Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
Sure when. Somebody complain is a rice lowe.
The difference is made by constructive vs. baseless, destructive criticism - not by claims of loving Pentax, nor by claims of having so much Pentax equipment. A ricehigh would constantly engage in the later, eventually alternating with periods of trying to build "credibility" (e.g. by reiterating Chinese rumors to keep people interested).
There is no higher threat to a ricehigh than a brand new advanced Pentax product; as it would destroy his vision of Pentax being cr*p. Thus, with any such occasion he will instantly switch to attack-mode, bashing it to death - before relevant details are known.

But, leaving this matter aside, why are you still using Pentax if past, present and future Pentax products are inadequate for your needs? How did you get to "50 k" of such inadequate gear? It's a bit late to figure it out only now...

08-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have done what you describe - however I had my flash units properly setup beforehand and I never had to change a thing. Being prepared is one of the most important things about being a professional.

Leget this straight...you have 50K worth of Pentax gear and all you can do is complain? Forums like this are for the education of others through constructive criticism and sharing of ideas, not blatant hyperbolic criticism and arrogant chest beating. All the gear and no idea...that is just sad.

First is clear you don't have a clue. Second. In a model shooting you start with a setup maybe you decide change something, that means movimg around and losing time and much more stress.
Third you are stating that pentax is not for serious job, because you can use dad's nikon camera system...i think that paragraph show exactly why you not complaint....pentax cannot do that? Ok let's take dad d4 or mom hassy. The best part you think of this seriously, so at the end you are stating what i was talking about. Pentax is not for serious job, while i have always used it for, and nikon flash system is serious. What i exatly was saying from. The beginning.
And this flash won't change nothing cause apart weather sealing and a small led light they have the same spec.
So let's take a serious video....pentax can do that...let's take a canon 5d3...easier..
So better not complaint and just change gear because i have 20 pelican of photo gear....Likeyou wrote once.
By the way all the gear you have to produce the photo you posting? That's crazy.
08-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The difference is made by constructive vs. baseless, destructive criticism - not by claims of loving Pentax, nor by claims of having so much Pentax equipment. A ricehigh would constantly engage in the later, eventually alternating with periods of trying to build "credibility" (e.g. by reiterating Chinese rumors to keep people interested).
There is no higher threat to a ricehigh than a brand new advanced Pentax product; as it would destroy his vision of Pentax being cr*p. Thus, with any such occasion he will instantly switch to attack-mode, bashing it to death - before relevant details are known.

But, leaving this matter aside, why are you still using Pentax if past, present and future Pentax products are inadequate for your needs? How did you get to "50 k" of such inadequate gear? It's a bit late to figure it out only now...

I use pentax cause i begin and grow up with it.when pentax innovated. I like my 645dand the quality i can have for thatmoney. I like the camera holding and the iq. But im not blind.
And i'm not complainerat all...i have probably had much more sdm failure and i have never blamed pentax in as ingle post.
I have special deal with. Pentax europe, i appreciate their help in many situation, but i' m not blind to see that in the last year hey have innovated nothing in terms of photographic idea.
This flash is patethic but to realize this you must use flash extensevely and not only in camera.
For example why not adding a solution to attach gel filter and the flash change automatically wb with diferentgel, like nikon sb800 do?
And the price of this flash? 629 dollar? Thisis a joke? Not alloweed to complain of a price that put this flash 100 more than a canon rx600, by far a much better unit.
08-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

Personally i dont know wo is ricehigh, or your analisys of criticism. Probably knowing a lot of flash photography i understand , compared to other, the limit of the pentax flash system. You can use it, but is simply not on par compared to other system. And here we are agin...af , not on par,...video the same....lenses? Where are those fast sealed prime? Zero. Now a bunch of rebranded lenses and a 7000 dollar lens who nobody simply will buy.
In the last 2 years the only real good news is the sigma 18-35 and 35 in my opinion.

I use many brand , fujji oly pentax sigma...it' time to move on and realize the limit of thi system.

