Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #451
Veteran Member

Now if we could see the FA LTDs updated with HD coatings.

09-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #452
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Now if we could see the FA LTDs updated with HD coatings.
I've suggested before that the FA limiteds are due an overhaul (I didn't expect this to be done for the DA limiteds). Existing FA ltd users may be aghast at the thought, but the fact is they're lacking when compared to some more modern designs (though not necessarily optically). If they added quick-shift, used updated coatings, rounded the aperture blades, that would be a fine start. I understand that if something could be done about the 77's wide open fringing that would also be beneficial.
09-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #453
Pentaxian

-and WR
09-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #454
Pentaxian

I agree on updating the 3 FAs. I am not sure updating the lmts with WR is my preferred strategy. I have used my limiteds when travelling and have given them a hard time - my 77 fell apart in my hands and my 35 macro I had to clean fungus that emerged within days, thriving in the Indian monsoon rains. Much as I love the design and small size and all that of the limiteds, I really hope Pentax will make a couple of practical, prime workhorses with WR. In fact that is what I hope for, much more than FF or mirrorless this and that: 2-3 reasonably fast primes in the 0-55mm span ... it's not really much to ask for, is it? Keeping the weight down is more important to me than size, this should be possible by using a good quality plastic. I could even argue that Pentax needs this in their line up to make their strategic forces meet, weather resistance and small primes. As of now, I feel caught in the middle - my body is WR but if I want a lens with WR that can match the output of my current lenses. Unfortunately, for the past years it seems as if they see their strategic force as being multicoloured bodies.

09-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #455
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Keeping the weight down is more important to me than size, this should be possible by using a good quality plastic.
That scared me so much that you made the coffee come out of my nose.
09-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suspect you get 2 of 3 for primes.

Quick shift manual focus (esp. w/scale)
WR
Compact size
09-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I agree on updating the 3 FAs. I am not sure updating the lmts with WR is my preferred strategy. I have used my limiteds when travelling and have given them a hard time - my 77 fell apart in my hands and my 35 macro I had to clean fungus that emerged within days, thriving in the Indian monsoon rains. Much as I love the design and small size and all that of the limiteds, I really hope Pentax will make a couple of practical, prime workhorses with WR. In fact that is what I hope for, much more than FF or mirrorless this and that: 2-3 reasonably fast primes in the 0-55mm span ... it's not really much to ask for, is it? Keeping the weight down is more important to me than size, this should be possible by using a good quality plastic. I could even argue that Pentax needs this in their line up to make their strategic forces meet, weather resistance and small primes. As of now, I feel caught in the middle - my body is WR but if I want a lens with WR that can match the output of my current lenses. Unfortunately, for the past years it seems as if they see their strategic force as being multicoloured bodies.
Well, there is already a nice DA* 55....I do agree a wide, sealed prime is required.
Or heaven forbid, they might redesign the 16-50mm. However that is another discussion.

09-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #458
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

What I mean is: Let the Limiteds be what they are now - metal and all (and I do love them), and add a couple of workhorses that can stand a bit of abuse. If you don't like "plastic" then "composite material" perhaps. Whatever. I don't know what modern lenses are made of. What material is the DA 55 made of?

Last edited by H. Sapiens; 09-09-2013 at 05:14 AM.
09-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #459
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Apparently, ABC coating has bad wear characteristics, and can't be used for most important elements. Thus it is used for inside elements.
With good coating you can do this, for example:

PENTAX SP coating (Super Protect coating) test - YouTube

I'd expect this is what HD is supposed to be too. Anyone willing to try?
They also ad SP Coating to the lenses receiving Aero.
09-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I actually find this comment very interesting I think it's true that we love our Ltds partly because of their build quality, but perhaps such feel is also reproducible in plastic? I have no complaints about the build quality of my AF-S 85mm nikon and Tokina 11-16, despite the fact that they're plastic. It's a "solid hunk of plastic" and it really inspires confidence, almost zero tolerance just like the metal limiteds . It's almost like takumar reborn but in plastic skin. Maybe it's not possible with small lenses as the weight will feel insubstantial, but the DA 40 isn't heavy at all either.

For FA lenses this might be beneficial but I dont see any benefit in making the DAs plastic. If you could shove WR in there by making it plastic, I'm all ears.
09-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #461
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think it's true that we love our Ltds partly because of their build quality,
The build quality should also be reflected in consistence through various samples and the Vietnamese versions have a much greater sample variation than we saw in the Made In Japan versions.
09-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #462
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
The build quality should also be reflected in consistence through various samples and the Vietnamese versions have a much greater sample variation than we saw in the Made In Japan versions.
That, again is AFAIK unsubstantiated (not to say anything else) if you don't give any link or whatever.
That's the first time I read this as well.
09-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #463
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
These HD lenses are yet to prove themselves, both in performance and in price, but they do look promising for new Ltd lens buyers. Existing DA Ltd owners may not be as excited, but it's hard to improve on such legendary lenses.

Ash.
I have seen all new DA HD Limiteds in flesh, and honestly, they look ways better than the old ones.
They are stunning. Seeing is believing. If the new cameras get the same sophisticated uplift, like the GR has over all its brethren, even Leica will hide itself under the desk.
These things have been designed for a tactile emotive response, a feeling of great and *differentiating* quality. Can't imitate that with plastic (Fuji's or m4/3 lenses).

Last edited by Uluru; 09-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
09-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #464
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That, again is AFAIK unsubstantiated (not to say anything else) if you don't give any link or whatever.
That's the first time I read this as well.
It was even on this forum. You could just search. It's fairly all over. That's why the ads are marked "MIJ" for limiteds, with people asking for the info on them, too.

Are All FA77mm f1.8 LTDs Created Equal?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Post two:

QuoteQuote:
3. Assembled in Vietnam (most common item on e-bay, etc). Like Nr.2, but people complain about some sample variation. Who knows.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3080071#forum-post-39596531

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39593612

There are even hits on this very forum of those 3,800,000 returns from google.
09-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of Ricoh's strengths is manufacturing process control. Perhaps there were changes to the Limiteds that go deeper than the paint.

Need I say more?