Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
is there a digital 67 coming?
Now that would be a statement!

I hereby start a not completely unfounded rumour that a 67 mirrorless is in the works.

We already have this hint from Kitazawa: "As far as mirror-less design is concerned, it is more suitable for medium format applications where mirror slap is a bigger concern.". Now combine that with the fact that mirror slap is not really a big concern on the 645 series cameras, but indeed a problem on 6x7 and 67 cameras, and there you go :-)

08-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Now combine that with the fact that mirror slap is not really a big concern on the 645 series cameras, but indeed a problem on 6x7 and 67 cameras
Shutter bounce was also problematic on the Pentax 67 as well because the shutter curtains had a considerable amount of mass - so I think if they used a CCD sensor with a global shutter which would give the additional benefit of being able to sync with flash at just about every shutter speed and you would have a real winner...
08-28-2013, 03:38 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Inactive Account

still no ratio and group control still no zoom more tha 85, what a disappointment.
super price. led light good but very small.
600 dollar for weather sealing. i shoot 80000 frames here, and i probably have never used or just 1 2 time the flash under rain, i mean heavy. normal rain is always no problem with any flash i have used.
probably pentax think that flash must be used only in camera, while the rest of the world think good flash photography is when the flash is detached from the camera.
yesterday i bought a cheap chinese flash. is the exact copy of the canon 600, with radio transmitter incorporated. 149 with every whistle and belts, included control of power and group and ratio. with 600 dollar you can buy 6 flash, the lower model cost 65 dollar.
i planned to disinvest in pentax gear, keep only my 645d and a k5 with a zoom, but now my old flashes have also lost value.
08-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Make me feel happy
AW, led, battery door fix,
then other colors than black, prepare for a digital 67 wow...
a group function, and radio controlled, would be perfect...

08-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
How much moolah for other weather sealed flashes, to have some valid competition comparison point? Say that one from Canon?
Ah yes, let me guess, it's a Canon, so we are willing to pay Canon whatever they ask for.
The 600EX-RT is expensive about £400 odd (it's on cashback in the UK right now so that's the current deal with the cashback)
But it's got something nothing else has right now that's radio control for flashes.

The prices do look high for the Pentax models, esp the mid level one I mean it's usually around the £200 mark for such a flash not a lot more than that. This looks like it will be £300+ street price and that's a joke for a mid level power flash unit WR or not. So where's the radio control then? The new AF540 unit could be as much as £500+ going on the prices I've seen so far.

So if you thought Canon were pricey for flashes, well think again looks like Pentax have them beat
08-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #51

The new AF 540 FGZ is smaller than the first version (3 cm less tall).
It's a welcome improvement!

QuoteQuote:
AF 540 FGZ
Dimensions et poids 76 mm (L) × 142 mm (H) × 107 mm (T)
380 g sans les piles

AF 540 FGZ II
Dimensions et poids
76 mm (W) × 113 mm (H) × 108 mm (T) (3.0'' × 4.4'' × 4.2'')
Env. 350 g (12.3 oz.) sans batteries
And I think also less expensive, no ??
08-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
How much moolah for other weather sealed flashes, to have some valid competition comparison point? Say that one from Canon?
Ah yes, let me guess, it's a Canon, so we are willing to pay Canon whatever they ask for.
I don't remember if the Nikon SB710 flash is weather sealed or not...but it's $300. It feels like it's sealed pretty good though

08-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #53
Pentaxian

A bit of a strange update again.

The most pressing issue with Pentax flashes is the hopelessly outdated P-TTL. Or do the new flashes give you a means to control the light ratio output of slave flashes?

Furthermore, the trend is away from optical ("wireless") communication towards RF communication. More and more flash models will support RF communication with a master controller.

If one goes through the effort of creating new flash models then why miss out on these important points?

I have a feeling the weather-sealing is not the unique selling proposition it appears to be on paper. That leaves the LED light, which may be great if it works well as a modelling light.

