Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
In a model shooting you start with a setup maybe you decide change something, that means movimg around and losing time and much more stress.
I already formulate my lighting plans beforehand and relay them to my assistants (assuming I have need of them) before a shoot. If you're getting stressed by changing flash settings perhaps you should look into a different profession, do you think cardio surgeons get stressed about changing their scalpel blades? or elite soldiers getting stressed about changing the clip in their guns? you learn to do these things until you can't get them wrong - which is what distinguishes a professional from a rank amateur.

Pentax is not for serious job, while i have always used it for, and nikon flash system is serious.
I typically use my pentax K mount and Leica M cameras for personal work - I use my Canon, Nikon and medium format digital equipment for a majority of my professional engagements, not because one camera system is more "serious" than another - it is simply using the right tool for the job. You can't build a house using screws and a sledgehammer.

For example why not adding a solution to attach gel filter and the flash change automatically wb with diferentgel, like nikon sb800 do?
I use the Honl flash Gel system - which has a greater variety of flash gels than you can typically obtain for Nikon flash units.

You can use it, but is simply not on par compared to other system.
well take into account that pentax is a smaller company than Sony,Canon or Nikon - the only comparison we really have are Olympus and Leica and their flash systems aren't anything to write home about either (Especially Leica, which doesn't even produce a dedicated flash system for their M cameras. Leica just provides re-badged Metz flashes with an 50% price markup for the addition of the red dot.)

Where are those fast sealed prime? Zero
While not labelled as weather sealed, the DA*55mm f/1.4 was released several years ago- Pentax does mention the lens has seals to keep the elements out. But I suppose you already know that: with 50K of pentax gear you ought to have several hundred copies of that lens by now.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-31-2013 at 03:57 AM.
08-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #122
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I already formulate my lighting plans beforehand and relay them to my assistants (assuming I have need of them) before a shoot. If you're getting stressed by changing flash settings perhaps you should look into a different profession, do you think cardio surgeons get stressed about changing their scalpel blades? or elite soldiers getting stressed about changing the clip in their guns? you learn to do these things until you can't get them wrong - which is what distinguishes a professional from a rank amateur.

I typically use my pentax K mount and Leica M cameras for personal work - I use my Canon, Nikon and medium format digital equipment for a majority of my professional engagements, not because one camera system is more "serious" than another - it is simply using the right tool for the job. You can't build a house using screws and a sledgehammer.

I use the Honl flash Gel system - which has a greater variety of flash gels than you can typically obtain for Nikon flash units.
I stop discussing is totally useless. You just stated my point that pentax flash system is simply not on par with oher flash suystem, aka obsolete, and cost more.
I' m a traveler photographer so i dont have an assistant, and i setup my flash everywhere i need especialy outdoor and never in studio or rarely.
Looking from your gallery i am gentle not to comment about professionality.
08-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #123
Pentaxian

You just stated my point that pentax flash system is simply not on par with oher flash suystem, aka obsolete, and cost more.
Exactly where did I state this?

Looking from your gallery i am gentle not to comment about professionality.
As if comments from someone I don't even know, and never will know could possibly have any impact on me. Go ahead! criticism the hell out of my work! I always take it with a pinch of salt...good thing I have low blood pressure.
08-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #124
Inactive Account

Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash for Pentax DSLR Cameras 30439 B&H Photo

629 dollar...the most exepnsive hot shoe flash in the world. As the 560 another pentax products that will remainin the shelf.

08-31-2013, 04:11 AM   #125
Pentaxian

629 dollar...the most exepnsive hot shoe flash in the world. As the 560 another pentax products that will remainin the shelf.
which puts it neck and neck with the Lecia SF 58 and that flash doesn't even have the kind of output power, WR and video features that the pentax unit has.

I Noticed something interesting on the B&H photo website about the new Pentax AF540FGZ II flash - they are actually stating the duration of the flash pulse*, something pentax has never done before ( to my knowledge)....I wonder if that is the T.5 or the T.1 time.

* the specifications listing states durations from: 1/1200 - 1/20000 sec
08-31-2013, 04:31 AM   #126
Inactive Account

which puts it neck and neck with the Lecia SF 58 and that flash doesn't even have the kind of output power, WR and video features that the pentax unit has.

I Noticed something interesting on the B&H photo website about the new Pentax AF540FGZ II flash - they are actually stating the duration of the flash pulse*, something pentax has never done before ( to my knowledge)....I wonder if that is the T.5 or the T.1 time.

* the specifications listing states durations from: 1/1200 - 1/20000 sec
What comparisn are you doing? Leica? Com on are serious? They arerebarnding a metz and selling at double price cause is leica.
Like they did th dlux series, rebranded panasonic.
Pentax is not leica brand , leica is not comparable. And by the way i will take metz 52 af everyday, at least the a mode of falsh is much reliable.

Compare the flash to nikonor oly or anon flagship...or nissin, yongno ortriopio. The triopio i bough recycle in less than three second, and has a zoom range of 20 180 mm...pentax p till 85 like my viitar 285 hv.

