Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To Pentax users this reminds of Optio RZ-whatever, to Ricoh users this reminds of the CX-whatever. Let's say it's rather both, and instead of doing two, like before, they are making just one now.
Thank God!

08-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought I read that they plan to brand all the compacts Ricoh. Interesting, since compact as an entire class of cameras is being eaten alive by phonecams. I guess Ricoh doesn't want to risk the Pentax brand name on a dying market segment (or something).
08-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought I read that they plan to brand all the compacts Ricoh. Interesting, since compact as an entire class of cameras is being eaten alive by phonecams. I guess Ricoh doesn't want to risk the Pentax brand name on a dying market segment (or something).
Actually premium, larger-sensored compact arena is one worth conquering.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
08-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't this HZ whatever just a run-of-the-mill compact? a repackaged Optio?

08-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a repackaged Ricoh PX, with a new slightly wider and longer Ricoh lens but without the weather sealing. The only thing Pentax about it is the SR. It even has the same 16MP CCD sensor as the PX complete with 1280 video, so it's clearly meant to be a new 'budget' model and the price will likely reflect this.

I haven't seen any images of the camera actually turned on yet, but it should have the standard Ricoh firmware and interface, not the Pentax/Optio one.

Interesting to see Ricoh no longer just referring to their models in 35mm equivalence, they've actually written it on the lens now.
08-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
It's a repackaged Ricoh PX
Huh. Interesting. Then why is Pentax DOOMED?

08-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
It's a repackaged Ricoh PX, with a new slightly wider and longer Ricoh lens but without the weather sealing.
As far as the Ricoh line goes, this looks more like a CX camera to me. The CX-6 was very nice for this kind of camera. It had PDAF through a separate sensor and the same screen as the GR - basically the best on the market even now. I think it also had Ricoh's own sensor-shift stabilisation, from the GRD IV.
Ricoh CX6 - Ricoh Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

But the camera this most resembles is the Pentax RX10, in terms of overall shape, specs and control layout.
Pentax Optio RZ10 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Say what you like about Ricoh and Pentax overall, but Ricoh was always better at making advanced compacts than Pentax. That's why I thought they were a good fit. So it's is a bit worrying to see them risking their reputation by dumbing down a product like this. Given the huge amount of Pentax stuff that's coming out, it looks like Ricoh fans have more to be worried about.

08-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As far as the Ricoh line goes, this looks more like a CX camera to me. The CX-6 was very nice for this kind of camera. It had PDAF through a separate sensor and the same screen as the GR - basically the best on the market even now. I think it also had Ricoh's own sensor-shift stabilisation, from the GRD IV.
Ricoh CX6 - Ricoh Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
I too thought this looks like a Caplio-descent camera with a new SR label. I tried a Caplio a few years back, before I gave up trying to convince myself that I could be happy using a small-sensor cam as my main device.