Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Sorry but that's just a joke they are asking high end flash prices for a mid level flash.
That's £150 over a 58AF-2 and sorry but it's not worth that much.
I think you are right.

I don't think one can charge much for the weather sealing, because it does take little more than a clear plastic bag to protect any flash from the elements.

As for the utility of the LED light, we'll have to see how much value that adds.

But in general, the recent Pentax pricing (for everything except camera bodies) means to me that I'm looking elsewhere. And elsewhere, it is not looking too bad with new models supporting remote power control via radio, i.e., not the rather limited optical communication.

09-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Good news (for users), potentially bad news for the new Pentax flash units:

Cactus are working on a flash with a built-in radio receiver. A new V5 successor (V6) will be able to remote control the power of that flash. Can't wait to check these out; will hopefully be available by the end of 2013.

I like using flashes but walking around and adjusting them one by one is a pain, so remote power control will be tremendously useful.
AFAIC, the Pentax units will need a price adjustment with competition like this. They have a P-TTL advantage, but that only works with optical communication which did not work very well for me in the past, and I personally prefer manual settings anyhow.
09-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Yeah, that will shake things up a bit. Manual flash would be so much better for everyone if one did not have to keep lowering the light stand to adjust the power levels!
09-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Yeah, that will shake things up a bit. Manual flash would be so much better for everyone if one did not have to keep lowering the light stand to adjust the power levels!
It will soon be a thing of the past!

09-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had an interesting thought the other day - with the O-GPS we know it is now possible to transmit data through the flash connectors, what if Pentax was to make a set of self powered radio control triggers that communicated with the flash units through this interface and enabled RF wireless flash control. If pentax was to make such a product it would be in their best interests to alter the design of the current flash line up to make use of it...

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-29-2013 at 09:12 AM.
09-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If pentax was to make such a product it would be in their best interests to alter the design of the current flash line up to make use of it...
I like this dream. If the rumors of a "new flash system" or at least performance-wise in the upcoming new body works with the new flashes (which aren't in the market yet I think, but available for pre-orders)

speaking of samples, why does Pentax not release "sample videos" of the flash in performance, as opposed to camera bodies?
09-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
why does Pentax not release "sample videos" of the flash in performance, as opposed to camera bodies?
Because flash equipment doesn't have even half the impact in terms of IQ that changing camera hardware or lenses can have.