Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #766
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm afraid that SMC version will be discontinued soon and we could buy only HD versions with higher price.

10-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #767
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm afraid that SMC version will be discontinued soon and we could buy only HD versions with higher price.
Without a doubt.

Regarding white balance, if the camera is on auto then it should (attempt to) compensate for any tint present in the light that passes through the lens. Many old lenses have tints as a result of their old coatings (green is a popular one) but this doesn't affect digital because the auto WB compensates for it. So, I honestly don't see how it could be the lenses causing this if the camera is on auto. The WB pre-sets would be another matter, but I think even they can be fine-tuned in the camera.
10-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #768
Banned

That's why it's so cost-effective to buy used/lightly used/NOS.
10-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #769
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, most of the SMC ones are already gone at Adorama...

I've also heard that they are no longer on display in stores in Japan.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #770
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Not bad HD21 flare, but cheap UV filter flare!
I've tried shooting strait into the sun with mine at f8 and zero flare!
I did get one tiny green dot at the bottom of the frame with the sun just in frame at the top.
I don't really see a colour balance problem on the K7 either.
At last some real photos so that we can all stop speculating. That green blob flare also happens with the SMC version. What about starbursts ?
10-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #771
Veteran Member

But wait, where do the SMC lenses go? Do they suddenly sell out, or do the merchants put them off shelves and send them to Pentax for destruction?? Because I havent seen any big sales on the SMC versions (you know, to get rid of stock and make room for HD)
10-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But wait, where do the SMC lenses go? Do they suddenly sell out, or do the merchants put them off shelves and send them to Pentax for destruction?? Because I havent seen any big sales on the SMC versions (you know, to get rid of stock and make room for HD)
Ummm, did you look last week?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/239685-save-up-150-pen...s-adorama.html
I Expect the prices to drop back to original levels as soon as the smc are sold out.

10-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #773
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Ummm, did you look last week?
Apparently not hard enough
Now just to find something locally..
10-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #774
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Always something. but I don't like that they changed the colour to red on the ring. Reminds me too much of Canon L lenses.
that's weird, cause you thinking the same as me, maybe they are doing it to keep Canon on their toes!
10-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #775
Veteran Member

Has anyone notice that Panasonic are labelling their lenses "HD" also?
10-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #776
Pentaxian

Nope, where?
10-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #777
Veteran Member

I saw a roadmap on another forum, but I can't find it now. I just hooked this from the Panasonic web site, though:

"Panasonic Announces the Expansion of HD Lens* Line-up and the Firmware Update Program for the Interchangeable Lenses of LUMIX G Micro System.

Panasonic has set a new standard for the camera’s performance of auto focus and its silence performance for users to fully enjoy HD video recording. The following seven lenses clear this standard to be introduced as the HD Lenses.

*HD Lens is a high performance interchangeable lens that realizes high quality video recording. The lens excels in the performance of tracking focus in video recording while offering silent auto focus and exposure control."

News - Latest News - HD Lens Firmware Update - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Last edited by Cynog Ap Brychan; 10-24-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: formatting issues
10-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #778
Veteran Member

HD for Pentax is the coatings on exsisting lenses, and are not silent. They are supposedly higher quality coatings than previous and should add more flare resistance to lenses.
10-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #779

I'm not sure coatings are worth the £200 hike on some of these lenses. I'd understand a bit more with brand newly developed lenses, but these are simply the old ones with a paint job and supposedly swanky coatings.
10-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
I'm not sure coatings are worth the £200 hike on some of these lenses. I'd understand a bit more with brand newly developed lenses, but these are simply the old ones with a paint job and supposedly swanky coatings.
And different aperture blades....But yeah, $200 is a little much.