc, the difference is substantial).
09-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #432
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am surprised that nobody (as far as I have read) mentioned the fact that "HD" is the way Hoya (Kenko Tokina in fact) are referring to their top-of-the-line filters (CIR-PL, Protector and UV filters):

HOYA | The Difference is Clear

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-04-2013 at 04:33 AM.
09-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #433
Pentaxian

Coincidence?
It has a different meaning, the coating is newer and developed by Pentax.
09-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #434
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Coincidence?
It has a different meaning, the coating is newer and developed by Pentax.
And Armani Eau Pour Homme is a fragrance developed by Giorgio Armani?

Not very likely. Giorgio Armani's designers have an exclusive agreement with one of world's largest manufacturers of perfumes from Europe; they choose samples, buy the fragrance wholesale, repack in Armani's bottles or perhaps, slightly alter fragrance formulas.

This HD coating was most probably developed by Hoya for its own optics division, and was passed down to Pentax Cameras and Optics to use it, or modify the formula for certain applications. As such, it was bought into Ricoh, and now officially started to be utilised.
09-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #435
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
(...)

This HD coating was most probably developed by Hoya for its own optics division, and was passed down to Pentax Cameras and Optics to use it, or modify the formula for certain applications. As such, it was bought into Ricoh, and now officially started to be utilised.
Or the other way around: developed by Pentax as a Hoya division but first used by Hoya for their own purposes and then transferred to Ricoh as a component of the Pentax Cameras and Optics business.