Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #781

Jury out on the aperture blades (some might like it others not ie stars etc) anyway most other makers are using rounded aperture blades and have done for some time bar some oldie lens designs.
I'm still not sure those tweaks justify such a big price hike. If it were £50 odd sure we can deal with that.

70mm f2.4 was £450 odd now it's £640, even the 40mm f2.8 was £325 it's £440. Those are massive price increases by any standards only the 15mm f4 doesn't seem to have gone up much (about £10) but that was quite expensive for a lens anyway. 21mm f3.2 seriously £590? What are Ricoh smoking?

Most potential buyers will look at those prices and run a mile. Those that don't will probably hunt down third party zooms to cover the range.
I just don't get it, K-3 looks like a nice body why spoil it with crazy price hikes?

Def no way Ricoh are going to expand Pentax with those prices

10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #782
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote

And still they are...
10-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #783
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Jury out on the aperture blades (some might like it others not ie stars etc) anyway most other makers are using rounded aperture blades and have done for some time bar some oldie lens designs.
I'm still not sure those tweaks justify such a big price hike. If it were £50 odd sure we can deal with that.

70mm f2.4 was £450 odd now it's £640, even the 40mm f2.8 was £325 it's £440. Those are massive price increases by any standards only the 15mm f4 doesn't seem to have gone up much (about £10) but that was quite expensive for a lens anyway. 21mm f3.2 seriously £590? What are Ricoh smoking?

Most potential buyers will look at those prices and run a mile. Those that don't will probably hunt down third party zooms to cover the range.
I just don't get it, K-3 looks like a nice body why spoil it with crazy price hikes?

Prices don't scare determined customers away. But with all the current developments in the camera business right now, investing in DA lenses isn't the smartest or most satisfying course right now.
10-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #784
Inactive Account

I agree. The pricing is insane

10-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #785
Veteran Member

Ironically high prices can make some things more desirable. People associate price with quality.
True story, a beer company released a new low carb beer into the marked. The only sales tactic that had any effect was when the lowered the price the sales dropped.
Of course it sucks when things go up in price, but I'm quite happy with a company that doesn't try and jawbone me into a different, more expensive format or stop making camera bodies in my lens mount.
10-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #786
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Prices don't scare determined customers away. But with all the current developments in the camera business right now, investing in DA lenses isn't the smartest or most satisfying course right now.
Hopefully more extensive updates for the FA LTDs are under development. It looks like they are updating the easiest and quickest products first and the DA LTDs really don't require much more than new coatings and blades. The SDM lenses are hopefully getting a new AF motor that is faster and quieter and that would be a more extensive overhaul.

They might have also chosen the DA LTDs to do first to see how users react to the pricing. If people don't buy them at the new price they might decide it isn't worth updating the other lenses to HD coatings.
10-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #787

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Ironically high prices can make some things more desirable. People associate price with quality.
True story, a beer company released a new low carb beer into the marked. The only sales tactic that had any effect was when the lowered the price the sales dropped.
Of course it sucks when things go up in price, but I'm quite happy with a company that doesn't try and jawbone me into a different, more expensive format or stop making camera bodies in my lens mount.
I'm thinking more of newer users or switchers from other mounts. The K-3 will appeal to some people even more so since Canikon have yet to update their high end APS-C bodies.
I think most people will run a mile when they see the lens prices, they'll run a mile with the flash prices too

Problem for Pentax is they have a pretty tiny market share (if we are honest) I can't see them growing much if at all even with some nice bodies.

10-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #788
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Hopefully more extensive updates for the FA LTDs are under development. It looks like they are updating the easiest and quickest products first and the DA LTDs really don't require much more than new coatings and blades. The SDM lenses are hopefully getting a new AF motor that is faster and quieter and that would be a more extensive overhaul.

They might have also chosen the DA LTDs to do first to see how users react to the pricing. If people don't buy them at the new price they might decide it isn't worth updating the other lenses to HD coatings.
Yes the FA ltds would have been a wiser joice. Those would have also been a safer choice to try first too. But are they still in production?
10-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #789
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes the FA ltds would have been a wiser joice. Those would have also been a safer choice to try first too. But are they still in production?
Hopefully they are being redesigned for a launch with a new FF body. If Pentax builds a FF body I would expect those to be the lenses that are launched with it.
10-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Has anyone notice that Panasonic are labelling their lenses "HD" also?
Another reason why "HD" is such a lame name for a lens coating. Everything these days is "HD", just as everything in the 1950s was "Dyna"-something, 1960s "Electro", 1970s "Super", 1980s "Turbo", 1990s "Virtual", 2000s "e-" and 2010s "Nano"

Much better for Ricoh to have looked for another unique name.
10-25-2013, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #791
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Yeah, like i-coating.
10-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #792
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Another reason why "HD" is such a lame name for a lens coating. Everything these days is "HD", just as everything in the 1950s was "Dyna"-something, 1960s "Electro", 1970s "Super", 1980s "Turbo", 1990s "Virtual", 2000s "e-" and 2010s "Nano"

Or not. If it works, well... from Ricoh's PoV, it's a win.

Remember AMD's Athlon XP and Nvidia's Detonators XP ? All of that because of Windows XP...
Just about the same stuff

That being said, I hear HD music so much better, an MP3/AAC/OGG is no go and even uncompressed CD 24/44.1 seems almost low end to me.
Not everything HD is crap although it is, of course, overblown.
10-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #793
Veteran Member

You know if you spell it out, Super-Multi-Coating does sound very lame and 70s

I like SMC though
10-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #794
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
You know if you spell it out, Super-Multi-Coating does sound very lame and 70s

I like SMC though
HD should have been called SSMC:- Super Special Magic Coating! Although that might be reserved for lenses with higher pixie densities
11-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #795
ibk
Forum Member

Just found this - direct comparison of SMC and HD coatings. Enjoy!
Attached Images