In aaddiction pentax 540 still recycle in 5 second like the first version...tis is a joke. I hopeat least it will use a battery pack, even if for quantum or propac is practically impossible togond reliable cable, another point in faour of metz 58.

But i agree with you. I m selling most of my apsc pentax gear and buy nikon or canon full frame, its time to realizepentax is foramateur.
08-31-2013, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #127

In this case I have to agree with digitalis, the problem is not about going to each light to set it up, and in any case when you start you already have an idea and you set each light individually, one at the time, not 4 lights together and waiste days trying to figure out... that's a different story.

I can go from one:

100% artificial

mixed ambient + flash:

To two:
100% flash

To multiple (can't remember, should be at least 3):
100% studio:

without having to swear and getting it done in relatively short time.
08-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #128
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
In this case I have to agree with digitalis, the problem is not about going to each light to set it up, and in any case when you start you already have an idea and you set each light individually, one at the time, not 4 lights together and waiste days trying to figure out... that's a different story.

I can go from one:

100% artificial

mixed ambient + flash:

To two:
100% flash

To multiple (can't remember, should be at least 3):
100% studio:

without having to swear and getting it done in relatively short time.

Sure but let'say you want to change setup fast or you want to create a different moode. Or let'say you work with umbrella softbox like i do sometimes, westcott apollo. I use mostly manual flash, godox, buthaving a capable wireless flash especially woth model or people, is a very good features, that we as pentax user don't have. I dont even talk about wedding photography where haing total control in camera is superb.
Wireless capable flash system is important for fast shooting, fast assignment when you dont havetime to seup and meter every light.

08-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #129

Sure but let'say you want to change setup fast or you want to create a different moode. Or let'say you work with umbrella softbox like i do sometimes, westcott apollo. I use mostly manual flash, godox, buthaving a capable wireless flash especially woth model or people, is a very good features, that we as pentax user don't have. I dont even talk about wedding photography where haing total control in camera is superb.
Wireless capable flash system is important for fast shooting, fast assignment when you dont havetime to seup and meter every light.
usually to me a light setup from scratch doesn't take less than 1/2 hour, so if you have to change completely mood in that session you should have a very good reason IMHO, what I do to find the metering without a meter as quick as I can, is start half way in the power scale, so if I have to make any change up or down it will not be exagerated, in any case before you even start shooting I advise you should have a vision of the final image.
and before you put a model under the lights you make sure you've tested the setup and you're ready to shoot...
I agree with the evident pentax limits but I don't want to create myself more hassels than I have to cope with...it would become a real nightmare.
08-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #130

AF 540FGZ II Flashgun £549.99
AF 360FGZ II Flashgun £399.99

Crazy a mid level gun priced at a high level gun, a high level gun priced at an insane level.
Damn right Pentax are not leica, time to get those Metz flashes asap folks you can get a lot of Metz for a lot less than even the 360FGZ
08-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But pentax can sleep sweet dreams.
Boriscleto is right. Adding to the Ignore list is fun!

Pleasant dreams.

And don't feed the trolls.

[EDIT:] From the Wikipedia discussion of trolls in Scandinavian mythology (Norse mythology).
A Scandinavian folk belief that lightning frightens away trolls and jötnar appears in numerous Scandinavian folktales, and may be a late reflection of the god Thor's role in fighting such beings
Interesting, given this thread is about strobe flash.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.
08-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #132
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Pleasant dreams.

Good point just a vit worst than: " if pentqx doesn't work
Grab a nikon'

That' s why pentax is numer last in the dsrl world.
08-31-2013, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why does every product announcement thread turn into a pissing match?

I can't even get threw a couple recent posts, let alone 10 pages of this crap.

People disagree, but I suppose seeing personal attacks come into the debate is uncalled for and rubs me the wrong way.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Pleasant dreams.

And don't feed the trolls.
I guess that is the answer?
08-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #134
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
Why does every product announcement thread turn into a pissing match?

I can't even get threw a couple recent posts, let alone 10 pages of this crap.

People disagree, but I suppose seeing personal attacks come into the debate is uncalled for and rubs me the wrong way.

I guess that is the answer?
I am literally stunned by comments from someone on this thread. I don't understand why people keep saying that Nikon has this feature and that, and that Pentax/Ricoh management/engineer should listen to them and get something like Nikon. Thank goodness Pentax/Ricoh don't listen to some individuals who claims that they know all about products and marketing. If Pentax products follow everything Canikon did in the past years, they would have been dead by now. I wonder if that person even noticed that the latest SB910 does not have the LED feature for video taking...and the new Pentax flash for lack of innovation?

Last edited by aleonx3; 08-31-2013 at 09:46 AM.
08-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know nothing about flashes but reading the Ricoh site, they have added new "modes" to the specs.

Does that hint to something new, different?

Legacy 540GZ Flash Modes:P-TTL auto, TTL auto, auto, manual

New 540GXII Flash Modes: P-TTL auto, manual, multi, wireless (P-TTL/Manual)

Thank you (anyone) for your input!