08-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #125
Pentaxian

In a model shooting you start with a setup maybe you decide change something, that means movimg around and losing time and much more stress.
I already formulate my lighting plans beforehand and relay them to my assistants (assuming I have need of them) before a shoot. If you're getting stressed by changing flash settings perhaps you should look into a different profession, do you think cardio surgeons get stressed about changing their scalpel blades? or elite soldiers getting stressed about changing the clip in their guns? you learn to do these things until you can't get them wrong - which is what distinguishes a professional from a rank amateur.

Pentax is not for serious job, while i have always used it for, and nikon flash system is serious.
I typically use my pentax K mount and Leica M cameras for personal work - I use my Canon, Nikon and medium format digital equipment for a majority of my professional engagements, not because one camera system is more "serious" than another - it is simply using the right tool for the job. You can't build a house using screws and a sledgehammer.

For example why not adding a solution to attach gel filter and the flash change automatically wb with diferentgel, like nikon sb800 do?
I use the Honl flash Gel system - which has a greater variety of flash gels than you can typically obtain for Nikon flash units.

You can use it, but is simply not on par compared to other system.
well take into account that pentax is a smaller company than Sony,Canon or Nikon - the only comparison we really have are Olympus and Leica and their flash systems aren't anything to write home about either (Especially Leica, which doesn't even produce a dedicated flash system for their M cameras. Leica just provides re-badged Metz flashes with an 50% price markup for the addition of the red dot.)

Where are those fast sealed prime? Zero
While not labelled as weather sealed, the DA*55mm f/1.4 was released several years ago- Pentax does mention the lens has seals to keep the elements out. But I suppose you already know that: with 50K of pentax gear you ought to have several hundred copies of that lens by now.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-31-2013 at 03:57 AM.
08-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #126
Veteran Member

I already formulate my lighting plans beforehand and relay them to my assistants (assuming I have need of them) before a shoot. If you're getting stressed by changing flash settings perhaps you should look into a different profession, do you think cardio surgeons get stressed about changing their scalpel blades? or elite soldiers getting stressed about changing the clip in their guns? you learn to do these things until you can't get them wrong - which is what distinguishes a professional from a rank amateur.

I typically use my pentax K mount and Leica M cameras for personal work - I use my Canon, Nikon and medium format digital equipment for a majority of my professional engagements, not because one camera system is more "serious" than another - it is simply using the right tool for the job. You can't build a house using screws and a sledgehammer.

I use the Honl flash Gel system - which has a greater variety of flash gels than you can typically obtain for Nikon flash units.
I stop discussing is totally useless. You just stated my point that pentax flash system is simply not on par with oher flash suystem, aka obsolete, and cost more.
I' m a traveler photographer so i dont have an assistant, and i setup my flash everywhere i need especialy outdoor and never in studio or rarely.
Looking from your gallery i am gentle not to comment about professionality.
08-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #127
Pentaxian

You just stated my point that pentax flash system is simply not on par with oher flash suystem, aka obsolete, and cost more.
Exactly where did I state this?

Looking from your gallery i am gentle not to comment about professionality.
As if comments from someone I don't even know, and never will know could possibly have any impact on me. Go ahead! criticism the hell out of my work! I always take it with a pinch of salt...good thing I have low blood pressure.
08-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash for Pentax DSLR Cameras 30439 B&H Photo

629 dollar...the most exepnsive hot shoe flash in the world. As the 560 another pentax products that will remainin the shelf.

08-31-2013, 04:11 AM   #129
Pentaxian

629 dollar...the most exepnsive hot shoe flash in the world. As the 560 another pentax products that will remainin the shelf.
which puts it neck and neck with the Lecia SF 58 and that flash doesn't even have the kind of output power, WR and video features that the pentax unit has.

I Noticed something interesting on the B&H photo website about the new Pentax AF540FGZ II flash - they are actually stating the duration of the flash pulse*, something pentax has never done before ( to my knowledge)....I wonder if that is the T.5 or the T.1 time.

* the specifications listing states durations from: 1/1200 - 1/20000 sec
08-31-2013, 04:31 AM   #130
Veteran Member

which puts it neck and neck with the Lecia SF 58 and that flash doesn't even have the kind of output power, WR and video features that the pentax unit has.