In any event, these prices are disheartening, AFAIC. A flash tube and a capacitor, a display, a few buttons and some electronics do not cost that much to produce. I'd rather buy a Metz 58 AF-2 or three cheap flashes with built-in RF receivers and still come away with cash. With the latter I'm losing P-TTL. Did I say lose?
08-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Metz has had secondary flash for years...

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It's quite an interesting feature - I don't think any other high end flash has a similar feature?
Looks like Pentax figured out something new here....modelling light, video constant light, and secondary fill light when bouncing.

Brilliant!

Cheers,
Cameron
08-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The KX doesn't support an internal AF assist light, so I'm sure it's an insurmountable problem. The camera probably lacks the basic ability to send a request to the AF assist light since it's not in the hardware to start with.
I'm not sure you're wrong, but i'm not sure you're right either :-) Sometimes its easier to leave programming in, rather than try to remove everything that doesn't pertain. In any case, they may have made it available for external flashes. Until someone tries it on a Kx, we may not know for sure.Worked well on the k10, k20 and my current k5.
08-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Ricoh is moving ahead...

I'm delighted to see Ricoh move ahead with some "housecleaning" work on the pentax system, e.g. new coatings on limited lenses and now this update on flashes that was sorely needed.

Its definitely a good sign!!!
08-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm not sure you're wrong, but i'm not sure you're right either :-) Sometimes its easier to leave programming in, rather than try to remove everything that doesn't pertain. In any case, they may have made it available for external flashes. Until someone tries it on a Kx, we may not know for sure.Worked well on the k10, k20 and my current k5.
Well, an old SFX can control an AF illuminator and so can a Z10 ...
08-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
still no ratio and group control still no zoom more tha 85, what a disappointment.
super price. led light good but very small.
600 dollar for weather sealing. i shoot 80000 frames here, and i probably have never used or just 1 2 time the flash under rain, i mean heavy. normal rain is always no problem with any flash i have used.
probably pentax think that flash must be used only in camera, while the rest of the world think good flash photography is when the flash is detached from the camera.
yesterday i bought a cheap chinese flash. is the exact copy of the canon 600, with radio transmitter incorporated. 149 with every whistle and belts, included control of power and group and ratio. with 600 dollar you can buy 6 flash, the lower model cost 65 dollar.
i planned to disinvest in pentax gear, keep only my 645d and a k5 with a zoom, but now my old flashes have also lost value.
I own 7 flashes and none of them is a Pentax one,
Af540II Aw?
Sure... old unreliable p-ttl is still the same, stone-age wireless capabilities still the same, useless 5 pins port still the same... and I do no usually go to the swamp to do my strobist stuff...
don't see any real improvement, serious stuff is still missing, no groups, no manual ratio wireless control from camera, no ttl / manual assignable groups possible, no strobo, limited zoom range, no pc-sync port!!, no fry protection, updatable firmware?, still 1/180th sync...come on...
08-29-2013, 12:55 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
old unreliable p-ttl is still the same, stone-age wireless capabilities still the same, useless 5 pins port still the same... and I do no usually go to the swamp to do my strobist stuff... don't see any real improvement, serious stuff is still missing, no groups, no manual ratio wireless control from camera, no ttl / manual assignable groups possible, no strobo, limited zoom range, no pc-sync port!!, no fry protection, updatable firmware?, still 1/180th sync
Typical complaints made by someone who is more concerned with the limitations of their gear rather than the limitations of their own vision.
08-29-2013, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Typical complaints made by someone who is more concerned with the limitations of their gear rather than the limitations of their own vision.
No, typical complaints of pentax users who need third party gear to get the job done, want to hear one of the most stupid?
You need a hotshoe adapter with a sync port to be able to use an industry standard pocket wizard with an af540, no way you're going to plug the thing directly into the flash,and same goes for every trigger without an hotshoe.
I understand most people probably just put the flash on the camera and bang it the subject's face, but there's people trying to do other things out there.
Probably there is many photographer's who find having to repeatedly deal with workarounds fun, but I'm sure there is a number of other ones who would like to have normal working tools at times,
I don't care, I don't need to religiously defend the brand I shoot with, it's just a tool.