Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

New HD DA Limited lenses

Finally something new!

Pentax will refresh the DA Limiteds with HD coating instead oi SMC, hence a red ring instead of a green one and an aperture with rounded blades.
  • HD DA 15mm F4 Limited
  • HD DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
  • HD DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
  • HD DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
  • HD DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
There will be two versions: black and silver. Black versions will be available on 20th September in Japan, silver ones in October.

More details: Pentax Launches New HD Limited Lenses

08-27-2013, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But... Still the same problem: nothing new, only a repackaging/minor update of already existing lenses...
08-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So sad, I just blew a bunch of cash on repairs I'd rather have spent on the upgraded lens

Thanks for sharing.
08-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice for new customers! I doubt I will replace my DA15 and DA21... And as far as the longer focal lengths are concerned, I still prefer the FA limiteds... Perhaps I might finally get me a DA35/2.8 macro though...

What I really would like is that this replacement is to align the limited line with the to be announced limited zoom... Now that is something that really will interest me...

Wim

08-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if new cameras will sport the black and red motif?
08-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Always something. but I don't like that they changed the colour to red on the ring. Reminds me too much of Canon L lenses.
08-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Maybe the red ring signifies the fact that they're weather resistant? After all the WR lenses have a red rubber O-ring around the bayonet. And IIRC the biggest complaint about the Limiteds was that they were not weather resistant. Would be a missed opportunity if they replaced the old Limiteds with non-WR versions

08-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Maybe the red ring signifies the fact that they're weather resistant? After all the WR lenses have a red rubber O-ring around the bayonet. And IIRC the biggest complaint about the Limiteds was that they were not weather resistant. Would be a missed opportunity if they replaced the old Limiteds with non-WR versions
The red ring is the symbol of HD coating. There is such a ring on two lenses today: HD Pentax-DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW and HD Pentax-DFA 645 Macro 90mm f/2.8 ED AW SR.
08-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The red ring is the symbol of HD coating. There is such a ring on two lenses today: HD Pentax-DA 560mm f/5.6 ED AW and HD Pentax D-FA 645 90mm f/2.8 ED AW SR.
In that case indeed a missed opportunity, a waste of time and effort. Especially if the new versions will be much more expensive than the old ones.
08-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Great news! Although I've just bought the 21 and 40, so perhaps I should be annoyed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
In that case indeed a missed opportunity, a waste of time and effort. Especially if the new lenses will be much more expensive than the old ones.
Don't agree with this. The new coating will directly affect our images, so it's a meaningful update. It remains to be seen, but the HD coating might be one of the most important things to be introduced.

It also means that APS-C K-mount isn't going to disappear any time soon. I hope that Pentax comes out with a classically-styled K-mount camera and markets it heavily, along with these limiteds and the new limited zoom, against the Fuji X and Olympus OMD cameras. It seems like a natural way to build on their strengths.
08-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Be interested to know what the difference is and whether there are any plans to update the DA* zooms?
08-27-2013, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Don't agree with this. The new coating will directly affect our images, so it's a meaningful update. It remains to be seen, but the HD coating might be one of the most important things to be introduced.
Sorry, I don't agree with you. While I do agree that the HD coating is better the difference just will never be noticeable on the final photo in all but the most demanding conditions. Also, the HD coating is not as good as the "Aero Bright" coating as per Pentax.
08-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Great news! Although I've just bought the 21 and 40, so perhaps I should be annoyed.

It also means that APS-C K-mount isn't going to disappear any time soon. I hope that Pentax comes out with a classically-styled K-mount camera and markets it heavily, along with these limiteds and the new limited zoom, against the Fuji X and Olympus OMD cameras. It seems like a natural way to build on their strengths.
I'm trying to resist buying the 15mm (thinking that a FF camera might come), so I am annoyed... well, not really

HD coating and rounded aperture, well, there is some progress; and you're absolutely right, this is another clue they're far from preparing to phase out the K-mount. Though we'd all like to see new K-mount products...

Asahiflex, the HD coating is almost as good as AeroBright, better than SMC and apparently cheaper to manufacture.
08-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The press release announcing HD coating:

New HD coating for PENTAX lenses - Press Releases - RICOH IMAGING - European Hub Site
08-27-2013, 05:42 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Banned

Cool, this will mean that there will be habitual upgraders dumping their lenses on the used market.