I Noticed something interesting on the B&H photo website about the new Pentax AF540FGZ II flash - they are actually stating the duration of the flash pulse*, something pentax has never done before ( to my knowledge)....I wonder if that is the T.5 or the T.1 time.

* the specifications listing states durations from: 1/1200 - 1/20000 sec
What comparisn are you doing? Leica? Com on are serious? They arerebarnding a metz and selling at double price cause is leica.
Like they did th dlux series, rebranded panasonic.
Pentax is not leica brand , leica is not comparable. And by the way i will take metz 52 af everyday, at least the a mode of falsh is much reliable.

Compare the flash to nikonor oly or anon flagship...or nissin, yongno ortriopio. The triopio i bough recycle in less than three second, and has a zoom range of 20 180 mm...pentax p till 85 like my viitar 285 hv.

In aaddiction pentax 540 still recycle in 5 second like the first version...tis is a joke. I hopeat least it will use a battery pack, even if for quantum or propac is practically impossible togond reliable cable, another point in faour of metz 58.

But i agree with you. I m selling most of my apsc pentax gear and buy nikon or canon full frame, its time to realizepentax is foramateur.
08-31-2013, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #131

In this case I have to agree with digitalis, the problem is not about going to each light to set it up, and in any case when you start you already have an idea and you set each light individually, one at the time, not 4 lights together and waiste days trying to figure out... that's a different story.

I can go from one:

100% artificial

mixed ambient + flash:

To two:
100% flash

To multiple (can't remember, should be at least 3):
100% studio:

without having to swear and getting it done in relatively short time.
08-31-2013, 04:49 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
In this case I have to agree with digitalis, the problem is not about going to each light to set it up, and in any case when you start you already have an idea and you set each light individually, one at the time, not 4 lights together and waiste days trying to figure out... that's a different story.

I can go from one:

100% artificial

mixed ambient + flash:

To two:
100% flash

To multiple (can't remember, should be at least 3):
100% studio:

without having to swear and getting it done in relatively short time.

Sure but let'say you want to change setup fast or you want to create a different moode. Or let'say you work with umbrella softbox like i do sometimes, westcott apollo. I use mostly manual flash, godox, buthaving a capable wireless flash especially woth model or people, is a very good features, that we as pentax user don't have. I dont even talk about wedding photography where haing total control in camera is superb.
Wireless capable flash system is important for fast shooting, fast assignment when you dont havetime to seup and meter every light.
08-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #133

Sure but let'say you want to change setup fast or you want to create a different moode. Or let'say you work with umbrella softbox like i do sometimes, westcott apollo. I use mostly manual flash, godox, buthaving a capable wireless flash especially woth model or people, is a very good features, that we as pentax user don't have. I dont even talk about wedding photography where haing total control in camera is superb.
Wireless capable flash system is important for fast shooting, fast assignment when you dont havetime to seup and meter every light.
usually to me a light setup from scratch doesn't take less than 1/2 hour, so if you have to change completely mood in that session you should have a very good reason IMHO, what I do to find the metering without a meter as quick as I can, is start half way in the power scale, so if I have to make any change up or down it will not be exagerated, in any case before you even start shooting I advise you should have a vision of the final image.
and before you put a model under the lights you make sure you've tested the setup and you're ready to shoot...
I agree with the evident pentax limits but I don't want to create myself more hassels than I have to cope with...it would become a real nightmare.
08-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #134

AF 540FGZ II Flashgun £549.99
AF 360FGZ II Flashgun £399.99

Crazy a mid level gun priced at a high level gun, a high level gun priced at an insane level.
Damn right Pentax are not leica, time to get those Metz flashes asap folks you can get a lot of Metz for a lot less than even the 360FGZ
08-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #135
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But pentax can sleep sweet dreams.
Boriscleto is right. Adding to the Ignore list is fun!

Pleasant dreams.

And don't feed the trolls.

[EDIT:] From the Wikipedia discussion of trolls in Scandinavian mythology (Norse mythology).
A Scandinavian folk belief that lightning frightens away trolls and jötnar appears in numerous Scandinavian folktales, and may be a late reflection of the god Thor's role in fighting such beings
Interesting, given this thread is about strobe flash.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.