Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #706
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Actually exept for starburst (and maybe flare?) DA 12-24 performs better than the DA 15.

I personally find that when I shoot primes, I become much more disciplined in composing, looking at subject, and observing how the light works on the subject. That alone make me prefer primes whenever I can afford to use it.

Also like I said previously, shooting strapless with DA 40 and a grip. Camera weight is distributed top to bottom instead of front to back. I just find it very ergonomic / comfortable. It's similar to enjoying a drive in the highway with one hand as opposed to two hands (dangerous I know, same as carrying a $1000 equipment with no strap)

You're right though that in regards to performance, modern zoom lenses are no worse than DA limiteds (except maybe regarding flare, most DA lims are invincible to flare)

FA limited is another story though as their rendering in the right light is quite special imo

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/235400-new-hd-da-limit...#ixzz2hEWeVQ8F
My prime line up is DA 15 - FA 31 - DA 40 - DA 55 -- FA 77 -- DFA 100 WR. Honestly, I prefer the FA limiteds to the DA limiteds. I feel like I gain more with regard to sharpness and (of course) speed with them than with the DA limiteds. The DA 40 is sharper corner to corner than my DA *16-50, but the big thing is that it is tiny and of course, as you say, much more resistant to flare (should be better with HD coatings).

10-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #707
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So the new HD versions are not weather sealed? Missed opportunity there
10-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #708
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
So the new HD versions are not weather sealed? Missed opportunity there
The selling point of the Limiteds are their size. Making them WR would increase their size. I for one, would rather have the small size. Something like the DA 70mm has quite a good teleophoto reach but you would never know just looking at it, and if you take the hood off its even smaller. The DA* 55 prime lens is not in the same category but has WR but rather too big...
10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #709
gri

Hello everybody,

I have DA15 and FA 77, so I have gap between them and I am waiting for new Limited Zoom. Any ideas when we can expect it

Greetings from Bulgaria

10-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #710
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gri Quote
I have DA15 and FA 77, so I have gap between them and I am waiting for new Limited Zoom. Any ideas when we can expect it
Greetings from the UK. I believe the pigs are lining up on the runway as I write.....
10-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #711
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Interesting discussion. I pretty well only use primes (DA Limited and legacy primes) which is the reason for using Pentax, imho. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll get the combination of sharpness and excellent OOF areas come bokeh at wide apertures with a zoom, or with not an average zoom.
Yes indeed, I haven't found any zoom that beats even the lowest of my primes in terms of bokeh, but that's just in my case

For nikon you can get really great zooms indeed but they come at a price... although the last AF-D generation lenses (equivalent to Pentax FA) are excellent, excellent value (I just scored an AF 80-200/2.8 for $300). They have no WR though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My prime line up is DA 15 - FA 31 - DA 40 - DA 55 -- FA 77 -- DFA 100 WR. Honestly, I prefer the FA limiteds to the DA limiteds. I feel like I gain more with regard to sharpness and (of course) speed with them than with the DA limiteds. The DA 40 is sharper corner to corner than my DA *16-50, but the big thing is that it is tiny and of course, as you say, much more resistant to flare (should be better with HD coatings).
I owe it to myself to try an FA limited someday after my lineup is complete regarding FL and speed that I need Maybe I should trade my DA 40 for FA 43 but I like it that lens too much... what if I dont like the FA 43? Contrary to people's complaints about the 40's FL I find it perfect for my needs, not too wide, not too tele.

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
The selling point of the Limiteds are their size. Making them WR would increase their size. I for one, would rather have the small size. Something like the DA 70mm has quite a good teleophoto reach but you would never know just looking at it, and if you take the hood off its even smaller. The DA* 55 prime lens is not in the same category but has WR but rather too big...
I believe DA 55 is huge because of its optical design and sdm, not particularly because of wr. Nikon's AF-S lenses are huge compared to their AF-D counterpart. Sigma 50/1.4 which performs similarly to the DA* is also pretty big.

DA 1855 WR is practically the same size as the original 1855. However the construction is plastic, so the maybe why its easier to wr. I certainly wouldn't convert my DA Limited to DA L WR even if they're optically the same! Maybe some here would though.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 10-10-2013 at 06:45 AM.
10-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I don't know. The DFA 100mm WR is pretty small for what it is. Feels like you could put a gasket on the lens mount and some kind of internal seal without adding a whole lot to the size.

10-10-2013, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #713
Pentaxian

Original Poster
WR isn't increasing size by anything noticeable. In-lens motor is.
10-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #714
Veteran Member

The lens I'd most like to see (and own) is a FA Limited 24mm. I haven't bought a lens in a long time, but I'd buy that in an instant. Right now my primes are all Voigtlander, 20 through 90mm, plus a Contax/Zeiss 28mm. I prefer the color rendering of the FAs, plus like the Voigtlanders and Zeiss, they keep me ready for FF. As the "normal" lens for APS-C, I use the 28mm more than any other, but I'd would like wider prime that doesn't quite behave as a "wide" lens (like the 20mm or 15mm do IMO), and 24mm would perfect.
10-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
The lens I'd most like to see (and own) is a FA Limited 24mm. I haven't bought a lens in a long time, but I'd buy that in an instant. Right now my primes are all Voigtlander, 20 through 90mm, plus a Contax/Zeiss 28mm. I prefer the color rendering of the FAs, plus like the Voigtlanders and Zeiss, they keep me ready for FF. As the "normal" lens for APS-C, I use the 28mm more than any other, but I'd would like wider prime that doesn't quite behave as a "wide" lens (like the 20mm or 15mm do IMO), and 24mm would perfect.
Isnt' FA* 24mm basically 24mm limited?
10-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #716
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
In that situation, the ZK 25/2.8 Distagon is worth considering.
10-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #717
Veteran Member

Isnt' FA* 24mm basically 24mm limited?
I suppose I should be happy with what the FA* 24mm offers in terms of photo quality, but (no offence to FA owners) I am really turned off by the aesthetics of the bulky, windowed FA look. The relatively compact FA Limiteds, to me, are a beautiful design.
10-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #718
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
In that situation, the ZK 25/2.8 Distagon is worth considering.
I actually owned that, but returned it because the resolution was so bad. I now assume I had a bad copy, though a member who owns one here called his a "brick" that didn't seem worth the price. I have, however, been tempted by the Contax-Zeiss 25mm, which can be picked up for about half the price (of course, then the adapter cost has to be added in). I don't know why, but have always thought of 24mm as a magic FL, plus 25mm is a bit close to my 28mm, so 25mm doesn't quite do it for me.
10-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #719

Yes indeed, I haven't found any zoom that beats even the lowest of my primes in terms of bokeh, but that's just in my case

For nikon you can get really great zooms indeed but they come at a price... although the last AF-D generation lenses (equivalent to Pentax FA) are excellent, excellent value (I just scored an AF 80-200/2.8 for $300). They have no WR though.
Getting a full frame, high quality zoom from Nikon is going to be cheaper than getting 3 Pentax HD primes.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Autofocus Lens (Black) 2164
10-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbrightside Quote
Getting a full frame, high quality zoom from Nikon is going to be cheaper than getting 3 Pentax HD primes.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Autofocus Lens (Black) 2164
And it weighs more than all five DA Limiteds put together.

If that's your thing, then by all means, go for it.